Tray Blackmon to SS

townhallsavoy

I know that Blackmon has made a couple of big plays but I'm getting a little tired of seeing him get pushed around every time a blocker gets his hands on him. He's listed as 6'0 210. He's not 6 feet tall. I see him around campus and he's shorter than my roommate, who is 6 feet tall. Without that cowboy collar, he'd look a whole lot smaller on the field. What are your thoughts on moving him to SS?

So far, he's been used as a blitzing linebacker...but you can't blitz him every time he gets in the game.

I know that Blackmon has made a couple of big plays but I'm getting a little tired of seeing him get pushed around every time a blocker gets his hands on him. He's listed as 6'0 210. He's not 6 feet tall. I see him around campus and he's shorter than my roommate, who is 6 feet tall. Without that cowboy collar, he'd look a whole lot smaller on the field. What are your thoughts on moving him to SS?

So far, he's been used as a blitzing linebacker...but you can't blitz him every time he gets in the game.

I think tray is doing fine at linebacker...remember he's only a freshmen and i'm sure will pack on some muscle as his training continues. He's made some freshmen mistakes but he's also made some great tackles

Blackmon will be fine. He sat an entire season last year and then sat 6 games this year. I thought Sears would have been in the rotation more especially with his experience and size. If the Coaches make any moves I still think they need to find a position to put Tristan on the field more.

Blackmon will be fine. He sat an entire season last year and then sat 6 games this year. I thought Sears would have been in the rotation more especially with his experience and size. If the Coaches make any moves I still think they need to find a position to put Tristan on the field more.

Word. Tristan is a play-maker and I definently agree that he should be on the field more.

who is tristan playing over?? brock has been the best defensive player on the team (huge, huge, huge, huge loss against asu... no way uga throws all over us like they did with him on the field) so tristan's not playing over him. while he and savage were neck and neck at the beginning of the year, the coaches picked savage (and he's played pretty well). i like tristan... i just don't know where folks think he should be.

if you say offense, who you taking carries away from? kenny has been hurt and still effective (5 ypc last weekend on 10 carries). brad lester has been the best back on the team this year. and ben tate looks pretty special. at wr, we've never actually seen if tristan can catch.

who is tristan playing over?? brock has been the best defensive player on the team (huge, huge, huge, huge loss against asu... no way uga throws all over us like they did with him on the field) so tristan's not playing over him. while he and savage were neck and neck at the beginning of the year, the coaches picked savage (and he's played pretty well). i like tristan... i just don't know where folks think he should be.

if you say offense, who you taking carries away from? kenny has been hurt and still effective (5 ypc last weekend on 10 carries). brad lester has been the best back on the team this year. and ben tate looks pretty special. at wr, we've never actually seen if tristan can catch.

I agree with you 100% on the fact that our safety's have been huge this year. My opinion? I'd like to see him utilized a little bit on offense. Next season I wouldn't mind seeing him as an occasional slot reason reciever (kinda taking Lee Guess' job). I think he would make a decent reciever with some practice based on his speed and the fact he can catch. He'd be pretty effective on a reverse too.

Our corners (other than david) could you a little help.

I'm pretty new here, and I apologize if this has already been discussed, but why haven't we tried him returning punts?

Like in the slot on offense, where he can run reverses and such. THat guy needs his hands on the football...not wasting away as a backup safety!!!

:au::homer:

and the fact he can catch.

I'm pretty new here, and I apologize if this has already been discussed, but why haven't we tried him returning punts?

Where did you hear Tristian Davis can catch? Thats the reason he hasn't been used as a punt returner nor as a reciever. He is a great athlete but good hands he does not have. That has limited our ability to use him. Some guys just can't hang onto the ball (ie. david irons).

Catching Kick-offs is a lot easier than catching punts and passes. Not to mention the fact that guys are all around you on punts and passes but you are in open field with kick-offs.

Where did you hear Tristian Davis can catch? Thats the reason he hasn't been used as a punt returner nor as a reciever. He is a great athlete but good hands he does not have. That has limited our ability to use him. Some guys just can't hang onto the ball (ie. david irons).

Catching Kick-offs is a lot easier than catching punts and passes. Not to mention the fact that guys are all around you on punts and passes but you are in open field with kick-offs.

Everything I know about Tristan's hands is overheard from previous discussions, I will admit that. A buddy of mine from East Point and went to high school with him and always preaches about Tristan's all around athletic ability (hands included)

Where did you hear that he couldn't?

I don't care if you gotta walk over and tape the damn ball to his chest, just get him the ball.

Reverses, shovel passes, direct snaps, whatever. When the guy has the ball in his hands, good things happen. Doesn't have to be 20 plays, just 3 or 4. But it won't happen, hell these dumbos can't figure out how to get the ball in Stewart's hands more (besides FB plays) and he CAN catch.

Everything I know about Tristan's hands is overheard from previous discussions, I will admit that. A buddy of mine from East Point and went to high school with him and always preaches about Tristan's all around athletic ability (hands included)

Where did you hear that he couldn't?

Coach Tubs has addressed this several times on tiger talk. Every week some fan asks why we dont use Tristan more and every week Tubs tells them that he doesnt have great hands so they dont feel like they can put him at PR or WR. I think for him to come out publicly and speak poorly about a certain aspect of a players game means that it must be pretty bad. I say take your chances with him at WR or slot. If he catches 1 ball out of 10 that is one more chance at a touchdown than our other receivers give you.

I say take your chances with him at WR or slot. If he catches 1 ball out of 10 that is one more chance at a touchdown than our other receivers give you.

Personally I am going to have to call BS on this one. If you throw ten times at him and he only catches one then it is a waste. How many receivers get thrown to ten times in a game? Not many is the answer. If you are then throwing ten times to a target that only catches 10% of the balls you throw at him then how hard is it for the defense to key on him. I say not hard!

Or maybe you are saying just throw at him a couple times a game? I understand that he can be a playmaker but I gotta believe that CTT believes some of the others can be playmakers or they would not be in there. Just my .02.

I say take your chances with him at WR or slot. If he catches 1 ball out of 10 that is one more chance at a touchdown than our other receivers give you.

Personally I am going to have to call BS on this one. If you throw ten times at him and he only catches one then it is a waste. How many receivers get thrown to ten times in a game? Not many is the answer. If you are then throwing ten times to a target that only catches 10% of the balls you throw at him then how hard is it for the defense to key on him. I say not hard!

Or maybe you are saying just throw at him a couple times a game? I understand that he can be a playmaker but I gotta believe that CTT believes some of the others can be playmakers or they would not be in there. Just my .02.

I never said throw it to him 10 times a game. I am saying if you give him 10 chances, in any time frame you choose, I feel like he makes at least 1 play(which is more than I can say for any of our receivers). Personally I dont think any of our receivers are gamebreakers. CT is the best we have and even he is more of a possession receiver. I think given a few opportunities lined up as a receiver(runs, reverses, passes, etc), I think he has the ability to hit a homerun every once in a while. I agree with you that CTT knows far more than I do about any of these players, but he is a complete waste at safety though. If you look at the depth chart, there is a chance that he never plays a down on defense. He has multiple people in front of him at both safety spots. Ferguson, Brock, Savage and even cornerback Jeraud Powers have played safety over Tristan. He might be the most athletically gifted guy on the team, and he also may never play another signifficant down for the tigers besides his current role as kick returner. If he isnt going to ever play on defense why not put him in a play or two as a multipurpose player on offense every now and then.

yea. after I re-read your post I realized what you were saying. I guess I just find it hard to believe that if he is capable of beating anyone else out at any position he would not be in there. I agree he has tremendous raw talent but do we need someone else on the filed who may or may not know where to go or what to do?

I think tray is doing fine at linebacker...remember he's only a freshmen and i'm sure will pack on some muscle as his training continues. He's made some freshmen mistakes but he's also made some great tackles

I think Tray should be used a la Stanley McGlover on Sarah Jessica Parker.

Archived