The Lynch Mob Forms In Tuscaloosa...

otterinbham

These guys at the Capstone are awfully eager to pull the trigger. But I think the question is, how do they know they'll get a better coach as replacement? I think Alabama has awfully short memories, for they've forgotten how many coaches turned them down before Price took the job, and then Shula was their last gasp.

The truth be told, Alabama is a program that just isn't what it used to be. It managed to be very good for a decade after the Bear, but it's now a program that's had one engine blow out, the other one's sputtering, there's a heavy fog on the runway, and they can't get the landing gear down. Any legitimate coaching candidate sees this, and none will take the job on a bet. Think about it. During the last coaching search, Alabama was turned down by the coach of UCF. Are you kidding me?

Why has Alabama become death for coaching careers? Because the stump-neck, gap-toothed, knuckle-dragging fan base (with the exception of a few articulate Alabama fans who post on this board) keep looking at their mythical 12 national championships and expect performance on the level of Bear Bryant when today's parity makes that almost impossible. Even Pete Carroll's USC program is now facing major inquiries from the NCAA.

So unrealistic expectations and much tougher competition in the SEC make the Alabama program a difficult choice for any worthwhile coach. That's why Alabama needs to really think twice before giving Shula the boot for a year or two.

These guys at the Capstone are awfully eager to pull the trigger. But I think the question is, how do they know they'll get a better coach as replacement? I think Alabama has awfully short memories, for they've forgotten how many coaches turned them down before Price took the job, and then Shula was their last gasp.

The truth be told, Alabama is a program that just isn't what it used to be. It managed to be very good for a decade after the Bear, but it's now a program that's had one engine blow out, the other one's sputtering, there's a heavy fog on the runway, and they can't get the landing gear down. Any legitimate coaching candidate sees this, and none will take the job on a bet. Think about it. During the last coaching search, Alabama was turned down by the coach of UCF. Are you kidding me?

Why has Alabama become death for coaching careers? Because the stump-neck, gap-toothed, knuckle-dragging fan base (with the exception of a few articulate Alabama fans who post on this board) keep looking at their mythical 12 national championships and expect performance on the level of Bear Bryant when today's parity makes that almost impossible. Even Pete Carroll's USC program is now facing major inquiries from the NCAA.

So unrealistic expectations and much tougher competition in the SEC make the Alabama program a difficult choice for any worthwhile coach. That's why Alabama needs to really think twice before giving Shula the boot for a year or two.

In my opinion, one of the reasons the UCF coach turned Alabama down was because of the cloud hanging over the program that almost brought the death penalty. He wisely didn't want any part of that.

Be that as it may, I offered to trade the Tide, straight up, Houston Nutt for Shula....didn't get any takers. We in the Razorback Nation know the Auburn Tigers won't be as kind to us as Alabama. I feel for their (true freshman) kicker. Our (true freshman) QB struggled too.

But, we're going to show up in two weeks, hopefully healthier than we were yesterday, and play the game. Here's to a good one...

GO HOG'S!!

I think they could get a decent coach. Shula isn't doing a terrible job recruiting. There are so many good players in the south someone could turn the program around. I don't know if anyone would want to go there but I'm sure they could find someone now that they aren't on probation.

I think they could get a decent coach. Shula isn't doing a terrible job recruiting. There are so many good players in the south someone could turn the program around. I don't know if anyone would want to go there but I'm sure they could find someone now that they aren't on probation.

But I thought they WERE on probation? That's what I heard at church this morning. Only reason they lost yesterday is because of probation. Otherwise Arkansas could never beat Alabama. The only time teams like that can is when Bama's on probation. Didn't I know Bama was the youngest team, by far, in the SEC? They're just young.

When I asked him if he realized that Alabama had fewer freshmen and sophomores in the two-deep than almost any team in the SEC, he accused me of making it up.

But I thought they WERE on probation? That's what I heard at church this morning. Only reason they lost yesterday is because of probation. Otherwise Arkansas could never beat Alabama. The only time teams like that can is when Bama's on probation. Didn't I know Bama was the youngest team, by far, in the SEC? They're just young.

When I asked him if he realized that Alabama had fewer freshmen and sophomores in the two-deep than almost any team in the SEC, he accused me of making it up.

Bama fans in church after a loss? Never happened under the Bear. They didn't have to miss much, though.

Who are the other coaches that turned the turds down?

They actually are still on probation until Feb 07. So if they beat Ole Miss and Mississippi State, they will consider this season a success. They might even beat us for a quarter or two (depending on how big a lead we get early on). Don't you just love moral victories?

It was the USF coach that turned down Bama, not UCF's.

Oh that makes all the difference in the world. However, the point is the same. A coach of an obscure school turns down Alabama, supposedly one of the elite college programs. If that isn't evidence of a downward spiral, what is?

Technically, :ua: is still serving their probation :no: . It doesn't officially expire until 1/31/2007. They had a postseason ban for '02 and '03. They were only allowed 17 scholarships in '02-'03, 18 for '03-'04, and 19 for '04-'05. Plus, they had numerous other restrictions placed on them (i.e., no boosters at practice, boosters on the charter planes, etc). They are more or less under a 'work release program' until January of 2007.

You can look up the info at the NCAA Major Infractions Database. You can also look up other teams and their probations and/or restrictions placed on them due to violations committed. I get my info from the Collegio Football Program 2007 I have purchased the past two years. They get their info from the before mentioned NCAA Major Infractions Database. It keeps up with everything, week in and week out. Great product!

In my opinion, I doubt they would fire CMS. He would have to go 3-9 this year and possibly go 0-12 next year, before that would happen.

Dang I hope they don't run Shula off. He's the best thing for Auburn that's been at bama in a long time.

I know.

Have fun beating up on him this season and the next. He won't be here 3 years from now.

He was never officially offered the job.

Jim Leavitt was interviewed and then torpedoed by some boosters. Only beacase he took his name out of the mix after accepting a contract extension and raise. The female President of USF was on Finebaum saying how important he was to the program and that USF was not going to let him go without a fight. Guess what? He is still there. UAT folks were dragging his name thru the mud because he was single and had a gf, etc. The guy saw the writing on the wall. Got a great deal from USF too.

The incredibly old line about losing a coach, recruit, whatever and that "Bama never really wanted, offered, etc" is just too typical for words. Every recruiting year we hear this same crap over and over and over and over... can you guys at least come up with a new spin? If Bama never wanted him, why did they inteview him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285986

Looking for a coach after Dennis Franchione bolted in 2002, 'Bama AD Mal Moore flew down to Tampa on Bryant's private jet to interview South Florida's Jim Leavitt. Later, Bryant personally flew out to Washington on his jet and delivered Mike Price, who was fired before ever coaching a game. ... One of nation's leading advocates for preservation of Civil War battlefields.

http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stori...all/607963.html

He was never officially offered the job.

Horseflop. Keep believing that. Leavitt didn't want any part of the :ua: circus.

Like someone posted sometime back - Shula is Ray Goff.

A former player that the fan base cannot help but like. A pretty decent recruiter that just cannot coach is way out of a paper bag.

And don't get too happy there little piggies - Nutt is in that same group. It was a race between the two to see who could blow the game first. Two average teams with below average coaches.

Can we possibly contribute to the "Keep flipper @ uat" fund?

Dang I hope they don't run Shula off. He's the best thing for Auburn that's been at bama in a long time.

I know.

Have fun beating up on him this season and the next. He won't be here 3 years from now.

You are starting to piss me off with your unbiased, level posts.

Stop.

Hey...It's fun listening to Finebaum today. Man, these fans are goiing apesh*t.

That isnt even the word for it. They are ready to burn Shula in effigy.

Wow! They lost an SEC game by one point. It wasnt like they lost an MNC by 35 ala Oklahoma in 2004. I think it is just a symptom of way overblown expectations this year. Most of the world thought they would go between 7-5 to 8-4 regular season and lose to :ut: , :lsu: , :uf: , and :au: . This was the difference game for them. JPW had never started o the road. Face it, no one goes to Hogville expecting a cake walk, not even :lsu: or :au: .

I think they are, from my perspective, over-reacting due entirely to the over-hyped expectations they were kool-aid drinking themselves into.

I am glad that, while they arent defending Tiffin as well as we did Vaughn last year, they are pretty much standing up for the freshman kicker.

Well you can't blame Shelia for having the kicker throw the game. After all, the coaches got a big raise after beating Vandy at home by 3 points. Shelia figured if they beat the Hogs, they'd get another raise and go up another tax bracket. They obviously measure success by the outcome of the Vandy game, so he's got job security and is saving on taxes. Some of those kicks were so close they had Shelia shaking. *grin*

Who are the other coaches that turned the turds down?

Let's see...Leavitt was already mentioned. Butch Davis, Mike Riley (former player at that) turned them down in favor of powerhouse Oregon St. I am sure that I am forgetting one or two as well.

Hey...It's fun listening to Finebaum today. Man, these fans are goiing apesh*t.

That isnt even the word for it. They are ready to burn Shula in effigy.

Wow! They lost an SEC game by one point. It wasnt like they lost an MNC by 35 ala Oklahoma in 2004. I think it is just a symptom of way overblown expectations this year. Most of the world thought they would go between 7-5 to 8-4 regular season and lose to :ut: , :lsu: , :uf: , and :au: . This was the difference game for them. JPW had never started o the road. Face it, no one goes to Hogville expecting a cake walk, not even :lsu: or :au: .

I think they are, from my perspective, over-reacting due entirely to the over-hyped expectations they were kool-aid drinking themselves into.

I am glad that, while they arent defending Tiffin as well as we did Vaughn last year, they are pretty much standing up for the freshman kicker.

when have bammers ever not over reacted, it's all or nothing with that bunch. of course if :au: lost the game as they did we would probably do the same. But our offense is so unlike what they do.

never mind let the melt down continue. The band wagon has officially crashed :cheer:

titanic.jpg

Archived