Linebacker Gandy undergoes surgery

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Best of Luck Steve...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Huntsville Times

AUBURN - Sophomore Auburn linebacker Steve Gandy is 20 pounds lighter and has 100 stitches in his leg, but at least he was back on the practice field with his teammates Wednesday.

Gandy suffered rare complications from a thigh bruise early in preseason camp.

"I kind of knew something was wrong," Gandy said. "I was in so much pain. It was so big and hurting so bad. I finally went to the doctor and he just looked at it. I knew it wasn't good."

Even then, Gandy said, his thoughts were focused on playing again with his teammates.

"They ended up operating on me 45 minutes after I got to the hospital," Gandy said.

Gandy, Auburn's starting free safety at the end of last season, moved to outside linebacker late in spring practice. He'd moved to the first team when he suffered what seemed a routine thigh bruise. It is uncertain when he will be able to return.

"My doctor told me he did research, and since 1940, there's only been 12 of these injuries," Gandy said. "They can't tell. With an ACL, they can say six months, because a lot of people have had it. But this, they don't know. Nobody's ever had an injury like this."

Looking to WSU: Coach Tommy Tuberville said the Tigers had another physically demanding practice Wednesday, with the first offense going against the first defense, but they also began preliminary work on Washington State.

"It was a good finish to really one of the last practices that we will totally go against each other," Tuberville said. "It has been very physical and hard on our guys. We are getting tired."

Rose's status uncertain: Despite reports that wide receiver Alex Rose of Tallahassee, Fla., had finally been ruled eligible by the NCAA Eligibility Clearinghouse, Tuberville said the situation still isn't resolved.

"He has not been cleared," Tuberville said. "I hear he heard from them, but there are still some things they are having to work through."

Tuberville said Rose's status should be cleared up by week's end.

You forgot to mention how big the scar was that those 100 inches closed....22 inches... from just above his knee to just below his hip..

Also I heard that if he delayed 12 hours..his leg was gone..

Good Luck SG!! Get back on the field soon

That's why its still important to wear those pads. A lot of times the guys skimp on the pads so they can be faster. They are there for a reason. I'm not saying he did, but a lot of guys did. When I was there, many WRs did not wear hip or tailbone pads. Looking back, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

You forgot to mention how big the scar was that those 100 inches closed....22 inches... from just above his knee to just below his hip..

Also I heard that if he delayed 12 hours..his leg was gone..

Good Luck SG!! Get back on the field soon

OMG!

Archived