Savage and Fannin

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../608230309/1002

AUBURN REPORT: Savage becomes bit hit in AU secondary

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Aairon Savage had his heart set on being a starting, shutdown cover cornerback, but instead has found a spot in the Auburn secondary as a safety.

AUBURN -- Aairon Savage always wanted to be a cornerback.

When he dreams, the redshirt freshman envisions himself defending top wideouts in one-on-one situations. Interceptions. Touchdowns. Good times.

Then reality hits.

Savage is set to start Auburn's season-opening game at safety. He could have sulked about the disparity between his aspirations and his current role, but Savage considers that wasteful.

There is work to be completed.

"I'm a ballplayer. I'm not going to think about where I am on the field or how I got there," said Savage, a native of Albany, Ga. "A million people would kill to have the chance that guys like us have to be out here playing for Auburn, let alone college football. It's a privilege to get out here and play and compete."

Forgive Savage if he sounds too methodical.

It's a defense mechanism.

Safety is one of the most complicated positions in Auburn's defensive scheme, which was designed by coordinator Will Muschamp, a former college safety.

There is administrative pressure for the safeties. Communicating coverage audibles is a frequent responsibility, as is overseeing defensive alignment.

It's a busy job. Experience is required.

One snag: Savage is a redshirt freshman. He's never played.

He tries to make up for the experience problem by studying film often. After a recent practice, Savage was seen walking to his dorm with his nose buried in his 200-page playbook folder.

"There's a lot in there, but it all relates," Savage said. "That helps a lot. I try to take an hour per night and go through it."

Savage gets aid in other ways.

Former Auburn safety Travaris Robinson has been working with Savage and the team's other young safeties throughout the past month. During two-a-days, it was common to see Savage huddle with Robinson along the sideline after a blown coverage.

The conferences give Savage real-time understanding of his errors.

He doesn't have to wait for the tape.

"When we go through it (in meetings), sometimes it gets cloudy," Savage said. "It looks different in the film room than it does on the field. If you make a mistake, (Robinson) will draw it up for you. It's good."

Savage is unassuming on the field. When his lips move, it's only to relay calls or communicate with his teammates.

Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite, a noted trash talker, isn't surprised by Savage's utilitarian verbiage.

"He's a quiet guy. It's the way he is," Wilhite said. " When we're in the Haley Center or in class, he doesn't talk. In our spring game, he made a big hit on Tre Smith and didn't say a word."

Savage makes other people talk with his hits.

He has a knack for lining up strong tackles, and at 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, doesn't seem fazed by the threat of injury. There is no hesitation. Savage took Muschamp's emphasis on chest-to-chest tackling and turned it into an exposition.

"I don't think he lets a whole lot bother him. He certainly doesn't let me bother him," Muschamp said. "He has stepped into a tough role and he's playing well. He's a very tough kid mentally and physically."

Fannin moves over: Mario Fannin has accepted a move to wideout, and will begin working to become Courtney Taylor's eventual replacement at the "Z" receiver position.

Fannin signed in February as one of Auburn's most hyped prospects. He played quarterback in high school, though college programs valued him mostly as a tailback.

Auburn had no vacancies there, so the coaches talked with Fannin about a position shift.

"Basically it's just a way for me to get on the field faster and help the team. That's why we came to the choice," Fannin said. "I told the coaches when I got here that I just wanted to help the team this year."

Taylor said Fannin has the ability to thrive at receiver. Not that Taylor thinks his protg should be limited like that.

"Before he leaves Auburn he's going to end up playing everything. He's going to be the next Reggie Bush," Taylor said. "Mark it down. I said it. So when it happens, you can say Courtney Taylor said it so you can remember me for something." :big:

What's funny about that is Courtney Taylor could never play another down for us and he would still be a huge part of the family and remembered for so much more than a prediction.

What's funny about that is Courtney Taylor could never play another down for us and he would still be a huge part of the family and remembered for so much more than a prediction.

you mean like this

taylor_091804.jpg

you mean like this

taylor_091804.jpg

That is one of MANY.

No matter what the future may hold for Courtney Taylor, I feel certain he will always make us proud that he is an Auburn Tiger ! ! !

Mancrush?

Can't say anything. I love me some Courtney Taylor.

Archived