Okay. Great Restaurants in Alabama.

otterinbham

Here's your chance to share great places to eat in our fine state. But, before you begin, here are the rules:

1) No Chain Restaurants. The means no Hooters, Olive Garden, Ruth Chris, or any other place. The restaurant has to be home-grown, owned by local people.

2) If it's fine dining or casual, say so.

3) Name the city where it can be found.

My picks--All these are in Birmingham.

Fine dining.

1) Highlands. Still great, but it's slipped a notch

2) Ocean.

3) Hot & Hot

4) Little Savannah. Really great for an intimate dinner for two.

5) Bella Bistro. Up and coming.

More Casual

1) Fire. Can be fine dining, but really good.

2) Surin. Gotta love Thai food, but not sure if it's a chain or not.

3) Silvertron. It's back on its feet. Plus it's really fun for people watching.

4) Bottega Cantina.

5) Ciao.

Anybody else?

A couple of my favorites down in the Wiregrass:

McLin's - Daleville, AL. McLin's is a casual place, mainly known for their seafood, but also have great steaks. Onion rings are a must. They serve whole catfish, have great fried shrimp, and there really isn't a choice you can go wrong with.

Hunt's - Dothan, AL. Hunts is very similar to McLin's, but they serve raw oysters and beer. Awesome food in a casual, deep-south, family-style atmosphere.

The Rawls - Enterprise, AL. Located in the historic Rawls' Hotel, the restaurant is located off of Main Street right down from the Boll Weevil Monument. Excellent food, and I would consider it a 'fine dining' restaurant.

Some of my favorites in Birmingham:

Chez Fon Fon – 5 Points. Similar to The Highlands (and right next door), this is another Frank Stitt restaurant. The atmosphere is a little more casual than The Highlands, but the food is excellent.

Lakeview Oyster House – Lakeview District. Casual restaurant that is great for lunch or dinner. Located in a renovated old house, it is right across the street from some good bars, too. **Also located right next to On Tap, where we’ve had a few AUnation get-togethers.

Flat Rock Grille – Hoover. Although it is a small chain restaurant (there’s only five of them), they have great food and a great atmosphere. There is not a bad meal on the menu.

Superior Grille – Hwy 280. Best Mexican in Birmingham, in my opinion.

There are more out there, but that’s all I can think of right now. Pretty much every place that otter named I would put on my list, too.

Superior Grille – Hwy 280. Best Mexican in Birmingham, in my opinion.

The Prattvillians on this board know that the best Mexican food can be found at Mexico Tipico.

Hey, Supper...when I was in Dothan last year on biz, we ate at this really great Italian place in the downtown area. Do you remember the name?

I can't think of it, but maybe AUesquire would know.

But since we've started talking about Dothan, here are a couple of other great places:

Conestoga Steak House

Old Mill Restaurant

In the Shoals area:

Fine Dining:

Dale's - Right next to O'Neal Bridge on the Florence side of the river

George's - Next to Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield

...and that's about it, sadly.

More Casual Dining:

Ragazza Italiano - on Main Street in Tuscumbia

The Palace Ice Cream & Sandwich - on Main Street in Tuscumbia. It's like an old 40's or 50's soda fountain

The Smokehouse - on Tennessee Street in Florence. It's a pool hall but the chili burgers are to die for. It was a pretty popular hangout during college.

Staggs Grocery - It's not a grocery store but it is a great place to get lunch. It's in old East Florence on Royal Avenue.

Dawg House - It used to be called Flo's back in the day when Flo was still alive but the new owners serve basically the same menu...which isn't much...but it's good. It's in Sheffield on 2nd Street.

Cajun's Seafood - Real coonass food. Sports bar type feel. Been in business since the beginning of time. It's on Jackson Highway in Sheffield. Unfortunately, the overwhelming presence of bammers on any given night makes the place less than desirable...but the food is great.

Hey, Supper...when I was in Dothan last year on biz, we ate at this really great Italian place in the downtown area. Do you remember the name?

Serrafino is the name of the only Italian place in downtown Dothan, that's probably it.

In Dothan the best resturants are as follows:

Hunt's -- steak, oysters, various seafood

Contestoga -- STEAK!!!

Old Mill -- steaks and seafood

Mexican Connection -- Chicken Nachos are killer

231 BBQ (Not really in Dothan - it's above Midland City on hwy 231 of course) -- BBQ no doubt

Mobile

Justine's at the Pillars - fine dining

Seafood

The Original Oyster House

casual

Roussos Seafood

Birmingham

Italian

Ciao Italian Restaurant

2031 Cahaba Road

There used to be an Italian restaurant on the South side just up from the UAB practice field. I can't remember the name, but it was very good. The food was great but you didn't need to go if you were in a hurry. They have since closed and moved to Anniston. From what I have heard the food is still great but the chef takes his time to make things perfect.

French

Rue de Provence

2838 Culver Road

The Restaurant at Culinard

195 Vulcan Road

Homewood

Dining Style: Casual Elegant

Cuisine: Contemporary American, Fusion / Eclectic

Birmingham

One of the BEST things about Bham is all the good LOCAL food. Chains dont do as well here as do the local places. I'm pretty proud of the food here.

There are Four acceptable answers for Italian.

Lovoys - Green Springs, family owned, veal parmesean is on point.

Leonardo's - Rocky Ridge. Small, quaint, awesome.

Italian Villa - Crestwood Blvd in Irondale. Sketchiest restaurant in bham. SUPER good food.

Formaggios

Superior Grill is a chain. And while a fun atmosphere, not even to be considered Mexican IMO. They have good food though.

Mexican - Sol Azteca. Done.

Nicer places

Daniel George

Mauby's

26 on southside

Bottega

Others I like

Sol y Luna

Surin West for good Thai or Sushi

(Sakura used ot have GREAT sushi, then they got bought out. Now they suck ass)

Full Moon has great BBQ

Diplomat Deli in Vestavia

I’m not real impressed with Lavoy’s. I’ve had their veal parmesan, but it wasn’t anything to write home about, IMO. Now Leonardo’s, that’s a whole other ballgame. Awesome Italian food.

Sol Azteca is good food, but it doesn’t have any atmosphere to me. I forgot about Superior Grille being a chain, but the atmosphere and food are still second to none.

Nicer places

Daniel George

Mauby's

26 on southside

Bottega

Agreeance on all except Mauby's. I've never eaten there.

Sol Azteca was better when it was that dump in the bottom of the Vestavia Motor Lodge. Now that they've gone all big time...well they are still good, but not as good.

Oh I forgot to add to my list:

Diplomat Deli in Vestavia

In Auburn:

Fine Dining - Christopher

Its a fairly new place that doesn't advertise a lot but the food comes beautifully prepared to culinary perfection in large preportions and the service is incomparable.

In Mobile Bay:

Felix? Is that a chain? I enjoy the restaurant, great food.

My favorite in Mobile is Wintzell's and the Original Oyster House (both seafood).

In B'ham area is Lloyd's (home cooking place, try the onion rings).

Some others around the state that I like are

David's in Monroeville (catfish joint)

Ezell's in Butler (also catfish, call before you go to make sure that the parking lot is not under the Tombigbee...seriously.)

Capital City Club in Montgomery (fine dining, must be a member, only have been able to go once).

Beauregard's in Huntsville (chicken wings and cheap beer).

Surin of Thailand Huntsville (excellent Masaman Curry and good sushi)

Arnold's One Stop in Snow Hill (barbecue, gas station, laundromat, mechanic, convenience store) Reminds me of the Kevin Fowler Song "Beer, Bait, and Ammo". "They got your fishing hooks, your dirty books, they got your rebel flag on the wall..."

and my favorite chain (but also I consider a local to Alabama place) is Milo's! I could do shots of the hamburger sauce as long as I had a sweet tea chaser!

I'm not dogging your selection, because I know a TON of people who like Lloyd's. But MAN I just don't get it with that place. Never had a good meal there.

Guys why does everyone on here hate chain restaurants??? I think that some chain's do a great job and just because they aren't owned locally doesnt make them bad! I may be biased but I say support all the restaurants in Birmingham, some chains give you a personal touch, remember you by name and take time to say hello and thank you for dining! Ill stop now I just say not all chain's are bad!

I'm not dogging your selection, because I know a TON of people who like Lloyd's. But MAN I just don't get it with that place. Never had a good meal there.

They were hit or miss sometimes on the fried chicken but the hamburger steak smothered in onions and the homemade blue cheese salad dressing makes up for it.

Guys why does everyone on here hate chain restaurants??? I think that some chain's do a great job and just because they aren't owned locally doesnt make them bad! I may be biased but I say support all the restaurants in Birmingham, some chains give you a personal touch, remember you by name and take time to say hello and thank you for dining! Ill stop now I just say not all chain's are bad!

Yes, you're right. There are some good chain restaurants.

That being said, my intent was not to jump up and down on chain restaurants (which really hasn't happened on this thread), but to really promote locally-owned restaurants. You know, the places with unique character in an age of mass homogenization. Places where the local tastes can really be emphasized. After all, even more casual places such as Lloyd's or Lovoys have followings because of history with the locals and a quality that just can't be captured in a chain.

If I'm in an unfamiliar town, I will eat at an Olive Garden or something similar, simply because I can rely on a certain standard. However, discovering a local restaurant and hanging out with the locals is a lot more fun.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Landry's is awesome!

:comfort:

(Actually I've never been there, but if I do show ever make it, I expect a discount for advertising)

Landry's is terrible. Period.

In Birmingham:

Firebird's Grill in Patton Creek is very good

Hot & Hot is also a good place

The Italian Villa in Irondale

I know it is a chain, but for my money, Carrabba's has the best Italian food here

J Alexander was a great place to get a steak around the Galleria, but I don't know if it is still there

For a more relaxed meal:

The Garage has the best sandwiches in the Ham

Joel's in Trussville for Meat & veg on Sundays can't be beat

Im going to let you guys in on a little secret. If you are ever in Alabaster around lunch time do yourself a big favor and go to Capers comfort foods. It's a mom and pop cafeteria style joint inside the BP station across from shelby hospital. I know what your thinking, its in a gas station so it must be nasty, WRONG!. Heaping portions of the best damn meat and veggies anywhere is their specialty. Get there early though because there is usually a line out the door by noon.

Fox Valley in Helena/Alabaster. Incredible crab cake...

In Auburn I love Amsterdam's,,, I love the crab cake sandwich.

What about G's is that still in birmingham. I went there with my parents for my high school grad. and it was incredible.

And then not really a restaurant but I have to give props to my mother... she definitely knows how to cook.

Archived