If you've been banned from Talladega...for the rest of your life...you might be a redneck

Talladega track bans 14 fans for life

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) - Talladega Superspeedway has permanently banned 14 fans from buying tickets at the speedway following their arrests Sunday for throwing objects on the track after Jeff Gordon's victory in the Aaron's 499.

The fans were charged with disorderly conduct Sunday and posted bond at the track's jail facilities, Talladega County Sheriff Jerry Studdard said. Track officials can't prevent the 14 fans from buying tickets through a third party.

A number of fans began throwing beer cans after Gordon won the race under caution, passing the late Dale Earnhardt — a Talladega favorite — in career wins.

Talladega officials had issued warnings before the race that fans caught throwing objects over the fence separating the grandstands from the track would be arrested.

Superspeedway president Grant Lynch said identifying other fans who threw objects was harder than he had imagined.

"At a baseball game where everybody is sitting down, it's easy to see someone stand up and throw an object onto the field," Lynch said. "I was looking at a section that probably had 300 people in it, and they were all standing up, waving their arms and their caps, and I couldn't pinpoint where any of the objects were coming from."

Track officials added security following a similar incident after Gordon's victory in 2004, and said they will review Sunday's incident to see if more changes are needed.

Fans are allowed to bring small coolers into the track, and also can buy canned beverages at concession stands.

Link

I can't believe they could only finger 14. It was raining beer and beer cans in my section. I'm curious as to how they're going to enforce this. All it will take is a buddy to buy the tickets for them, and they're back in.

I think it's funny how they always report it as "Beer cans" being thrown. It doesn't strike fear into anyone's heart to picture a beer can coming down. Quick, duck. Here comes a featherlight piece of aluminum floating from the sky. Aaaahhh..

No, the reality is that these are full or almost full cans of beer that can seriously injure someone if they get hit. It's a heavy freakin' object launched by a fat redneck from high above in the stands. There's no excuse. Race fans are passionate about their favorite racer. Fine! I'm passionate about Auburn Football and I want to throw up when they lose to Alabama. (Thank God I haven't been sick in a long time :big: )

But I don't feel the need to hurl a beer or whiskey bottle or something at their team as they leave the field. Well, I may "Feel like it" but hey, this ain't Redstick. Hey Dega', if you don't want them to throw beer from the stands, quit allowing them to bring it in the stadium and quit selling the stuff long before the end of the race.

The fans were charged with disorderly conduct Sunday and posted bond at the track's jail facilities, Talladega County Sheriff Jerry Studdard said.

There is a jail, at the track??

The fans were charged with disorderly conduct Sunday and posted bond at the track's jail facilities, Talladega County Sheriff Jerry Studdard said.

There is a jail, at the track??

don't you think there needs to be?

I think it's funny how they always report it as "Beer cans" being thrown. It doesn't strike fear into anyone's heart to picture a beer can coming down. Quick, duck. Here comes a featherlight piece of aluminum floating from the sky. Aaaahhh..

No, the reality is that these are full or almost full cans of beer that can seriously injure someone if they get hit. It's a heavy freakin' object launched by a fat redneck from high above in the stands. There's no excuse. Race fans are passionate about their favorite racer. Fine! I'm passionate about Auburn Football and I want to throw up when they lose to Alabama. (Thank God I haven't been sick in a long time :big: )

But I don't feel the need to hurl a beer or whiskey bottle or something at their team as they leave the field. Well, I may "Feel like it" but hey, this ain't Redstick. Hey Dega', if you don't want them to throw beer from the stands, quit allowing them to bring it in the stadium and quit selling the stuff long before the end of the race.

Plus it's a waste of perfectly good beer. Unless it's Natty Light in which case it merely a waste of a perfectly good recyclable can.

Plus it's a waste of perfectly good beer. Unless it's Natty Light in which case it merely a waste of a perfectly good recyclable can.

I agree on the party foul!

I got a bud that thinks he is really spending large when he hands you a Natty Light. It maybe spending large for him though, he is retired.

I can think of about 200,00 more that I would like to see forbidden to return. They should stay @ bryant deny where they belong ! ! !

I guarantee you the majority of folks in Pell City (non-business owners) would love to see that track moved somewhere down around Dothan. A lot of people I know there plan their vacation during race week and get as far away from St Clair county as they can.

Archived