This should be the end of it

BamaGrad03

Unless you guys want to start a thread about every coach doing it.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Nick Saban might be pushing an NCAA recruiting rule, but he apparently isn't the only one.

During a recent recruiting trip to Miami-Dade County, the coach who left the Dolphins to take over at Alabama reportedly violated a rule that limits contact with recruits. Several Palm Beach County high school players have since said that Saban had similar contact with them.

Star Jackson, a quarterback at Lake Worth, said he spoke with Saban for "a couple of minutes" during spring practice, and the comments Saban made to Jackson are similar to comments he allegedly made to the Miami-area players.

"He said I was their No. 1 quarterback on the board," Jackson said. "He just talked about his program."

Saban also spoke to Trojans offensive lineman Joe Looney, but Lake Worth coach Errick Lowe said he didn't realize that could be an NCAA violation.

"I know he came in wanting to get a look at those guys, probably about a two-minute deal with each one of them," Lowe said. "I didn't know he wasn't allowed to speak to any recruits or anything like that."

In 1994, the NCAA passed a rule that allows college coaches to attend high school football practices and games from April 15 to May 31, but does not allow them to approach athletes. If a recruit approaches a coach during that time, the rule states, the coach isn't allowed to have any discussion that's in "excess of an exchange of a greeting."

But, Lowe said, Saban is far from the only coach guilty of violating the rule.

"It's not just him - it's probably everybody in the country," Lowe said. "It's no secret everybody does it."

Atlantic safety Karnell Hatcher said Saban approached him in school a couple of weeks ago.

"He just wanted to introduce himself and say hi," Hatcher said.

Atlantic coach Andre Thaddies, who said he never spoke directly with Saban, defended the Alabama coach.

"Sixty coaches have been here," Thaddies said. "Why is everyone talking about Saban? Would this be an issue if he hadn't left the Dolphins like he did?"

South Fork coach Dennis Lavelle said that NCAA rules change frequently and most high school coaches wouldn't have even realized that was a violation.

Lavelle said "the majority of coaches" engage in conversation with recruits during spring practice.

"In the past, I'd get kids out of class for the coaches," Lavelle said. "The big thing is now all the schools are trying to get kids to commit early, and that's what's changed."

Pahokee receiver Martavious Odoms, one of the top prospects in the state, said coaches approach him frequently during spring practice, but that it's harmless conversation.

"They ask me what kind of program I'm looking for, and am I willing to leave the state of Florida," Odoms said. "Stuff like that."

Lowe laughed at the idea that coaches are basically supposed to ignore an athlete if that recruit approaches him.

"(Saban) came by the school, he didn't suggest to see any of our kids. We were talking and my kids were coming out of class and I introduced him to them," Lowe said. "If they bump into a player, are they supposed to turn their backs? If you want to follow the rules, I guess you'd have to turn your back, and then you'd lose a recruit.

"But if that's the NCAA rule, then I guess colleges need to adhere to it."

An Alabama spokesman said the school would look into it, but had no further comment.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said she couldn't comment on a "current, pending or potential investigation" so she wouldn't address the Saban situation specifically, but said that type of contact with recruits is a violation.

She said whether it's a secondary violation or a major violation depends on the frequency of the contact.

"Is it a pattern, is it happening a lot, is it intentional and does it represent a significant competitive advantage?" Osburn said. "That's the questions they would look at it, to see if it's major or secondary."

Bottom line, because it's Saban, people are making a big deal out of it. There's an article on rivals discussing a 20 minute sitdown Butch Davis had with a kid during the same "no contact" period.

There is also an article about Tommy Bowden speaking with 7 different recruits during the same no contact period.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Nick Saban might be pushing an NCAA recruiting rule, but he apparently isn't the only one.

During a recent recruiting trip to Miami-Dade County, the coach who left the Dolphins to take over at Alabama reportedly violated a rule that limits contact with recruits. Several Palm Beach County high school players have since said that Saban had similar contact with them.

Star Jackson, a quarterback at Lake Worth, said he spoke with Saban for "a couple of minutes" during spring practice, and the comments Saban made to Jackson are similar to comments he allegedly made to the Miami-area players.

"He said I was their No. 1 quarterback on the board," Jackson said. "He just talked about his program."

Saban also spoke to Trojans offensive lineman Joe Looney, but Lake Worth coach Errick Lowe said he didn't realize that could be an NCAA violation.

"I know he came in wanting to get a look at those guys, probably about a two-minute deal with each one of them," Lowe said. "I didn't know he wasn't allowed to speak to any recruits or anything like that."

In 1994, the NCAA passed a rule that allows college coaches to attend high school football practices and games from April 15 to May 31, but does not allow them to approach athletes. If a recruit approaches a coach during that time, the rule states, the coach isn't allowed to have any discussion that's in "excess of an exchange of a greeting."

"It's not just him - it's probably everybody in the country," Lowe said. "It's no secret everybody does it."

Atlantic safety Karnell Hatcher said Saban approached him in school a couple of weeks ago.

Atlantic coach Andre Thaddies, who said he never spoke directly with Saban, defended the Alabama coach.

"Sixty coaches have been here," Thaddies said. "Why is everyone talking about Saban? Would this be an issue if he hadn't left the Dolphins like he did?"

South Fork coach Dennis Lavelle said that NCAA rules change frequently and most high school coaches wouldn't have even realized that was a violation.

Lavelle said "the majority of coaches" engage in conversation with recruits during spring practice.

"In the past, I'd get kids out of class for the coaches," Lavelle said. "The big thing is now all the schools are trying to get kids to commit early, and that's what's changed."

Pahokee receiver Martavious Odoms, one of the top prospects in the state, said coaches approach him frequently during spring practice, but that it's harmless conversation.

"They ask me what kind of program I'm looking for, and am I willing to leave the state of Florida," Odoms said. "Stuff like that."

Lowe laughed at the idea that coaches are basically supposed to ignore an athlete if that recruit approaches him.

"(Saban) came by the school, he didn't suggest to see any of our kids. We were talking and my kids were coming out of class and I introduced him to them," Lowe said. "If they bump into a player, are they supposed to turn their backs? If you want to follow the rules, I guess you'd have to turn your back, and then you'd lose a recruit.

An Alabama spokesman said the school would look into it, but had no further comment.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said she couldn't comment on a "current, pending or potential investigation" so she wouldn't address the Saban situation specifically, but said that type of contact with recruits is a violation.

She said whether it's a secondary violation or a major violation depends on the frequency of the contact.

"Is it a pattern, is it happening a lot, is it intentional and does it represent a significant competitive advantage?" Osburn said. "That's the questions they would look at it, to see if it's major or secondary."

Bottom line, because it's Saban, people are making a big deal out of it. There's an article on rivals discussing a 20 minute sitdown Butch Davis had with a kid during the same "no contact" period.

There is also an article about Tommy Bowden speaking with 7 different recruits during the same no contact period.

urban meyer was in the locker room at the foley jamboree chit chatting with kids, especially with julio.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

And this article came from where?

Saturday, May 26, 2007

...here's a question for you bg. for the coach who is playing by the rules, what should he do?

1) start breaking the rules like all these other supposed coaches.

2) turn these rule breaking coaches into the ncaa.

3) do nothing.

I guess there's no need to follow rules if nobody else does. Did your parents or Sunday School teacher never teach you the Golden Rule? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?" Or is it ok for everybody to just do what they want?

the only place i've found that article is the Palm Beach Post, looks like a staff writer wrote it. i know, you were hoping it was from the tuscaloosa news so you could instantly label it as false and garbage. but then again, you probably will anyways.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont...saban_0526.html

the only place i've found that article is the Palm Beach Post, looks like a staff writer wrote it. i know, you were hoping it was from the tuscaloosa news so you could instantly label it as false and garbage. but then again, you probably will anyways.

wow...someone is defensive......

wow...someone is defensive......

no, just letting you know what is going to happen. if you read posts by GG, you and i both know thats the exact reason he asked where the article came from. so he could instantly flame it. it isn't negative about bama, so therefore, /dev/null/

CTT came to Pelham High School a couple of years ago to "meet" Montez Billings. She said that CTT had his back to Billings the whole time and talked to a middle man who passed things on between the two of them. Would that be violating the rule??? Since he was technically not conversing directly with him.

Everybody does it, $aban gets blasted for it. Yet when all others said Saban was crazy to continually diss the media, the followers of UAT kept insisting it didn't matter. "I think it's COOL!", etc.

Well, it matters. Others will skate, the media will report $aban. You Bammer fans need to get used to that idea, because you're going to be dealing with extreme media bias until the day, three or four years from now, when you fire $aban and settle on your next third or fourth choice as the Savior of the Tahd.

Next time, pick somebody that has enough sense to not piss off the newspaper guys.

Everybody does it, $aban gets blasted for it. Yet when all others said Saban was crazy to continually diss the media, the followers of UAT kept insisting it didn't matter. "I think it's COOL!", etc.

Well, it matters. Others will skate, the media will report $aban. You Bammer fans need to get used to that idea, because you're going to be dealing with extreme media bias until the day, three or four years from now, when you fire $aban and settle on your next third or fourth choice as the Savior of the Tahd.

Next time, pick somebody that has enough sense to not piss off the newspaper guys.

we know there is tons of media bias against CNS, especially in south florida. you just can't convince an auburn fan of that. thats the whole point of this particular thread. the whole basis of this story is taken off of a message board. we know that he is a lightning rod for media bias down there, and we keep saying they are making mountains out of molehills about it. by saying "others will skate" you acknowledge what everyone knows, that this sort of thing happens. WE understand that most media down there hates him. its everyone else who builds these stories up to be certain death for the bama football program who doesn't realize that, or simply refuses to realize it.

CTT came to Pelham High School a couple of years ago to "meet" Montez Billings. She said that CTT had his back to Billings the whole time and talked to a middle man who passed things on between the two of them. Would that be violating the rule??? Since he was technically not conversing directly with him.

we know there is tons of media bias against CNS, especially in south florida. you just can't convince an auburn fan of that. thats the whole point of this particular thread. the whole basis of this story is taken off of a message board. we know that he is a lightning rod for media bias down there, and we keep saying they are making mountains out of molehills about it. by saying "others will skate" you acknowledge what everyone knows, that this sort of thing happens. WE understand that most media down there hates him. its everyone else who builds these stories up to be certain death for the bama football program who doesn't realize that, or simply refuses to realize it.

It's not just in South Florida. Saban's made the media angry in Alabama, and nationally. He'll be reaping what he sewed, which is animosity. Things others will skate on, he'll get reported for. Not just in So. Florida, but everywhere.

"Never start a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel." Saban, and UAT by association, are in for a tough few years. Every error will be magnified and every minor violation blown way up.

Again, for all the Bammer fans that thought it didn't matter if Saban dissed the media, this is just the first installment, there's much more to come.

Hint: It doesn't matter how many others are running a stop-sign. If you are the one that gets a ticket, you'll pay.

It's not just in South Florida. Saban's made the media angry in Alabama, and nationally. He'll be reaping what he sewed, which is animosity. Things others will skate on, he'll get reported for. Not just in So. Florida, but everywhere.

"Never start a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel." Saban, and UAT by association, are in for a tough few years. Every error will be magnified and every minor violation blown way up.

Again, for all the Bammer fans that thought it didn't matter if Saban dissed the media, this is just the first installment, there's much more to come.

Hint: It doesn't matter how many others are running a stop-sign. If you are the one that gets a ticket, you'll pay.

Yes, but that isn't the point you all were trying to make the last 3 days with the 800 posts about it. You guys were trying to suggest that he is some out of the ordinary cheater. And these "violations" prove it.

Again, Jemarcus Russell and Memphis....The common denominator is.... Saban.

Whatever you say, Brutha Chette.

It goes on everywhere. There's no saint in college football. Like it or not.

You gotta link on Bro. Chette that proves cheating, or do you just crap on everyone with a thriving ministry?

Remember: John 15:19-21 (New International Version)

19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.'[a] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.

If you are a real Christian, you will understand this totally. I would be far more concerned if there was no one saying bad stuff about him.

http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/ip_templa...d=1128&pf=1

Auburn’s Chette Williams leading players on spiritual playing field

By Leigh Pritchett

August 21, 2003

If you’re a Jesus fan, you ought to be excited about this.” The speaker was Chette Williams. The excitement he reported was that 15 Auburn University football players were baptized last year after each asked Jesus Christ to come into his heart and be his Savior.

While speaking in a recent worship service at Twelfth Street Baptist Church in Gadsden, Williams, chaplain for the team, also noted that monthly meetings are bringing together players and coaches for the purpose of learning about Jesus.

When the meetings — which have the blessing of head Coach Tommy Tuberville — first started, 15 of those in attendance made decisions for Christ.

Williams, who is a former Auburn football player, returned to his alma mater in 1999 to serve as campus director of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and state director for the organization’s Urban Ministries. For four years, he has continued to share the gospel with Auburn’s athletes.

“My hope and dream is that every one of these kids, coaches and all who are involved in athletics will come to Christ,” Williams said.

Tuberville said Williams’ presence has made a difference in the team’s behavior and attitudes.

“They have a guidance counselor, so to speak, who is around them,” Tuberville said. “It is somebody that is around every day, somebody they can feel comfortable with, somebody they know they can trust.”

The road to that trust, and to being on staff at Auburn was not an easy or short one, as Williams shared with the Twelfth Street Baptist’s congregation, during a sermon on John the Baptist.

The pleasant, polished Williams spoke in stark contrast to the “angry, unhappy individual” he describes himself as being during his early years as a football player at Auburn — a past that allows him to relate to those 15 players.

It was the 1980s at the university, and Williams was a walk-on on the Auburn football team. Though he had grown up in church and had even been baptized, Williams had never asked Jesus to come into his heart.

Instead, his heart was filled with anger and his life with unhappiness. Another walk-on, Kyle Collins, tried to be nice to Williams, even though Williams was not receptive.

Again and again through the months that followed, Collins would tell Williams that Jesus loved him.

“I would run from Kyle Collins,” recalls Williams.

Truth is, Collins, who was FCA president at the time, had felt impressed to pray for Williams, despite the fact that others told him it would be a waste of time.

But after Williams had been at Auburn for two years, then-head football Coach Pat Dye told Williams he would have to leave the university. Listing a bad attitude among other grievances, Dye informed Williams that it just was not working out.

Williams found himself going to the dorm room of Collins, the one person on campus he most wanted to avoid.

He shared with Collins about his life. And suddenly, both men were on their knees in prayer in Collins’ room. Williams prayed, admitting his sin, and asked Jesus to come into his heart and be his Savior.

Williams recalls that he had gone into Collins’ room a sinner bound for hell. He left Collins’ room a sinner saved by the grace of God almighty through His Son, Jesus Christ.

After that time of prayer in Collins’ room, Williams earned his way back on the football team and went on to graduate from Auburn. He then earned a master of divinity from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

An ordained minister, Williams was pastor of New Covenant Baptist Church in New Orleans and was co-pastor of New Song Baptist Church in Mobile while in seminary. The married father of three is also the former president of IMPACT ministries, which is housed in South Carolina.

In 1999, Tuberville asked the former player to return to the university to become a full-time chaplain.

Williams pointed out he had been given the opportunity to go back to the place where he came to know Christ, so he could help show the way to others.

Showing the way to others is also what John the Baptist knew he was to do.

Frequently referring to John the Baptist as “ole J.B.,” Williams explained that this man, a contemporary of Christ, knew his role in life was to tell others about Jesus.

Though people sometimes asked John if he, himself, were the Christ for whom they were waiting, John knew it wasn’t his place to take credit or allow himself to be mistaken as the Savior. “It’s not about me,” Williams said, paraphrasing what John the Baptist proclaimed in the Bible. “I’m pointing you to the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords. I’m just the delivery boy.”

Williams emphasizes that each believer should be the conduit that takes the message about Jesus to others.

“John was used as a highway for Jesus to reach other people,” said Williams.

Often circumstances cause believers to feel like they can’t be effective in their calling to be a “highway.”

Yet God, with His power, can level the “mountains” in the life of a believer, fill the valleys and smooth the rough places, said Williams. “He can use you just like He did John the Baptist.”

Just as it was the duty of John the Baptist to announce the first coming of Jesus, Williams said, it is the job of believers to make sure others know Christ is coming again.

(Jennifer Davis Rash contributed)

I agree, Chette must just be a representative of the Devil. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=31;

Jesus and Beelzebub

22Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. 23All the people were astonished and said, "Could this be the Son of David?"

24But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub,[d] the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons."

25Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 26If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? 27And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

29"Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

33"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

And remind me again...when did LSU go on probation for recruiting violations?

And remind me again...when did LSU go on probation for recruiting violations?

Saban was in East Lansing during the Means sweepstakes. Russell = Luther Davis? Serious question for David, not smack.

You gotta link on Bro. Chette that proves cheating, or do you just crap on everyone with a thriving ministry?

Forgive me. I was just invoking the "if someone says it, it must be true" way of thinking. Ronnie Cottrell said it was only fair.

Honestly, I know nothing about the Chette guy. Preach on, Bro. Chette.

However, the point remains the same. All college football programs cheat. Some are better than others, some have friends in high places in Indianapolis, and some suck at it. They all do it in some form or fashion, though.

The question being asked by the NCAA is does a pattern exist. Does "inadvertent" and "accidental" contact occur between coaches and potential recruits during "dead periods"? YES.

If saban is unwise enough to do it in the one place where he is public enemy number one, then as a bammer fan you have to ask yourself what else has he or is he willing to do. I am not suggesting that he has. I'm suggesting that one must ask.

Unfortunately perception is reality, and the perception with this guy is getting worse.

Forgive me. I was just invoking the "if someone says it, it must be true" way of thinking. Ronnie Cottrell said it was only fair.

However, the point remains the same. All college football programs cheat. Some are better than others, some have friends in high places in Indianapolis, and some suck at it. They all do it in some form or fashion, though.

I love the hypocisy that you guys dish out. For DECADES bama got away with murder. Now they cant get away with it anymore like they used to do and they cry and moan like a bunch of teenage drama queens. Grow up! There was no program in the US cheating at a level higher than bama from 1929 until 1993. Read the Huie Article. Now they cant get away with it anymore and they are just beside themselves to actually have to compete with the rest of us. If we were so good at cheating and grade fixing would we have just lost two players to grades? I dont think so, but I am sure that EVERYTHING that has gone wrong in T-town since 1982 is all directly attributable to us...Yeah, right...I am sure it has nothing to do with just awful hires and stupid as hell coaches like Dubose and Shula. Face it bama fans, the worst done to you and your program were self inflicted wounds by those with room temp iqs.

Man, I cant wait for Sept and time to play ball.

I love the hypocisy that you guy dish out. For DECADES bama got away with murder. Now they cant get away with it anymore like they used to do and they cry and moan like a bunch of teenage drama queens. Grow up! There was no program in the US cheating at a level higher than bama from 1929 until 1993. Read the Huie Article. Now they cant get away with it anymore and they are just beside themselves to actually have to compete with the rest of us. If we were so good at cheating and grade fixing would we have just lost two players to grades? I dont think so, but I am sure that EVERYTHING that has gone wrong in T-town since 1982 is all directly attributable to us...Yeah, right...I am sure it has nothing to do with just awful hires and stupid as hell coaches like Dubose and Shula. Face it bama fans, the worst done to you and your program were self inflicted wounds by those with room temp iqs.

Man, I cant wait for Sept and time to play ball.

What's hypocritical about what I said? All programs bend the rules to some extent. Do you disagree? And, no, I'm not justifying any wrongdoing by anyone associated with UA.

The Huie article, wow. William B. Huie HATED the university with a passion. If you can hang on every word that he wrote in the Collier's TABLOID, then Michael Moore, too, has instant credibility. I don't listen to Moore to get an opinion on the GOP or Ann Coulter to learn about Democrats. Same idea applies here. Huie had entirely too much hate in his heart for any rational person to take him seriously.

Alabama was destroyed from within, and with a little help from genius Pat Dye. We were caught wearing old shoes when Auburn was being innovative. Honestly, we've just shed them in recent years. And, are still behind in the PR department in many respects. Awful coaching hires have been part of the problem, but not all of it. Auburn has little to do with pulling us off the mountaintop.

It IS a violation, because it was prearranged. It is really bending the rules since the encounter was not face to face. Despite what CT2 may think, you may not use a contact. Although it is only viewed a violation if the Miami herald thinks it's so. It DOES however prove the article BG released factual.

Archived