SEC update from AJC

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedi...notes0920a.html

SEC Wednesday

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/20/06

EAST

FLORIDA: Gators (3-0, 1-0)

Receiver Percy Harvin, who suffered an ankle injury in Saturday's win at Tennessee, is wearing a protective boot. He's questionable for Saturday. ... On UF's game-winning touchdown drive in Knoxville, quarterback Chris Leak slid short of the first-down marker on third down rather than dive for yardage. Urban Meyer brought in Tim Tebow to get the first down; Leak eventually threw a scoring pass. "My reaction is probably the same as everybody's," Meyer said. "We'd expect him to get the first down." Said Leak: "You try to protect yourself."

> Next: Saturday vs. Kentucky, 7:45 p.m. (ESPN)

KENTUCKY: Wildcats (2-1, 1-0)

When the 'Cats travel to Florida on Saturday, they might be forced to play without top rusher Rafael Little (bruised knee, turf toe). Little is listed as questionable but said he intends to play. Kentucky will need him against a Gators team that last week held Tennessee to minus-11 rushing yards. UK ranks ninth in the SEC in rushing offense. "I guess I would like to still be running the ball better," coach Rich Brooks said. "This is probably not a good week to be talking about that, going down to Florida."

> Next: Saturday at Florida, 7:45 p.m. (ESPN)

SOUTH CAROLINA: Gamecocks (2-1, 1-1)

Steve Spurrier plans to play both Syvelle Newton and Blake Mitchell at quarterback against Florida Atlantic. "I've got a feeling they're both going to play," Spurrier said Tuesday. "Syvelle's OK sort of with that. He understands that this is all new for him. And maybe playing two of them might be the best way to go. I assume it would. I don't know. We need some kind of spark." Newton started last week after playing receiver in the first two games. Mitchell, suspended for last week's game, started the first two games.

> Next: Saturday vs. Florida Atlantic, 7 p.m.

TENNESSEE: Volunteers (2-1, 0-1)

UT's minus-11 yards rushing in the 21-20 loss to Florida is the lowest total in Phillip Fulmer's 168-game tenure as coach. Fulmer said his offensive line "got our butts handed to us." Florida's DeShawn Wynn (104 yards) is the first back to rush for 100 yards vs. UT since 2004. ... Senior defensive tackle Justin Harrell, who made three tackles despite a torn left biceps, underwent surgery and is done at UT. Harrell's appearance marked the last time the No. 92 will be worn. The number is retired in honor of Reggie White.

> Next: Saturday vs. Marshall, 4 p.m.

VANDERBILT: Commodores (0-3, 0-2)

Junior linebacker Marcus Buggs produced perhaps his finest game in a 21-19 loss to Arkansas: six tackles, including three for losses. The former safety is a full-time starter for the first time and is the team's second-leading tackler. "This gives him a chance to cover but also play against the run and even blitz the passer every once in awhile," coach Bobby Johnson said. "I think we've got him in the right spot." ... Tailback Jared Hawkins, who rushed for 76 yards Saturday, is averaging 15.3 yards per rush on six attempts.

> Next: Saturday vs. Tennessee State, 7 p.m.

WEST

ALABAMA: Crimson Tide (3-0, 1-0)

Alabama formally announced Tuesday that junior receiver Tyrone Prothro will miss this season. Prothro sustained a grisly compound fracture in his lower left leg Oct. 1, against Florida. He underwent what was at least his third surgery Monday, but coach Mike Shula said it was a scheduled part of Prothro's rehab and was not a setback. Prothro has not practiced this season. ... Freshman kickoff returner/tailback Terry Grant is also done for the season. He is scheduled to undergo shoulder surgery Thursday.

> Next: Saturday at Arkansas, 3:30 p.m. (CBS)

ARKANSAS: Razorbacks (2-1, 1-0)

Arkansas is the only Division I-A team that hasn't produced a turnover by its defense. Coach Houston Nutt said forcing turnovers will continue to be stressed in practice, but that it's important for the Razorbacks to not get out of position by going for turnovers. ... Junior Matt Hewitt has moved from backup free safety to starting strongside linebacker after Vanderbilt rushed for 240 yards against the Razorbacks. Junior Weston Dacus has moved from strongside linebacker to a starter in the middle.

> Next: Saturday vs. Alabama, 3:30 p.m. (CBS)

AUBURN: Tigers (3-0, 2-0)

Quarterback Brandon Cox suffered sprains to his left ankle and left knee during Saturday's 7-3 win against LSU. He still plans to start against Buffalo this weekend. "It's good that it's this type of game to kind of recover," Cox said. ... Starting tight end Cole Bennett is out at least six weeks after breaking an ankle in the LSU win. Two redshirt freshmen, Tommy Trott and Gabe McKenzie, currently are listed as co.-No. 1 on the depth chart at tight end. "Both of us are going to play a lot," McKenzie said.

> Next: Saturday vs. Buffalo, 2:30 p.m.

LSU: Tigers (2-1, 0-1)

Though LSU netted just 42 yards rushing in Saturday's 7-3 loss at Auburn, coach Les Miles said he is hardly ready to abandon the ground game. "The single most facet we've got to improve is rushing the football," he said. "We have got to get it fixed." ... Cornerback Jonathan Zenon, who missed most of the Auburn game with a concussion, returned to practice and is expected to play against Tulane. ... LSU's defense is ranked No. 1 in the SEC in yards allowed per game and No. 2 in passing yards allowed.

> Next: Saturday vs. Tulane, 8 p.m.

MISSISSIPPI: Rebels (1-2, 0-1)

Coach Ed Orgeron, who also serves as defensive coordinator, watched his secondary get torched yet again, this time Saturday at Kentucky. For the third straight game, Ole Miss' most veteran unit was one of the most disappointing. Ole Miss gave up a season-high 290 yards passing and three touchdowns. "There was a little improvement, but with those guys, I expect them to play well every down," Orgeron said. ... After playing two straight road games, the Rebels return home for a three-game stretch. "We need it," Orgeron said.

> Next: Saturday vs. Wake Forest, 6 p.m.

MISSISSIPPI STATE: Bulldogs (0-3, 0-2)

For the third time in four games, MSU will have a new QB. Coach Sylvester Croom announced Omarr Conner will start, replacing Decatur's Tray Rutland. Conner relieved Rutland in the second quarter against Tulane and guided MSU on four scoring drives. Michael Henig started the opener but has been sidelined with a broken collarbone. ... After Tony Burks caught four passes for 130 yards Saturday, Croom said more emphasis will be placed on getting him the ball.

> Next: Saturday at UAB, 7 p.m.

Archived