Some people are friggin' sick

Washington, DC (WUSA) -- When the news broke this week about the contaminated pet food that was making some animals sick, there was one group of pet owners that wasn’t worried at all. They were the folks paying top dollar for top of the line pet victuals that will have man’s best friend eating some of man’s best food.

It used to be that dog food was the stuff left over that you and I would never choose to eat. Notice, I used the words: "used to be." Things are different now.

Tori Tyree, manager of Green Pets on 14th St. in Northwest DC says all the food she sells is organic, and the meat is what she calls "human grade."

"Most people come in here and say, 'My dog eats better than I do,'" she says.

In Green Pets, only the chew toys look like dog food, owners regularly bring their pets to visit and the news of the recent massive pet food recall didn't raise many hackles. In fact, pet owners we talked to were sanguine and sure that the food here would have no problem.

"I've been told by our vet that it's the Cadillac of dog foods...the brand that we buy here...so I wasn't that concerned,” said one dog owner.

But while the packaging is certainly pretty, Tyree says just like a dog, it's what’s inside that makes the difference. "Mostly what that means is its a really nutrient dense food. There is a lot more meat per square inch than in the other stuff."

All those nutrients don't come cheap. This gourmet canine cuisine is perhaps twice the cost of your basic supermarket brand canine chow. But Tyree says you get what you pay for.

"A lot of the foods are kind of like McDonalds. We eat it. We like it. If your expecting to sustain your life on it healthily forever, it's probably not going to happen.”

So is it worth the extra cash? The folks at the Friendship Animal Hospital would only say that quality food is important to a dog's health.

link w/ video of reporter enjoying a snack

Old Roy ain't never bothered my dawg!

It goes in and comes out right regular like.

Is that the same dog that climbed the 4ft fence and got runned over in the street?

Is that the same dog that climbed the 4ft fence and got runned over in the street?

I actually upgraded him to Dog Chow. He still had his cajones. I think he went out to get a little and never made it back home. At least he died with his "boys" still in tact. I do miss that dog.

Archived