Cult of Personality Without the Personality

DKW 86

http://loserwithsocks.wordpress.com/2007/0...at-bears-grave/

That was my dream. I wanted to be head coach at Tulsa,” said Todd Graham, speaking on a conference call from Kansas City, where his plane was diverted from Houston due to Friday’s ice storm. “We have a heart for Tulsa.”

Breaking Arkansas Mustain-a-riffic news: Coach Gus “I am Houston Nutt’s Puppet” Malzahn is reported to be moving to Tulsa with the good haired Todd Graham. Will he take the Springdale Divas and their Spiritual Leader Beck Campbell with him? Does Gus possess the requisite “good hair”? Will the Hogs now return back to offensive mediocrity? Houston Nutt is insane.

The influence of Nick Saban, his cult of personality if you will, permeates in the deepest of fart chimneys of college football. Just take a look at the Rice to Tulsa coaching swap. Nope, we are not kidding, Tulsa and Rice, good God almighty these boys have entered “Fart Combat”. This is so wrong on so many levels. But if ESPN can push Louisville, West Virginia and Rutgers, why not Tulsa and Rice? (C-USA=the ‘New Blaque’ Big East) Look at the parallels to the Saban to Bama scenario:

Saban from LSU (with the NFL failure in between) to Bama; Todd Graham goes Rice to Tulsa; Freakishly, both guys are staying within the same (West) division of their respective conference.

Saban left his former team (the Dolphins) in a lurch after telling anyone and everyone that he was not going to go to Bama; Graham had just signed a new contract with Rice before taking off to Tulsa.

and finally, the hair, it always comes back to the severe hair. Saban has been said to possess the SEC’s best hairdo. Take a peek at Graham below. No that is not an SEC coiff but I ask is there a Conference USA coach that can touch Graham from a hairstyle perspective?

Graham is not Nick Saban but who really is? Ask any Bama fan right now, they will certainly tell any Barner that will listen that Saban is the fat girl’s milkshake. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with a little emulation Nick. It just means that you really made it.

Back on topic, Saban’s “Angel-Wing Bangs” are best described as hypnotic. Look at Saban’s photo below, it is almost as if he is trying to steal our soul as he points upwards towards his angel-wings.

t1_sabanbama.jpg

Tulsa hired Rice’s Todd Graham as its new head coach Friday, replacing Steve Kragthorpe with his former defensive coordinator.

“I left Rice a lot better than how I found it,” said Graham. (sure you did Todd. They all say that when they they have hit the potential wall)

That won’t win him any humanitarian awards in Houston, but it is the harsh lesson of coaching in the fast-paced modern world of college athletics. (Not that anyone really gives two sh**s about C-USA Football)

“It’s the reality of where we’re at,” said TU athletic director Bubba Cunningham. “That’s the world we live in.” (Bubba? Could he be the notorious Bubba for Bama?)

Entertaining. Although, if you threw in the word "clones" a few times, it could be the irritating Tony Rome. :poke:

You mean Jim Rome. ;) And yeah, he's irritating.

Being in Houston, I have an up close perspective on this whole thing. Graham did leave Rice better off - it was not long ago that the faculty tried to get football and other athletics abolished from Rice. Graham got promises from the powers that be to improve facilities, did some good recruiting, took them to their first bowl game in a thousand years, stuff like that. But just like Saban, he set forth some goals for Rice football and recruited kids based on those goals, and now he isn't seeing it through. I personally don't understand the lateral move, even tho it was for a HUGE amount of money. I also don't understand how Tulsa has that kind of money to pay a football coach.

Entertaining. Although, if you threw in the word "clones" a few times, it could be the irritating Tony Rome. :poke:

You mean Jim Rome. ;) And yeah, he's irritating.

Yes, Jim Rome... thanks for the correction... shows you how much I listen to him.

Archived