U.S. Navy to use dolphins with fricking lasers on their fricking flippers

Tiger in Spain

Navy May Deploy Anti-Terrorism Dolphins

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Dozens of dolphins and sea lions trained to detect and apprehend waterborne attackers could be sent to patrol a military base in Washington state, the Navy said Monday. In a notice published in this week's Federal Register, the Navy said it needs to bolster security at Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, on the Puget Sound close to Seattle.

The base is home to submarines, ships and laboratories and is potentially vulnerable to attack by terrorist swimmers and scuba divers, the notice states.

Several options are under consideration, but the preferred plan would be to send as many as 30 California sea lions and Atlantic Bottlenose dolphins from the Navy's Marine Mammal Program, based in San Diego.

"These animals have the capabilities for what needs to be done for this particular mission," said Tom LaPuzza, a spokesman for the Marine Mammal Program.

LaPuzza said that because of their astonishing sonar abilities, dolphins are excellent at patrolling for swimmers and divers. When a Navy dolphin detects a person in the water, it drops a beacon. This tells a human interception team where to find the suspicious swimmer.

<snip>

dolphins.jpg

Link

The Pentagon had to cut the funding. The fish would quit working for the halibut and we weren't getting results for the money.

I heard that keeping up with the logistics of it all was becoming a real haddock. (sorry...)

That's fer eel!

I heard that keeping up with the logistics of it all was becoming a real haddock. (sorry...)

Sounds exactly like something my dad would say... Like telling me that I should have a rockin' good time in geology.

Archived