Pluto is officially no longer a planet

Ranger12

Time to rewrite all the textbooks.

Astronomers Vote to Strip Pluto of Planetary Status

Thursday, August 24, 2006

PRAGUE, Czech Republic — Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

After a tumultuous week of clashing over the essence of the cosmos, the International Astronomical Union stripped Pluto of the planetary status it has held since its discovery in 1930.

The new definition of what is — and isn't — a planet fills a centuries-old black hole for scientists who have labored since Copernicus without one.

Link

After a tumultuous week of clashing over the essence of the cosmos, the International Astronomical Union stripped Pluto of the planetary status it has held since its discovery in 1930.

Life can go back to normal now. Its been a long 75 years.

Probably his review went something like this:

"Well, Pluto...how long have you been with us, anyway? 75 years? Well...um...cough...We need to make some changes here, and we're starting with you. We've noticed that you're just not keeping up with the rest of the planets. The erratic orbit, the length of time it takes for you to get around, your generally cold demeanor, well, it's just not working. Yes, I know Uranus and Neptune aren't the fastest planets either, but they carry a lot more weight than you. And Mercury, well hey that guy's a go getter.

So we're creating a new position for you, in respect for your long years out there: Planetoid. Like it? You have to admit, it's a lot better than asteroid. And really, nobody will make fun of you around the water cooler.

Okay? We'll have corporate send you out some new business cards by the next space probe. They should arrive sometime around 2024."

Damn. The solar system is shrinking. We may have to start worrying about global warming soon.

On another note, this may have something to do with the polar bear shrinkage issue! :roflol:

Pluto not a planet? That's just Goofy... :lmao:

(Hat tip to Scott Adams...)

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse are filing for a divorce. Mickey is explaining to the judge why he wants the divorce. The judge explains, "Mickey, I can't let you divorce Minnie just on the grounds that she is silly." Mickey responded, "I didn't say she was silly, I said she was f*cking goofy!".

PS> Pluto is a gay bar in downtown Birmingham, Supperclub will be very sad.

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse are filing for a divorce. Mickey is explaining to the judge why he wants the divorce. The judge explains, "Mickey, I can't let you divorce Minnie just on the grounds that she is silly." Mickey responded, "I didn't say she was silly, I said she was f*cking goofy!".

Love that joke!

Damn, there goes that frickin' 4th grade styrofoam ball frickin' solar system science fair frickin' diarama I spent frickin' weeks making. Thank you nerds, it's now a frickin' inaccurate representation of frickin' hoax cosmology!

death.gif

PROFESSOR HUBERT J. FARNSWORTH: Oh we renamed that planet ages ago to do away with all the tired old jokes.

PHILIP J. FRY: What's it called now?

PROFESSOR HUBERT J. FARNSWORTH: Urectum

Archived