10 things I learned about the 2006 Tigers

DCTiger

1. Auburn is good. Real good.

2. Kenny Irons is worthy of the hype. All-American good.

3. Brad Lester is just as good.

4. No receiver has stepped up to claim "go-to-guy" status. Still looking.

5. If I am an offensive coordinator I would target the middle of the field. Those young safetys may be the weak link on a very very good Auburn Defense.

6. David Irons is quality, but he is no Carlos Rogers.

7. Tristan and Brad are an awesome tandem on Kick-off returns. Dunn didnt get it done on Punts. Need to keep looking.

8. Vaughn and Bliss rock.

9. I bought the hype on Brandon Cox in the pre-season. He's great, but there was talk that may have elevated my expectations to an unreasonable level.

10. Will Herring is a renaissance man. Is there anything he can’t do?

I can't say enough about the AU coaching staff. Brilliant!

7. Tristan and Brad are an awesome tandem on Kick-off returns. Dunn didnt get it done on Punts. Need to keep looking.

With TD's speed and fearlesness up the middle, I will be shocked if TD doesn't return at least 1 (if not more) kick-offs for a score this year; except for the fact it looks like we won't be receiving many kicks...

With TD's speed and fearlesness up the middle, I will be shocked if TD doesn't return at least 1 (if not more) kick-offs for a score this year; except for the fact it looks like we won't be receiving many kicks...

I'm anxious to see him return an interception as well. Any time he can get the ball in an open field ought to be exciting to watch.

The big surprise for me was how good Tristan davis was at saftey, although he played as a back-up. He was laying some big hits on people. Also, Herring is actually a good player.

The big surprise for me was how good Tristan davis was at saftey, although he played as a back-up. He was laying some big hits on people. Also, Herring is actually a good player.

It's unbelievable how many good running backs we have at Running Back U. We have such a surplus we have to play them on the defense just to get them in the game. :big: TD was awesome in his few carries last year, and Will Herring gets 42 on the faked punt yesterday! :lol:

That fake punt was the biggest gamble I have seen Tuberville go for in the last 2 years atleast. Fourth and Fourteen (??).. Something like that.. and we do a fake punt. Not to mention if we miss it, they get GREAT field position.

A quote from an article I was reading..

ou would have thought that Jason Hill would too, but he was double-teamed and otherwise draped all night, finishing with just 18 yards on four catches.

Asked about Auburn’s David Irons and Jonathan Wilhite, Hill said: “They’re OK. I don’t want to take anything away from them, but I’ve faced better corners in the Pac-10.”

Irons and Wilhite don’t want to take anything away from Hill either -– they just took everything away from him.

I totally agree with all your ten things.I would like also to add a please let Tristan Davis handle the ball MORE anyway possible.I would also add these as well....Thank you Karbi Dede you were everywhere that night!!Brandon please throw the ball quicker(make up your mind or run),this is the only thing keeping you from going from good to great.Browder played a good game.

And most important of all THANK YOU AUBURN FOR FINISHING THE GAME.We didn't hold on, we punched through 3rd and 4th quarter we still played offensive football.Please keep it up.Auburn is looking great.

something i learned: all that talk about being physical paid off. we used our big bodies on the oline as well as we have since rudi. we leaned and leaned and leaned until the final drives where all we did was hand off and pick up 5, 10, 8... yards each down seemed like a forgone conclusion.

5. If I am an offensive coordinator I would target the middle of the field. Those young safetys may be the weak link on a very very good Auburn Defense.

9. I bought the hype on Brandon Cox in the pre-season. He's great, but there was talk that may have elevated my expectations to an unreasonable level.

Good points. I went to high school with Will Herring and he was a great option quarterback, so seeing him finally get to run the ball was nice, I was going nuts! I'm glad Tubberville took the chance, because the crowd was getting out of the game (and perhaps the team a little also) so taking that chance and succeeding helped rejuvenate Jordan-Hare and our Tigers!! In response to number 5 I hope that Muschamp will change a few things around, I wonder how much of it also has to do with us maybe expecting more passing from Washington State and then they run the draw.....it's going to be interesting to see.

I also look for Tristan Davis to run a kick back, and of course Lester is no slouch either!! I think Dunn will get better once he decides to start upfield a bit more before worrying about making moves, the return game this year will be great.

I didn't see you mention him, but Clark is going to be a great weapon on kickoffs, I think Yost and his kicking most kickoffs into the endzone in 2004 helped (field position) more than most of us realize, and having someone else who can kick it through the back of the endzone is going to be great. It's good to make teams have to drive 80 yards on our D everytime, that should help makeup for any lapses which our less experienced player might have.

I'm looking forward to starting conference play and hope we can get another win next week, and work out any wrinkles from this week so we can get ready for a big test in LSU, but let's not overlook Mississippi State!! War Eagle!!

Guest Tigrinum Major

That fake punt was the biggest gamble I have seen Tuberville go for in the last 2 years atleast. Fourth and Fourteen (??).. Something like that.. and we do a fake punt. Not to mention if we miss it, they get GREAT field position.

First fake kick since 2002.

I didn't see you mention him, but Clark is going to be a great weapon on kickoffs

Absolutly! Thanks for that reminder. I should have said "Vaughn, Bliss AND CLARK totally Rock!!"

I think Dunn will get better once he decides to start upfield a bit more before worrying about making moves, the return game this year will be great.

Well, I hope you are right about Dunn. He stood out as being very unimpressive, in a game where everything else seemed to be on fire. Repeat after me. NEVER RUN BACKWARDS.

AUWings, if you have faith in him ... I will too.

So much for the new kicking tee keeping the kickers from putting the ball in the end zone (or out the back of it) on kickoffs.

I liked what I saw out there last night.

something i learned: all that talk about being physical paid off. we used our big bodies on the oline as well as we have since rudi. we leaned and leaned and leaned until the final drives where all we did was hand off and pick up 5, 10, 8... yards each down seemed like a forgone conclusion.

Amen, Amen and Amen. AU owned the line of scrimmage on both sides. My guess is that the hits on Cox were due mostly to the passing game (i.e., Cox and the newbie receivers) not being in sync. That will come - CAB will make sure.

Did any one else think K Irons and (especially) Brad Lester looked (even) more explosive than last year? They both looked great running the ball!

On the down side, the situation at safety has to get better, and quick. Blown coverages aside, they (E Brock, in particular) seemed to be missing (way) too many tackles and generally out of control - several times one or both of them came flying up on running plays and just ran right past the play. Was I just imagining things?

That said, AU did what a Top 10 team is supposed to do against a lesser opponent - physically dominated. Still some kinks to work out, but I have no doubt that, in 13 days, CTT & Co will have them ready.

1. Yes, they are going to be very good!!

2. KI is for sure Heisman quality. Some of his runs reminded me of some of Caddy's, kept moving his legs didn't stop going forward til he was on the ground.

3/7. Lester has wicked speed, as does Tristan Davis, he will at least 2 kickoff returns for TD.

4. We know Taylor is.. We did learn we have some quality WRs to accompany CT, in Rodriguez, Smith, Guess, etc.

5/6 Remember those safeties are first year in starting, and will learn quickly. The talent and speed is there. They will continue to get better. David Irons is dangerously close to being as good as Carlos. He will be playing in the NFL next year. Didn't hear much about Jason Hill, now did we??

8. Our kicking game is good, and will be a difference this year. I bet nobody is bad mouthing Vaughn now!!

9. Cox is good and will continue to improve. He handled the clock masterfully. He needs to continue working on stepping up in the pocket or getting rid of it.

10. Will Herring is the man and a huge leader. Did anybody notice that Dede was all over the place. What 8 tackles???

I've got a good feeling about this team. Our OL that everyone questioned is really good. They nominated the WSU DL. When your FB doesn't have to make a block until he is 7+ yards down field... the OL is very good!!!!

We have all the ingredients for another special season. I hope the team gels together well and everyone continues to improve!!!

My $.02:

1. Didn't remember Kenny being so dang fast

2. Lester is EX-CI-TING

3. Long plays made me nervous. That TE was WIDE open.

4. Need to give Brandon a little more protection. To many sacks. I know he held on too long a few times, but I didn't think they'd put that much pressure on us.

5. I don't expect big first half running numbers from our backfield. The OL gets stronger as the game goes along.

6. Definitely need someone to step up at WR.

Also, I HATE the new rules that shorten the game...

CTT has said for two years now that BC holding on to the ball was the one thing they were working on to break as a habit.

i was so happy to see Will Herring flying around the ball and making big plays! I think the move to linebacker is great for him and the team!

i was so happy to see Will Herring flying around the ball and making big plays! I think the move to linebacker is great for him and the team!

I'm a little surprised and distressed at the lack of recognition KIrons got from the national media. They were so busy honking the Brady bobo after his mediocre performance against GTech and pimping Peterson for his valiant effort against that UAB juggernaut that Irons' near superhuman output was given little more than a cursory mention.

Lou Holtz is an idiot. His stupidity seems to be rubbing off on Mark May (who was better when he had Trev to bounce off). Reece Davis is a grinning jackadaw. Lee Corso is a PAC-10 adoring Pez dispenser. Kirk Herbstreit is a Big 10 worshipping OSU huffer. Chris Fowler wears Pete Carroll's underwear on his head when he goes to bed.

AU dominated a team they humped as being a threat in the PAC-10 and got little notice. When USC trips the same team later in the season, it will be hailed as a defining moment.

I used to love ESPN. I used to love it when it REPORTED sports news and didn't try to create it. I hate ESPN now.

I used to love ESPN. I used to love it when it REPORTED sports news and didn't try to create it. I hate ESPN now.

I totally agree. We TIVO'd GameDay and the game and watched it when we got home from JHS. We could not believe they talked about USC for like an hour. They discussed AT LENGTH the #1, #2, and #3 games, but very little mention of Auburn. We got maybe 90 seconds of comment if I am remembering correctly. Watching SportsCenter that night was exactly the same thing. It was eerie. Seemed like there were not even any games that day.

I'm a little surprised and distressed at the lack of recognition KIrons got from the national media. They were so busy honking the Brady bobo after his mediocre performance against GTech and pimping Peterson for his valiant effort against that UAB juggernaut that Irons' near superhuman output was given little more than a cursory mention.

Lou Holtz is an idiot. His stupidity seems to be rubbing off on Mark May (who was better when he had Trev to bounce off). Reece Davis is a grinning jackadaw. Lee Corso is a PAC-10 adoring Pez dispenser. Kirk Herbstreit is a Big 10 worshipping OSU huffer. Chris Fowler wears Pete Carroll's underwear on his head when he goes to bed.

AU dominated a team they humped as being a threat in the PAC-10 and got little notice. When USC trips the same team later in the season, it will be hailed as a defining moment.

Summed it up nicely yet again. This has bugged the hell out of me. Considering the Pac-10 vs. SEC games were the major story of the week, it's pretty frustrating that after Saturday you would think the Southern Cal & Tennessee games were the only two that were played

And most important of all THANK YOU AUBURN FOR FINISHING THE GAME.We didn't hold on, we punched through 3rd and 4th quarter we still played offensive football.

AMEN!!!!

Archived