When Saban and Alabama split, it won’t be pretty

BZ770

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=56929

Here is my favorite line from this article.

This marriage in Alabama is headed for a messy divorce. It’s only a matter of time, and it’s not going to be pretty. :cheer:

When Saban and Alabama Split, It Won't Be Pretty

Without having coached a game at Alabama, new Crimson Tide football coach Nick Saban is the reigning king of the state.

Some day, however, he’s going to leave, and it’s not going to be a happy ending.

Last month, school trustees approved the eight-year, $32 million contract – the richest in college-football history – that Saban agreed to when he left the Miami Dolphins for Alabama in January.

The contract has plenty of perks, including a country club membership, two cars, a luxury box at Bryant-Denny Stadium and up to 25 hours of yearly flight time for personal travel in a noncommercial plane. (that's probably another $250K per year in perks)

Most importantly, the deal doesn’t include a buyout clause if he wants to leave early.

Here’s where the rubber hits the road. Over the years, Saban has bandied about from Michigan State to LSU to the Dolphins to Alabama. Each time, the highest bidder won.

In January, after repeated denials that he was Alabama-bound, Saban did, in fact, leave the Dolphins to take over the Crimson Tide. Sure, money talks. In Saban’s world, it screams.

Why the lack of a buyout clause? Because Saban wants the freedom to walk away from Alabama without having to pay even a dime as a token of appreciation. Isn’t love grand?

This brings to mind a typical Hollywood marriage in which two people starved for success come together in order to benefit their own careers.

They make a few movies, appear on Larry King Live and stroll arm-in-arm along the red carpets. Adoring fans snap photos. The paparazzi chases breathlessly.

You know, however, that it’s a marriage doomed for failure because it’s founded on the wrong things. Namely, it’s based purely on self-interest, and each person is merely a vehicle for the other in that pursuit.

Similarly, Nick Saban and Alabama make no pretenses about the nature of their marriage. Perhaps in that regard we should applaud them for their honesty.

This marriage in Alabama is headed for a messy divorce. It’s only a matter of time, and it’s not going to be pretty.

If Saban has some success at uat, this guy hit the nail on the head. I don't think he will have the success he saw at LSU, and therefore I don't see teams throwing gobs of money at him. Plus, it's going to be hard to find a school willing to chuck 4.5M to 5M at him, when most won't pay their coach 2M. The NFL definitely doesn't want him, and I'm sure UM and PSU have a pretty good pool to pull from when Carr and Paterno step down. This guy was definitely spot on about the marriage for self benefit. Saban sucked at Miami, uat sucks, but together they've been rejuvenated - at least temporarily.

If Saban has some success at uat, this guy hit the nail on the head. I don't think he will have the success he saw at LSU, and therefore I don't see teams throwing gobs of money at him. Plus, it's going to be hard to find a school willing to chuck 4.5M to 5M at him, when most won't pay their coach 2M. The NFL definitely doesn't want him, and I'm sure UM and PSU have a pretty good pool to pull from when Carr and Paterno step down. This guy was definitely spot on about the marriage for self benefit. Saban sucked at Miami, uat sucks, but together they've been rejuvenated - at least temporarily.

I am finding lots of holes in this logic... if you don't think that any school would pay him more than 5 mil a year in addition to the fact that the NFL may not want him back, then why would he leave???

Moreover, why would UM and PSU pull him a year or two from now, if you don't think he'll be successful at Alabama?? :blink: why would they want a coach that failed at a previous job?????

More talent available at the Big House and in Happy Valley.

More talent available at the Big House and in Happy Valley.

OK that justify his reasons to go there but still does not justify the school's reasons to acquire him.. "assuming of course he failed at Bama"

He's friggin Nick Saban. What school in their right mind wouldn't sell their soul to get him.

He's friggin Nick Saban. What school in their right mind wouldn't sell their soul to get him.

way to make an intelligent argument... :clap:

I am finding lots of holes in this logic... if you don't think that any school would pay him more than 5 mil a year in addition to the fact that the NFL may not want him back, then why would he leave???

Moreover, why would UM and PSU pull him a year or two from now, if you don't think he'll be successful at Alabama?? :blink: why would they want a coach that failed at a previous job?????

If Saban has some success at Alabama, then his stock will rise, people will want him. If he turns the program around quickly, that would be fairly impressive, and some other schools might be willing to buy him away from Tuscaloosa. If he's successful, the writer is dead on - Saban's outta there.

However, I don't think he'll have that quick success, or even be as successful as he was at LSU, therefore no one is going to throw any money at him. UM, PSU, etc, won't want him, much less want to pay him over 4M a year. My guess is that his NFL career is shot for at least 5 years or so, so he won't go there either.

If Saban has some success at Alabama, then his stock will rise, people will want him. If he turns the program around quickly, that would be fairly impressive, and some other schools might be willing to buy him away from Tuscaloosa. If he's successful, the writer is dead on - Saban's outta there.

However, I don't think he'll have that quick success, or even be as successful as he was at LSU, therefore no one is going to throw any money at him. UM, PSU, etc, won't want him, much less want to pay him over 4M a year. My guess is that his NFL career is shot for at least 5 years or so, so he won't go there either.

Wofford may have an opening in the next year or two.

If that actually happens and he leaves (or bolting) our program in the same state that he left the LSU program, I'll be the first one standing at the Mcfarland Blvd with a sign that says "Thank you Coach for everything"

I see your point here, regardless of what I or every other bama fan think, it's a valid possibility. But at least it defeats the argument "Saban will leave you guys no matter what.." - In regards to failing, I guess that's inevitable with every coach regardless of how money to put in. Either way, the program will be no worse than when Shula left.

There's always the possibility that Nick could try to leave town one step ahead of an NCAA investigation, in which case he might settle for less money elsewhere just to escape the rap.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Saban stay at Bama for many years...PROVIDED: he always comes up just short of big success yet still leaves the Bama faithful believing their umpteenth MNC is just around the corner. I'd like to see him there for five of the eight years of his contract, but always coming in between 7-5 and 9-3, and always losing to Auburn--sometimes narrowly to get their hopes up, sometimes embarrassingly. Let UAT pay him for five years of mediocrity, then fire him owing him $12 mill for the remaining three years of his contract.

The only thing that might be more fun would be to see the NCAA pointing their gun again! :big:

I don't think UM or PSU would over pay for a coach like Bama did. Expect PSU to promote an assistant ala Wisconsin and UM will go after Miles or Meyer when they finally get rid of Carr. The only team that I can think of that would over spend for him like Bama did is USC.

Archived