New Scoreboard

autiger162005

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick funny story. 2004 Iron Bowl. Very tough ticket to get in the Auburn section. I got two tickets for my dad and I, and, right after Tiger Walk, walked up the ramp on the visitor's side. Having never been to BDS, we walked up the ramp, got to the top, then went and sat down. Here's the best part. Nobody ever stopped us. Nobody ever looked at our tickets. Nobody ever asked for our tickets. We walked straight in the stadium, wouldn't have even needed tickets! Hahahahaha!

(I do believe that security was better than the ones at LSU this past year, when friends of mine randomly walked out onto the playing field about an hour before the game, did cartwheels in the endzone, etc. No credentials or anything..)

Old school :thumbsup: Very Very OLD school

Be careful, bama will be copying it next thing you know. In case you don't, know this is not the main scoreboard. The Jumbotron at the other end is. And by the way it was the first Jumbotron in the state. And backward old Auburn's stadium had the first enclosed end zone, first upper deck, first skyboxes, etc., of any on campus stadium in the state.

I keep waiting to see Dumbo fly over BD stadium before a game.

Are you talking about tuberville? :poke:

Why does it matter who had what in their stadium first? Honestly, who keeps up with that?

Be careful, bama will be copying it next thing you know. In case you don't, know this is not the main scoreboard. The Jumbotron at the other end is. And by the way it was the first Jumbotron in the state. And backward old Auburn's stadium had the first enclosed end zone, first upper deck, first skyboxes, etc., of any on campus stadium in the state.

Are you talking about tuberville? :poke:

Why does it matter who had what in their stadium first? Honestly, who keeps up with that?

Thank you, this was one of the worst threads ever. For many years now I would say Auburn has definitely had the stadium edge but while I still personally prefer Auburn's stadium(duh) I would say uat has the edge now. I don't expect it to last long though. While we may be a few years away from bowling in one of our upperdecks I believe they are planning making a plaza on the north endzone side(similar to tiger walk plaza on the south end) and I feel like the reason the POS scoreboard we got has so many advertisements on it is because it is temporary. With the renovations this year and future renovations don't expect to be ahead of AU for long...

Quick funny story. 2004 Iron Bowl. Very tough ticket to get in the Auburn section. I got two tickets for my dad and I, and, right after Tiger Walk, walked up the ramp on the visitor's side. Having never been to BDS, we walked up the ramp, got to the top, then went and sat down. Here's the best part. Nobody ever stopped us. Nobody ever looked at our tickets. Nobody ever asked for our tickets. We walked straight in the stadium, wouldn't have even needed tickets! Hahahahaha!

(I do believe that security was better than the ones at LSU this past year, when friends of mine randomly walked out onto the playing field about an hour before the game, did cartwheels in the endzone, etc. No credentials or anything..)

Is this true? I've been looking for some tickets for this year's Iron Bowl... but if I can just straggle in then I'd rather do that :big:

bg03---Basically i was trying to show that I didnt hijack...merely responded to your post.

BG never hijacks a thread. He only responds. :moon:

Trey,

They had to do that because one side of BDS is a fraction lower than the other. So it wouldnt be structurally sound had they tried to make both sides meet.

The original intent was to make it one curve like OSU, but when they began work on doing the designs, they noticed that it wasnt feasible.

I agree, it would have looked nicer, but ill take it the way it is.

Stick to computerese, and let structural engineers render engineering judgments. The reason it is screwed up is because they deviated from their original master plan for the upper decks. They tried to squeeze in an extra level of suites on the newer mid-90s side, which caused it to misalign with the older side. That has nothing to do with structural soundness - just sightlines and accessibility. When they decided to go with the endzone and realized that those ramps were in the way, they went shopping for another designer, which resulted in the umpteenth rendition of the trilinear endzone layout, joining aTm, gt, vt, florida, all 3 florida NFL teams, etc. Congratulations, you guys have a signature on your stadium from the Wal-Mart of sports architecture. Auburn's addition will be unique and tailored to fit with the remainder of the stadium.

By the way, the skewed beam at the upper left (northwest) expansion joint is a nice touch. Whoops!

Back to the original topic, the north scoreboard is temporary, and is not a significant expense - maybe $10k, including removal and installation. The new videoboard will replace it there in the north end, as the south endzone will be the first to expand. The old north board had water/electrical issues and there was not enough time to replace it properly this year. A new larger board will require additional support, and with the work going on with the stadium renovation (especially relocating a lot of electrical a/v stuff down to that north end) it just couldn't go this year. Besides, the technology on the video boards is still evolving, so waiting will either get them a better system, or a better price.

I have a question for you freebody.....If Auburn does expand their stadium (and I would image that AU would increase their stadium capacity to be greater than ours), do you think that every game would be sold out as it is projected to do so at BD? Last year every Alabama home game reguardless of wether it was Tennessee or even Middle Tenn State was sold out at home. Do you think that Auburn would be able to do the same with a newly expanded JH stadium?

Bottomline: Both stadiums look nice. Fans on both sides will enjoy the improvements.

I think part of the improvements at Bryant Denny ARE better looking than Jordan Hare. I think some of them are not even close. Specifically, the locker room at UA is a cheap imitation of Auburn's locker room, etc. I have been in AU's locker room, recruiting area (very recently), and Auburn looks far better. This, of course, is my opinion though. Of course I'm going to say I overall like Auburn's stuff better.

Anywho, can't wait till we are talking about Irons running for 200+ and how Hawaii took Bammer to overtime.

I have a question for you freebody.....If Auburn does expand their stadium (and I would image that AU would increase their stadium capacity to be greater than ours), do you think that every game would be sold out as it is projected to do so at BD? Last year every Alabama home game reguardless of wether it was Tennessee or even Middle Tenn State was sold out at home. Do you think that Auburn would be able to do the same with a newly expanded JH stadium?

Hey, I don't sell the tickets - I just buy them. I don't see how all games at bds were sold out, when attendance was below 90%.

NCAA attendance figures (go to page 2 for uat)

I think the twelfth game would be a key, in that it provides an opportunity to get a better non-conference home game by alternating home-and-home series with other upper-echelon BCS teams, while still having seven home games each season. Auburn has been stuck with some bad nonconference games lately - many of these were contracted and scheduled back when Lude was the AD. Some of those poorly-crafted contracts were subsequently canceled by the other party for little or no penalty (Bowling Green, for instance), which led to even worse nonconference games. While Jacobs has had some trouble in lining up quality future opponents due to the recent success, it will improve with the flexibility of that extra game.

If Auburn sold only full-season tickets, they could sell all 94,000 of them. All SEC teams have the same problem when it comes to selling tickets - you have to hold out about 10-12k from your full season books to provide to the other SEC teams for their fans. Many SEC teams sell their portion of the away tickets, but when the visiting team returns unsold tickets (as late as the week of the game), then there becomes a glut of tickets on the market, usually for a "bad" opponent. Auburn is traditionally not a strong walk-up market, because of location. People do not hop in their car and drive in for a game and drive out like they can going from B'ham down I-59, or from Atlanta to Athens. Traffic getting into and out of a small college town like Auburn does not lend itself to a convenient afternoon trip for a game, so "impulse" attendance is typically lower for Auburn. I have always known gameday in Auburn to be an all-day (and ideally all-weekend) event, but I think one of the goals of the ever-changing tailgating rules at Auburn is to increase the convenience for people who just want to come to the game and go back home.

What I think will happen is Auburn will continue with the growing trend among other schools that are going away from the old gentlemen's-agreement of hospitality for the visiting fans. (Most notably gt and msu, but others as well). Instead of providing the visiting tickets as a contiguous block in one location, I think the extreme sides and upper rows of a new endzone upper deck would become the "visiting section", along with the ends of the sideline upper decks. I can't imagine they would move all of the visitor's tickets out of the northeast corner of the lower bowl, but it could happen. That way, the full-season tickets are all in the lower bowl and center of the sideline upper decks, which are the closest and best seats - the ones you want a butt in every week. If msu or uk or vandy (if we can't get rid of them) or some pick-a-corner-of-louisiana school doesn't sell their tickets, then so what - the expansion proforma will work because of the additional premium seating added by the expansion, along with the completely-full-half-the-season "general" seating.

Of course, when the sideline decks were built, they were not immediately full either - but I wouldn't naively just say "if you build it, they will come". Timing will be key as well - you do not want to open extra seats for a schedule like 2007's. I think they would need to get creative with their pricing and marketing. If you truly want to increase attendance across-the-board, then offer the extra or late-return tickets to the crappy games at a reduced rate. There is a tricky supply-and-demand issue there, and you have to avoid undercutting yourself by having folks pass on the tickets initially in hopes of getting them at the reduced late price. But, since those tickets would typically be for the less-sexy games, then that may not be as big an issue.

Like I said, selling the tickets is not my job. Ideally, as an Auburn man, my job would be to support the expansion (literally and figuratively).

Hey, I don't sell the tickets - I just buy them. I don't see how all games at bds were sold out, when attendance was below 90%.

I think the twelfth game would be a key, in that it provides an opportunity to get a better non-conference home game by alternating home-and-home series with other upper-echelon BCS teams, while still having seven home games each season. Auburn has been stuck with some bad nonconference games lately - many of these were contracted and scheduled back when Lude was the AD. Some of those poorly-crafted contracts were subsequently canceled by the other party for little or no penalty (Bowling Green, for instance), which led to even worse nonconference games. While Jacobs has had some trouble in lining up quality future opponents due to the recent success, it will improve with the flexibility of that extra game.

If Auburn sold only full-season tickets, they could sell all 94,000 of them. All SEC teams have the same problem when it comes to selling tickets - you have to hold out about 10-12k from your full season books to provide to the other SEC teams for their fans. Many SEC teams sell their portion of the away tickets, but when the visiting team returns unsold tickets (as late as the week of the game), then there becomes a glut of tickets on the market, usually for a "bad" opponent. Auburn is traditionally not a strong walk-up market, because of location. People do not hop in their car and drive in for a game and drive out like they can going from B'ham down I-59, or from Atlanta to Athens. Traffic getting into and out of a small college town like Auburn does not lend itself to a convenient afternoon trip for a game, so "impulse" attendance is typically lower for Auburn. I have always known gameday in Auburn to be an all-day (and ideally all-weekend) event, but I think one of the goals of the ever-changing tailgating rules at Auburn is to increase the convenience for people who just want to come to the game and go back home.

What I think will happen is Auburn will continue with the growing trend among other schools that are going away from the old gentlemen's-agreement of hospitality for the visiting fans. (Most notably gt and msu, but others as well). Instead of providing the visiting tickets as a contiguous block in one location, I think the extreme sides and upper rows of a new endzone upper deck would become the "visiting section", along with the ends of the sideline upper decks. I can't imagine they would move all of the visitor's tickets out of the northeast corner of the lower bowl, but it could happen. That way, the full-season tickets are all in the lower bowl and center of the sideline upper decks, which are the closest and best seats - the ones you want a butt in every week. If msu or uk or vandy (if we can't get rid of them) or some pick-a-corner-of-louisiana school doesn't sell their tickets, then so what - the expansion proforma will work because of the additional premium seating added by the expansion, along with the completely-full-half-the-season "general" seating.

Of course, when the sideline decks were built, they were not immediately full either - but I wouldn't naively just say "if you build it, they will come". Timing will be key as well - you do not want to open extra seats for a schedule like 2007's. I think they would need to get creative with their pricing and marketing. If you truly want to increase attendance across-the-board, then offer the extra or late-return tickets to the crappy games at a reduced rate. There is a tricky supply-and-demand issue there, and you have to avoid undercutting yourself by having folks pass on the tickets initially in hopes of getting them at the reduced late price. But, since those tickets would typically be for the less-sexy games, then that may not be as big an issue.

Like I said, selling the tickets is not my job. Ideally, as an Auburn man, my job would be to support the expansion (literally and figuratively).

The site you gave is a little misleading, it gives the % based on our stadium's maxium capacity at 92,138 (which is the max capacity in 2006) and uses our attendance in 2005. FYI - Our stadium's max capacity was at 83,818 in 2004 and 81018 in 2005 (because of construction during that year). A bad mistake made by someone. I did find this from the site you provided.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/single...teamattend.html

Notice if you will every HOME game UA played, all 81018 seats SOLD OUT. Auburn had 3 games listed that were sold out: GT,SC and UA. If you will, please note that the less important games such as Western KY (80632 max cap) and Ball State (78427 max cap) did not sell out. Infact, only 3 of the 7 games at JH sold out. Based on this fact alone I see no need for JH to expand.

THIS IS ON 7 PAGES!!!! move it to smack talk because thats what it is. dumbass smack talk

I don't consider this smack talk. Most of the negative comments about the scoreboard have actually come from Auburn fans.

Help me out here. If the final score is YellaWood 12 Colonial Bank 23, how'd we do??? We're getting worse than NASCAR. I guess it's legal which distinquishes us from prostitutes.

War YellaWood Eagle, Hey! (Bet that'd bring in a few bucks!)

Can we work the Birmingham News into our fight song?

We gotta have some imagination here.

Since we are back on topic....

I don't give a rats' arse what the board says on it other than Auburn having the higher score! Geez football needs to get here so everyone can critique the play calling instead!

I guess we'll have to settle for having a 92,000+ seat stadium. The FIRST to have ribbon boards. The FIRST to have THREE jumbotrons. etc :poke:

And finally,... and the first stadium where Auburn will whip your @$$ for the 5th straight year and 4th straight time in your stadium! That's right,... we can still hold up four fingers this year!

Auburn has previously defeated UA five straight years in Tuscaloosa:

1. 1895 48 0

2. 1901 17 0

3. 2000 9 0

4. 2002 17 7

5. 2004 21 13

This year will be six in a row.

We have been talking about Bryant-Denny Stadium. This will be the fourth straight win in BD.

The site you gave is a little misleading, it gives the % based on our stadium's maxium capacity at 92,138 (which is the max capacity in 2006) and uses our attendance in 2005. FYI - Our stadium's max capacity was at 83,818 in 2004 and 81018 in 2005 (because of construction during that year). A bad mistake made by someone. I did find this from the site you provided.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/single...teamattend.html

Notice if you will every HOME game UA played, all 81018 seats SOLD OUT. Auburn had 3 games listed that were sold out: GT,SC and UA. If you will, please note that the less important games such as Western KY (80632 max cap) and Ball State (78427 max cap) did not sell out. Infact, only 3 of the 7 games at JH sold out. Based on this fact alone I see no need for JH to expand.

Basically, what you are saying then is that you guys won the last three quarters?

I guess we'll have to settle for having a 92,000+ seat stadium. The FIRST to have ribbon boards. The FIRST to have THREE jumbotrons. etc :poke:

And finally,... and the first stadium where Auburn will whip your @$$ for the 5th straight year and 4th straight time in your stadium! That's right,... we can still hold up four fingers this year!

Auburn has previously defeated UA five straight years in Tuscaloosa:

1. 1895 48 0

2. 1901 17 0

3. 2000 9 0

4. 2002 17 7

5. 2004 21 13

This year will be six in a row.

We have been talking about Bryant-Denny Stadium. This will be the fourth straight win in BD.

Not to mention the FACT that we have not lost a game @ Tuberville Field in west vance in THREE CENTURIES! :big::poke:

Has anyone seen a pic of the new north endzone scoreboard?

F199923.jpg

LOL

That doesn't cut it. I thought you guys hated Bamaham?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Read the whole thread before making a comment. You'll look much smarter.

Another thing, if you're going to use a stupid gay saying like "LOL" like a 12 year old girl, at least type out "laugh out loud". It doesn't take that much longer and then you'll realize how stupid gay it looks.

Archived