Bama A-Day

quietfan

All I've heard about since yesterday was the size of the crowd in Jordan-Hare West and/or how big Saban hysteria is. I haven't heard any objective evaluations of team performance. Of course, I would love to hear that the focus is on the crowd because the actual performance on the field was too embarrassing to discuss. :rolleyes:

But I don't know that. And while I imagine, like me, not too many Auburn fans were present or followed it closely, did anyone see the game or post-game reports on how the team performed? Anyone have any reviews of on-field performance? Strengths? Weaknesses? Portents for next season? Perhaps some of our more rational AUNation Bammers* were there and could provide some objective evaluations of the Tide's performance yesterday? (...Not that spring games really tell a lot about a team.)

*Yeah, I know "rational Bammers" is something of an oxymoron, but a few of the Tide fans we have here flirt with rationality on occasion. ;):poke:

I know they "won" 20-13. I did hear that Sarah Jessica Parker looked real good in the pocket. The recievers were supposedly pretty good, but didn't hear much anything else. Too much bragging about their crowd to elicit any useful information about what actually happened.

Ryan

All I've heard about since yesterday was the size of the crowd in Jordan-Hare West and/or how big Saban hysteria is. I haven't heard any objective evaluations of team performance. Of course, I would love to hear that the focus is on the crowd because the actual performance on the field was too embarrassing to discuss. :rolleyes:

But I don't know that. And while I imagine, like me, not too many Auburn fans were present or followed it closely, did anyone see the game or post-game reports on how the team performed? Anyone have any reviews of on-field performance? Strengths? Weaknesses? Portents for next season? Perhaps some of our more rational AUNation Bammers* were there and could provide some objective evaluations of the Tide's performance yesterday? (...Not that spring games really tell a lot about a team.)

*Yeah, I know "rational Bammers" is something of an oxymoron, but a few of the Tide fans we have here flirt with rationality on occasion. ;):poke:

was not there and did not watch it on tv because it was not broadcasted where I was.. but seems so little coming out on papers other than the freakin crowd size.. but I totally agree with you, I am sick of reading about how many showed up...

from his PC, it seems that the receivers were not consistent... still having some trouble not showing/having fatigue in the 4th Qt. Offensive line was not doing a good job with the run... so pretty much everything that Shula did not fix..lol

I have no f#$%$ idea why people are f#%$$#% excited...

Positives:

- The secondary! This is where I was most impressed. It was the first time that I had seen Bama play agressive, man-up coverage. The defensive backs looked strong and I was very impressed with Javier Arenas. Major props to Saban for getting "his" group ready. I remember this intense coverage when Saban was on the Bayou.

- Earl Alexander. He appears to be a solid receiver who can fill the void of Hall and Brown in 2008.

- Jonathan Lowe. We now have two gamebreakers on special teams. Having him and Javier on KOs wil be a major asset.

- Keith Saunders. Ever see Andre Smith get whipped? I hadn't, until I saw the speedy Saunders get past him on a couple of occasions yesterday. Beating big Dre is no small task.

- The fans, all 95 thousand of them. You know it has to mean a lot to the players to see nearly 100 thousand people show up for a spring game. It makes me proud to be a 'Bama fan.

Negatives:

- No established 2nd team QB. Nick Fanuzzi has a good chance to compete for the #2 slot, although I'm sure Saban and Applewhite would like to redshirt him.

- Little to no depth on defense. The starting eleven looked stout, but we're very thin outside of our starters. The second string moved the ball quite easily on our second string defense.

- It's 132 days before I can see my Tide take the field again. I hate the offseason.

I know they "won" 20-13. I did hear that Sarah Jessica Parker looked real good in the pocket. The recievers were supposedly pretty good, but didn't hear much anything else. Too much bragging about their crowd to elicit any useful information about what actually happened.

Ryan

I am NOT a rational (or irrational bammer), but I went to the game in Jordan-Hare West yesterday. Sarah Jessica Parker did look the best of any player out there, but that isn't saying much. I saw him play much better last year. There was a running back (don't remember his name, but he's new), that had some bright spots, but he overall was not that good. Andre Smith looked good (can he help but look good), but that's it. But what really killed me was the number of "fans" that are sure SPUAT will be NC this year. No way. From what I saw, the team will be lucky to win 6 games.

What's your prediction for AU this year after watching their spring game? 12-0? Honestly, you can't put a W-L total after watching a spring game. You know how those games are.

As a watcher of many Tide games, I saw some bright spots and some dim spots. Overall, I was pleased with the way we looked as a team. Our first 11 on both sides is pretty good. If something kills us this year, it will be our depth. We may need some of the blue chip freshman to step in and contribute...

Positives:

Running Back play. Terry Grant is going to be a very very strong player. They are really working on ways to get him the ball via screens and runs. By the end of the year, everyone in the SEC will know who he is. Jimmy Johns is still a major "meh" to me. He did miss practice, but to me he looks to be behind Grant, Upchurch, Coffee.

WR play. Yes there were some drops, but the emergence of Alexander and the steady play from Stover are welcome signs of positive improvement. We are very deep at WR.

QB play. JPW made some awesome throws yesterday. And I like the backup McElroy. It was his first live scrimmage type event, and he had some really good drives down the field. He needs to work on his arm strength. Like most new QBs he floats his deep ball.

Oline. Looked much better when compared to last year. Maybe thats because Capps was hurt and out of the lineup.

Secondary. Again, quite deep in the secondary. DBs played very aggressive and made some awesome plays on the ball.

Kick/Punt returns. Jonathan Lowe and Arenas will be quite valuable in the field position game this year.

Negatives:

Front seven on D. We have really solid DEs. And a good MLB. But thats about it. Middle of the field is going to be soft against the run. And if we have to walk up our nickel for run support, we will be open to giving up chucks of passing yardage.

Also I'm still not sure we have a good punter yet.

It seemed to me that there were still some conceptual type mental mistakes. This is probably because the packages are still so new, but there were a lot of little errors on route running or substitutions problems.

All in all, I'm pretty excited. Very strong at skill positions. Will be typical RB by commitee like Saban always does. WR is a deep position for us. And I love the secondary. I'm just worried that we will give up some long scoring drives due to our lack of quality front seven depth. And we still don't know much about the right tackle position.

Positives:

Running Back play. Terry Grant is going to be a very very strong player. They are really working on ways to get him the ball via screens and runs. By the end of the year, everyone in the SEC will know who he is. Jimmy Johns is still a major "meh" to me. He did miss practice, but to me he looks to be behind Grant, Upchurch, Coffee.

WR play. Yes there were some drops, but the emergence of Alexander and the steady play from Stover are welcome signs of positive improvement. We are very deep at WR.

QB play. JPW made some awesome throws yesterday. And I like the backup McElroy. It was his first live scrimmage type event, and he had some really good drives down the field. He needs to work on his arm strength. Like most new QBs he floats his deep ball.

Oline. Looked much better when compared to last year. Maybe thats because Capps was hurt and out of the lineup.

Secondary. Again, quite deep in the secondary. DBs played very aggressive and made some awesome plays on the ball.

Kick/Punt returns. Jonathan Lowe and Arenas will be quite valuable in the field position game this year.

Negatives:

Front seven on D. We have really solid DEs. And a good MLB. But thats about it. Middle of the field is going to be soft against the run. And if we have to walk up our nickel for run support, we will be open to giving up chucks of passing yardage.

Also I'm still not sure we have a good punter yet.

It seemed to me that there were still some conceptual type mental mistakes. This is probably because the packages are still so new, but there were a lot of little errors on route running or substitutions problems.

All in all, I'm pretty excited. Very strong at skill positions. Will be typical RB by commitee like Saban always does. WR is a deep position for us. And I love the secondary. I'm just worried that we will give up some long scoring drives due to our lack of quality front seven depth. And we still don't know much about the right tackle position.

Thanks BG...nice assessment. B)

:au::homer:

Wilson looked pretty good, as did DJ Hall. I agree with some of the other posts, the back up isnt in stone yet. Running backs are small, but they are good and cut really well. Jimmy Johns is the only big back. We hit the tight end a few times, made me really happy.

Front seven are young and inexperienced, that will be a weakness. The Mike and Sam will have alot of work to do. The secondary looked improved, but time will tell. Overall, we improved. I think we win 7 or 8.

Offense - MUCH Better

Defense - Better

Special Teams - MUCH Better

Coaching - MUCH Better

S&C - MUCH Better

-Sigh-

BG's response to BP's post........

:banghead:

Offense - MUCH Better

Defense - Better

Special Teams - MUCH Better

Coaching - MUCH Better

S&C - MUCH Better

-Sigh-

Let me translate into Bammer speak.

Offense - MUCH Better MUCH Gooder

Defense - Better Gooder

Special Teams - MUCH Better MUCH Gooder

Coaching The Second Greatest Football Coach EVER - MUCH Better MUCH Gooder

S&C - MUCH Better MUCH Gooder

- The fans, all 95 thousand of them. You know it has to mean a lot to the players to see nearly 100 thousand people show up for a spring game. It makes me proud to be a 'Bama fan.

I'm calling :bs: on this one.

You can be proud. I'd be puffing my chest out too. But see the forest, not the trees. The fan support had nothing to do with anyone in a Crimson jersey and you know it. You had 95k+ for one reason. S.A.B.A.N. I bet the players enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But, you'd be hard pressed to get 95k there if Shula, Dubose, Price, Stallings, etc. were coaching. It's the novelty of the new coach (the BESTEST COACH EVAR!!!!), not the support of 'them boys in Crimpson' that turned the majority of your fanbase on this Saturday.

What happens when the shine comes off that new penny? How's your support gonna be then? (FYI, Saban WILL lose a football game).

You can be proud. I'd be puffing my chest out too. But see the forest, not the trees. The fan support had nothing to do with anyone in a Crimson jersey and you know it. You had 95k+ for one reason. S.A.B.A.N. I bet the players enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But, you'd be hard pressed to get 95k there if Shula, Dubose, Price, Stallings, etc. were coaching. It's the novelty of the new coach (the BESTEST COACH EVAR!!!!), not the support of 'them boys in Crimpson' that turned the majority of your fanbase on this Saturday.

What happens when the shine comes off that new penny? How's your support gonna be then? (FYI, Saban WILL lose a football game).

Blasphemy!! :roflol::roflol:

The Mike has work to do? I think Prince Hall (Freshman All American) is pretty darn good.

No smart guy, i meant they will have alot of work to do....as in helping the front 3 in run support. The DE's played well, but only running 3 down lineman puts alot of pressure on the linebackers. Not to mention the corners will be playing a ton of man to man. If we play man to man, then there will have to be alot of blitz packages and pressure on the QB (something we sucked at last year).

We played plenty of 3-4 defense, but i also saw where we lined the Jack linebacker up on the end as a down lineman.

No smart guy, i meant they will have alot of work to do....as in helping the front 3 in run support. The DE's played well, but only running 3 down lineman puts alot of pressure on the linebackers. Not to mention the corners will be playing a ton of man to man. If we play man to man, then there will have to be alot of blitz packages and pressure on the QB (something we sucked at last year).

AHHHHHHH. I see.

AHHHHHHH. I see.

Sorry, not to be an a-hole or anything.

From what I have read about their A-Day, I have pretty much stayed the same on how I think Bama does next year.

I expect Bama's D to be solid but get torched certain games with big plays. Saban's D is very hit or miss with their blitzes.

I am sure all Bama fans won't agree but even with lighting speed, the big plays will occur.

From what I have read about their A-Day, I have pretty much stayed the same on how I think Bama does next year.

I expect Bama's D to be solid but get torched certain games with big plays. Saban's D is very hit or miss with their blitzes.

I am sure all Bama fans won't agree but even with lighting speed, the big plays will occur.

No question, man to man coverage and blitzes are good.....but can be burned if read correctly

They occured in ADay, I don't see why they wont in real games. But I will say, this year, we are probably more open to giving up lots of grinding style rushing yardage. Our secondary is super strong and we are weak up the middle. If teams try to go deep on us...and not run right at us...they would be quite remiss.

Blasphemy!! :roflol::roflol:

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

I just had an image of John Cleese in The Life of Brian in a priest's outfit shouting at the old man about to be stoned.

Definitely one of the funniest scenes in Python history.

Ryan

They occured in ADay, I don't see why they wont in real games. But I will say, this year, we are probably more open to giving up lots of grinding style rushing yardage. Our secondary is super strong and we are weak up the middle. If teams try to go deep on us...and not run right at us...they would be quite remiss.

So that means Brad Lester, Ben Tate, Mario Fannin, Tristan Davis and Enrique Davis will all have big games in next year's Iron Bowl...... By the way, "The "REAL" Rolling Five Deep".......

I don't get it. I have read where the QB's looked great and also where the secondary looked great. Which is it? You can't have both when playing each other. You either threw for a lot of yards and the secondary got torched or your seconday shut them down and the passing game suffered. Choose one or the other.

Archived