SEC Story

PChamp119

I ended up making my predictions on how each team would do throughout the season game-by-game. I decided to make a story during the season/post-season on these predictions. Just thought I'd share them with you guys.

Alabama will come out slow against Hawaii, breaking in a new quarterback. They will win a close game and many will laugh thinking they will be an easy target, only to be surprised later by upsetting Florida in Gainesville. Better than the experts thought, Bama fans will be excited for 2007 after a successful rebuilding year and losing closely to top programs LSU and Auburn because all their tough games (except Auburn) will be at home. Baby face Shula will have a lot on his shoulders as the Bama fans continue to fail to look at today and focus on the future (or past)

Arkansas will be an improved team, but not the surprise team everyone expected. A win over Spurrier will keep Nutt his job and fans excited for next season with Mustain taking control of the offense

Tennessee will be an improved team with the addition of David Cutcliffe. People will talk about Fulmer's resignation following a tough 1-2 start after the loss to Florida. Tennessee will go on a run and everyone will say Phil and UT are back after upsets against UGA and Bama only to falter to Spurrier and LSU. 8-4 is better than 5-6 after beating Vandy

UGA will appear to defend their SEC Crown as a serious contender as critics wonder how Mark Richt has done it again. With no proven QB, they will fall to Tennessee's defense and people will wonder if Richt will continue losing to the Gators until the end of time. Losing at Auburn will cap off a disappointing second half of the season, but keeping the games close will have fans excited for next year

Steve Spurrier will enter the season with high hopes thanks to his rendition of Blake Mitchell, only for the 'ol Ball Coach to leave Death Valley pondering how many more years he can stay in Columbia and start looking for a replacement. Beating Fulmer when Phil thinks things are going his way will keep him smiling

Beating Vanderbilt again and showing slight improvement from last year and being only 1 game away from a bowl game will bring a large debate to Rich Brooks future. Improving, but is this the best they will be? After a slow start, at the end of the season, Brooks will ask himself "How did I lose to Ole Miss?"

Vanderbilt will be back to being Vanderbilt again and people will finally see that Bobby Johnson was just lucky last year with Jay Cutler. Nobody can win at Vandy, don't feel bad Bobby

Urban Meyer will start the same as he did last year with a win over Tennessee. After being upset again by Joe Kine's tenacious defense, fans will wonder if Meyer's offense in the SEC is a joke. He will turn that around with an upset over LSU to get the fans excited again, only to fall to Tuberville's defense and unable to figure out Borges offense in Auburn. Florida will be forgotten from the SEC East race until they win in Jacksonville thanks to UGA's slide and win out to head to Atlanta. Chris Leak will have a great season, similar to Jason Campbell of 2004, but without a ring

Sylvestor Croom will learn that green is the only color that matters when he can't fill in the seats. He picked up a devastating program, but those in Starkville will give him only one more year to show improvement.

Les Miles will have no clue what to do with his quarterback controversy. He will quickly learn that last year he was able to take advantage of some fortunate opportunities, opportunities that will not arise this year. Not having an answer for Urban Meyer's offense in Gainesville and not having Vaughn miss 5 FGs will keep the Bayou Bengals out of Atlanta. The critics will continue to wonder if Les Miles was the right hire, even after consecutive 10+ wins seasons

Brent Schaeffer will not win in his opening debut as a Rebel thanks to not knowing the Ed Orgeron offense yet. The Rebels will barely defeat Missouri and perform well against Kentucky, having fans thinking Ole Miss is back with lil Vick, only to be embarrassed by Wake Forest. They'll beat Vandy and they will wonder if Ed is head coaching material. The only excuse I could see being used is if Brent is hurt in the Wake Forest game as to why Ole Miss can't beat a .500 team

Auburn will end the season-opener (or even non-conference game) jinx versus BCS Conference teams with an opening win. Having the only proven returning starting quarterback (without controversy), will give the Tigers an advantage above all other SEC teams. Answering calls to a good offensive line will make this the last year critics mentioning the O-Line as a pre-season question mark for years to come. The running game will give ease to the breaking in of new wide receivers. After an early win versus LSU, the schedule is nice with not having back-to-back tough games as they will have ample time to solve Meyer's offense, keep the Dawg's sliding down a hill and having more talent (not to mention out-coaching) in Tuscaloosa. Beating Meyer again in Atlanta will send the Tigers to a major BCS Bowl, but where?

Auburn 12-0 8-0

LSU 10-2 6-2

Alabama 9-3 5-3

Arkansas 7-5 4-4

Ole Miss 5-7 3-5

Miss State 3-9 0-8

Florida 10-2 6-2

Georgia 9-3 5-3

Tennessee 8-4 5-3

South Carolina 7-5 4-4

Kentucky 5-7 2-6

Vanderbilt 3-9 0-8

Good Read!!!

I agree with most of the predicted records..... AU 12-0??? Don't know about that, but I'll let it slide since you are an AU fan and this is an AU board. :D

LSU at 10-2.... I'll take that, considering the schedule....but as i've said before....THERE IS NO QB CONTROVERSY!!!!

I don't understand there being any QB controversy at LSU. JRussell should be experienced and strong this year. I'd think it's his job to lose.

I don't understand there being any QB controversy at LSU.  JRussell should be experienced and strong this year.  I'd think it's his job to lose.

253886[/snapback]

Exactly!!! It has a lot to do with Flynn's performance in the Bowl Game. Flynn was awesome but that was a full blown team effort. People say Russell makes poor decisions but they forget the game winning performances he made happen! And they forget last year was his first full year as a starter.

Exactly!!! It has a lot to do with Flynn's performance in the Bowl Game. Flynn was awesome but that was a full blown team effort. People say Russell makes poor decisions but they forget the game winning performances he made happen! And they forget last year was his first full year as a starter.

253891[/snapback]

I have never understood why everyone was so high on Flynn and not on Russell? All he seems to do is win games. In my opinion he had to do as much learning last year as Brandon Cox had to with us. The only question I see concerning the QB @ LSU is which one of the sportswriters eat their words first. Russell is the QB no if ands or buts!

My only concern with Russell is the lack of Yards after Catch. It just seems he makes the receivers dive or have to get down to catch his balls.... rarely hitting them in stride. But, the guy is a proven winner and a big time playmaker when the game is on the line.

As for Cox, I didn't really know too much about him before the season. I remember watching the AU/GT game (Just got power back after Katrina) and he looked absolutely terrible. I remember thinking that Auburn was gonna lose 4-5 games with this kid at qb. However, he continually improved throughout the season and has become a solid qb.

Russel is the starting qb. It's the fact that there is that "controversy" that lingers above that is going to effect things. He may be the starting qb with all guarantees, but there is still the competition regardless where Cox does not have that problem of somebody maybe taking the job away from him.

I would love to see Auburn go 12-0. I honestly don't think they will go 12-0, but there isn't "That game" that has me saying "yea, we are going to lose that one." Last year for example, I predicted 10-1 losing to LSU bc I just did not see us winning that game. If you told me "ok you think 11-1, who will Auburn lose to?" I really don't know who it will be - it'll just be somebody. Every game I see on that schedule I see Auburn beating that team. I see AU as the favorite in each game. I just don't have a reason for AU losing any specific game. All the other games for all the other teams in the conference I see a specific reason or gut feeling on why that team will win.

Yeah the controversy is def. gonna weigh on LSU this year. I Love LSU and its fans but.... the first time Russell throws an int., an errant pass, doesn't run when the pocket is closing in, or a drive stalls against ULL... alot of the fans in DV are gonna start booing.

It's sad, but true. This happened in '04 with Randall/Russell. If this does happen, I predict LSU having 3 maybe 4 losses.

My only concern with Russell is the lack of Yards after Catch.  It just seems he makes the receivers dive or have to get down to catch his balls.... rarely hitting them in stride.  But, the guy is a proven winner and a big time playmaker when the game is on the line. 

As for Cox, I didn't really know too much about him before the season.  I remember watching the AU/GT game (Just got power back after Katrina) and he looked absolutely terrible.  I remember thinking that Auburn was gonna lose 4-5 games with this kid at qb.  However, he continually improved throughout the season and has become a solid qb.

253897[/snapback]

You obviously pay a lot closer attention to Russell than what I do. Maybe his accuracy is a little off. I just cannot speak to that.

Cox got thrown to the wolves and we could not block anything. No established running game at the time and asking him to do WAY too much on his own. As displeased as I was with dropping ANOTHER opening game I really felt good about Brandon because the more he got pounded on the more he got up and got right back in the defenses' faces. he took no lip off any of them. I like a QB that thinks he can whip everyones arse.

Archived