You should have known Tigers would beat Gators

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

Sunday, October 15, 2006

You should have known.

If you knew anything about the Auburn football program in its eight years under Tommy Tuberville, you should have known.

You should have known his Tigers would come back strong a week after coming up lame.

You should have known they would play better and stronger and faster and smarter Saturday night than they had in weeks.

You should have known, after getting knocked down and stepped on by Arkansas, they would not lay down for Florida.

If you didn't, you know now.

Auburn 27, Florida 17 wasn't an upset.

It wasn't the shock of the century or the surprise of the week.

It wasn't an underdog playing over its head in its house and a favorite playing down to its competition away from home.

It was the two best teams in the Southeastern Conference struggling to score against each other, struggling to separate from one another.

It was Florida looking unstoppable in the first half and, from there, Auburn doing what it does in the biggest games against the best teams.

It was Auburn making big stops. Hello, Tray Blackmon. Welcome to college football. What took you so long?

It was Auburn making special plays on special teams. Tristan Davis, MVP. Most Valuable Punt-Rusher.

It was Auburn making something happen on defense and in the kicking game when those guys had no choice because the offense couldn't find the end zone against a serious Florida defense.

Forget the final score, inflated by a fumble return for a touchdown on Florida's desperate final play. This wasn't a 10-point game. This wasn't a one-sided game. This was a one play here and one play there game. This was a game so full of athletes and atmosphere it should be replayed one more time.

Not on TiVo. In person.

Thank heaven and Roy Kramer for the SEC Championship Game.

When all is said and done, it's likely that Auburn and Florida will have something more to say to each other because they'll have to face one another again in the Georgia Dome.

Neither team should lose again till then.

Neither team should fall out of the top 10 by then. Neither team should be counted out of the national championship race in the interim.

ESPN came Full Circle in Auburn. The Tigers and the Gators should do the same in Atlanta. Just thought you should know.

You should have known Jordan-Hare would be more awake and alive after dark than it was at dawn the week before. You should have known the Auburn football team would come light years in seven days

Because highly ranked teams want no part of Tuberville and the Tigers.

How many other coaches have beaten a Florida team ranked No. 1, as Tuberville did in 2001, and a Florida team ranked No. 2, as he did Saturday night? For Tuberville, beating top 10's is a trend.

If you didn't know Auburn would play its best game since LSU, you don't know Tuberville. But Charles Barkley does.

The Auburn basketball great knows Auburn football. During a phone interview Saturday morning with ESPN's College GameDay crew, Barkley predicted the game would end this way: Auburn 21, Florida 17.

That was the final score until the final play.

Lose to Arkansas with a whimper and beat Florida with a bang?

That's Tuberville. That's Auburn.

You should have known.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

Sunday, October 15, 2006

You should have known.

If you knew anything about the Auburn football program in its eight years under Tommy Tuberville, you should have known.

You should have known his Tigers would come back strong a week after coming up lame.

You should have known they would play better and stronger and faster and smarter Saturday night than they had in weeks.

You should have known, after getting knocked down and stepped on by Arkansas, they would not lay down for Florida.

If you didn't, you know now.

Auburn 27, Florida 17 wasn't an upset.

It wasn't the shock of the century or the surprise of the week.

It wasn't an underdog playing over its head in its house and a favorite playing down to its competition away from home.

It was the two best teams in the Southeastern Conference struggling to score against each other, struggling to separate from one another.

It was Florida looking unstoppable in the first half and, from there, Auburn doing what it does in the biggest games against the best teams.

It was Auburn making big stops. Hello, Tray Blackmon. Welcome to college football. What took you so long?

It was Auburn making special plays on special teams. Tristan Davis, MVP. Most Valuable Punt-Rusher.

It was Auburn making something happen on defense and in the kicking game when those guys had no choice because the offense couldn't find the end zone against a serious Florida defense.

Forget the final score, inflated by a fumble return for a touchdown on Florida's desperate final play. This wasn't a 10-point game. This wasn't a one-sided game. This was a one play here and one play there game. This was a game so full of athletes and atmosphere it should be replayed one more time.

Not on TiVo. In person.

Thank heaven and Roy Kramer for the SEC Championship Game.

When all is said and done, it's likely that Auburn and Florida will have something more to say to each other because they'll have to face one another again in the Georgia Dome.

Neither team should lose again till then.

Neither team should fall out of the top 10 by then. Neither team should be counted out of the national championship race in the interim.

ESPN came Full Circle in Auburn. The Tigers and the Gators should do the same in Atlanta. Just thought you should know.

You should have known Jordan-Hare would be more awake and alive after dark than it was at dawn the week before. You should have known the Auburn football team would come light years in seven days

Because highly ranked teams want no part of Tuberville and the Tigers.

How many other coaches have beaten a Florida team ranked No. 1, as Tuberville did in 2001, and a Florida team ranked No. 2, as he did Saturday night? For Tuberville, beating top 10's is a trend.

If you didn't know Auburn would play its best game since LSU, you don't know Tuberville. But Charles Barkley does.

The Auburn basketball great knows Auburn football. During a phone interview Saturday morning with ESPN's College GameDay crew, Barkley predicted the game would end this way: Auburn 21, Florida 17.

That was the final score until the final play.

Lose to Arkansas with a whimper and beat Florida with a bang?

That's Tuberville. That's Auburn.

You should have known.

Awesome Article! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

That is interesting. I am nervous before every big game we play. I was so nervous before LSU this year, I didn't eat breakfast. But for some reason, I wasn't yesterday.

The tickets we originally supposed to have were denied to us. The people screwed us. At the exact same moment that we found out, we found some on e-bay for half the price. I picked them up the next day, and it turned out the guy was right down the street from me. We got to Auburn yesterday morning, found a tailgating spot right away, drank and ate. I think we all had that mentality that getting such great seats was miraculous in itself, and that somebody up there wanted us to go to the game. I never was nervous, just very excited. I think I knew deep down that Auburn would find a way. During the 2nd half comeback, all I kept saying was, "We believe in Auburn, I believe in this team. I know we can do it!"

We did it. We got to do the chomp. We got to chant "Corso sucks!" when he was right there close to us until he kissed the Auburn helmet, and we even got to roll Toomer's Corner with Al Borges who showed up next to us. I think we all knew what was going to happen. All in all, the most complete, the most exciting gameday atmosphere I have EVER experienced at Auburn.

WDE!

Ryan

Archived