Need Advice

CircleDrill

I need some advice from some of you wise individuals.

My girlfriend is a Bama fan. Went to Bama for undergrad, now lives in Bham and is a teacher and working on a master's degree at Bama. I am in grad school at Auburn. This will be my last football season as an Auburn student.

So since we have been dating everything has been fine and we have joked about taking a "sabbatical" from dating during football season. Up until now, this was all jokes and fun and haha. She has been on me for quite some time about going to an Alabama game with her. I simply cannot do this.

There are many among you who can understand why I simply cannot do this. But I cannot make her understand. She keeps saying things like her friends cannot believe that I won't go to a game with her. She pulls the "Well, I would go to an Auburn game with you, wy won't you go to a Bama game with me?" thingy that women are so good at. I simply say, "I simply cannot do that."It's been OK until now.

This changed today. Football is in the air, and I guess she has a new sense of urgency.

I am 31 and she is 25, so it's not like we are kids. When you find somebody you really get along with and have many things in common, at my age it is really nice. But, I don't know what to do to make her understand.

So I ask you, veterans of marital and relationship football strife, what to do?

Circle I think youd have a good time. I would go to an AU game all day long just to take it in. I think Titan and Numa are gonna come down to ttown one day for a bama game...

By the way...there are ALWAYS AU fans at AND near our tailgate. And aside from some minor ribbing, we all get along fine. They come by, have a drink...talk football. Its a lot of fun.

Circle I think youd have a good time. I would go to an AU game all day long just to take it in. I think Titan and Numa are gonna come down to ttown one day for a bama game...

By the way...there are ALWAYS AU fans at AND near our tailgate. And aside from some minor ribbing, we all get along fine. They come by, have a drink...talk football. Its a lot of fun.

Yes, but have you looked at both schedules BG? It's just not gonna happen.

Dude. I feel like Luke Skywalker in "Return of the Jedi" when he was being electrocuted to death because he would not turn to the Dark Side.

I just simply cannot do it. There is no explanation that I can come up with other than that.

I think for you to do this, and maintain your self-respect as a man, you really need to make certain that there's a quid pro quo involved. Let her choose from the following:

1) She must wear Auburn panties at the Alabama game. Insist on proof.

2) During the rest of the year, she must not mention that vile institution of "learning"

3) After every Alabama defeat she must say, "I was wrong. I should have been an Auburn fan."

4) Fellatio. It makes up for all kinds of problems in a relationship.

How's that? Feel free to add your own alternatives, boys.

But seriously, will this marriage work long-term? Especially if you're not on speaking terms from September through December. It's kind of like a protestant marrying a catholic. Somebody is going to eventually switchy sides or it's just not going to last. Pre-marital counselling is strongly advised.

What a dilema! I can certainly understand your point of view - and I can see her side. HAS she been to an Auburn game? Maybe you could go to the Vandy game and just wear gold and black. You wouldn't have to cheer for Alabama. But, if you love football, you couldn't just sit there and be quiet either. IF this is going to be serious, you will have to come to terms with it. I believe there are a few AU nation folks in "mixed football" marriages. Maybe they have some wisdom. I could say, it's only a game - but everyone KNOWS that's not true. Hope everything works out for you.

I know this is blasphemy to some of you but it is just a football game! I love Auburn and hate Alabama but if this is someone you have a deep relationship with then you need to suck it up. Its not like you have to wear bama stuff or cheer for them or anything. Just go to a game and have a good time. Football is football. I hate the Yankees but that wouldn't stop me from going to a game at Yankee stadium. I hate UGA but I've been to a couple of non-auburn games there and had a good time. Either way, its football!

What a dilemma, all I can say is that I am glad it is not me having to make this decision; maybe if she were Scarlett Johansson, I might, maybe, possibly bring myself to enter the city limits of Tuscaloosa with her.

Actually, on second thought, if she were Scarlett Johansson, I would go to the end of the earth with her...

ScarlettJo_Wargo_9611200_400.jpg

If you go to the Bama game you will end up cheering for one side or the other. Which side remains to be seen. I tell you what, agree to go as long as you guys get to sit in visitor's section.

http://www.aualum.org/spirit/audio/aumb_pregame_2005.mp3

http://www.auburnart.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=731

bear_hunting.jpg

I think that otterinbham has the right idea (especially #4!) I dated a girl that was a Bama fan during one of their down years and we had a running bet...since this is a family site, I won't get into the details, but let's just leave it at...I enjoyed each Bama loss MUCH more that year!

AUHansel makes a point too. You can't take this TOO seriously! Heaven forbid, have something tragic strike in your life and you realize what's important...God, family, friends, health...football might even fall out of the top 3 at that rate!

I'd say go to a game that you think they will probably lose and make a serious bet! B)

If she can get tickets to the Iron Bowl, let that be your game!!!

I am married to a Bammer. Been married for 7 years this December. I made one offer to go to Bammer games and she said that I enjoy going to games more than she does so if we are going to spend money on it, spend it on :au: tix!

We have some close friends that are in a mixed marriage, he's the bammer and she's the smart one. They both really get into the games. She goes with him from time to time and pulls like hell for the opponent. He tends to go with the guys now, especially since they have children.

It can be fun. Going doesn't mean you have to pull for the team in dark pink.

I say, if you really love this girl just do it and get it over with. When she realizes that it's more fun at Auburn games, it will be a none issue in the future! :big:

Mixed relationships such as this have a low survival rate ... long-term this could become an annual thing ... once a fellow in England gave up his right to the crown to marry a commoner ... this one worked ... but for an Auburn man to attend a UA game without AU playing is completely off the chart ... I couldn't do it ... don't risk your self respect ... I've done some pretty bad things in my day but I'd would have drawn the line at this. Think about potential children ... would want the mother of your children to be an UA graduate?

My girlfriend is a Bama fan.

I should have just stopped reading right there but being a man of reason and all.....

CD, I've read a lot of great, great advice on here. However, there is some advice I haven't seen yet. Try this little beauty on for size. It worked GREAT for me....

*ahem* *clears throat*

DUMP HER

You'll thank me later. PM me and we'll go skirt chasing after the WSU game. :lol:;)

Mixed relationships such as this have a low survival rate ... long-term this could become an annual thing ... once a fellow in England gave up his right to the crown to marry a commoner ... this one worked ... but for an Auburn man to attend a UA game without AU playing is completely off the chart ... I couldn't do it ... don't risk your self respect ... I've done some pretty bad things in my day but I'd would have drawn the line at this. Think about potential children ... would want the mother of your children to be an UA graduate?

Dude grow up. My wife comes from a family of very hardcore bama fans and even during football season it is not even and issue. It is just a game at the end of the day. Let me leave you with a Dr.Phil quote, " You need to get real and wise up."

On the other hand...my ex-wife's family was mostly Bamars...and I never liked ANY of them. :big:

:au::homer:

Go to a game that you think Bama will lose. My buddies are going on an SEC Road Trip (all 12 SEC stadiums plus the neutral sites) and 3 of the games include Bama that they think they will lose: UA-UF, UA-UT, AU-UA.

So choose the Iron Bowl

All joking aside - just go, you'll have fun

man are you insane, drop her messed up ##$ NOW.

You will never be completely happy, find an Auburn girl which will

be better anyway. She is already cheating on you for being for the enemy.

Sorry for being so blount but I just don't understand, you are settling for second best.

It just won't work in the long run, set some standards dude

may I remind some of you that our starting QB, as of last season, was dating a girl that went or still goes to Bama(think she graduated).

My girlfriend is a Bama fan. Went to Bama for undergrad, now lives in Bham and is a teacher and working on a master's degree at Bama. I am in grad school at Auburn. This will be my last football season as an Auburn student.

So since we have been dating everything has been fine and we have joked about taking a "sabbatical" from dating during football season. Up until now, this was all jokes and fun and haha. She has been on me for quite some time about going to an Alabama game with her. I simply cannot do this.

There are many among you who can understand why I simply cannot do this. But I cannot make her understand. She keeps saying things like her friends cannot believe that I won't go to a game with her. She pulls the "Well, I would go to an Auburn game with you, wy won't you go to a Bama game with me?" thingy that women are so good at. I simply say, "I simply cannot do that."It's been OK until now.

This changed today. Football is in the air, and I guess she has a new sense of urgency.

I am 31 and she is 25, so it's not like we are kids. When you find somebody you really get along with and have many things in common, at my age it is really nice. But, I don't know what to do to make her understand.

Run while you can.

Look guys, it is just a freakin' football game for crying out loud!

My ex-wife was a bammer, but that had nothing to do with our relationship failing. It did not even really play into the relationship much at all. She wore her bammer stuff and I wore mine. We ribbed each other some, but when you are in true love with somebody, you should be able to overcome silly things like that. I know there are some that think football is life, but most of those that think that way need to see a little more of the bad aspects of life to know where to set their priorities.

Also, my lifelong best friend is a UAT graduate who played baseball there and his family are rabid UAT fans. I am even good friends with a former UAT football player that was a starter on their 1993 team. I have been to T-Town more then Auburn to be honest with your. Not once did our different loyalties ever get in the way of my friendship with my buddy or his family. It actually made the football season a little more interesting to rib each other. If you and your girlfriend can deal with each other like that, you'll be okay. Go to the game, you'll have fun. I wore my AU stuff in T-Town several times and even went to some basketball and baseball games and I never had any real problems from UAT people except for good natured ribbing. You will find that most UAT people that go to the school and to the games are better then the rednecks that never set foot on campus, which are the idiots you hear from the most. I enjoyed the UAT basketball and baseball games I went too. You probably will too and being with your girlfriend will probably make it even more enjoyable.

Well, she hasn't dumped you yet so that means you retain a certain amount of leverage on this issue. I would advise you to maximize that leverage while you can (windows of opportunity & stuff.) Use your imagination, bub, as I'm not about to spell out everything for you on this forum. :yes:

I see only two legitimate games on the uat schedule that you could attend and still retain your dignity: LSU/uat & AU/uat. The IB game is simple -- technically, you are "going to a bammie game with her." Bill Clinton hisself would give you an attaboy for that kind of language parsing. With the LSU/uat game, you won't be cheering for uat but you won't really be upset if LSU comes out on the short end either because that will help AU's chances for going to Atlanta. If LSU wins ... hey, enjoy the long faces in the stadium. :) I call this a win-win situation for all. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Btw, which AU game is she attending with you this year?

As someone said before go to the Auburn-Bammer game that will be a great game to see and you can see all her friends crying after the game at TT field in west alabama

Archived