The filibuster

TexasTiger

The Senate Filibuster  

14 members have voted

1. 1. The Senate Filibuster

• It should take 60 votes in the Senate to force a vote on a bill.
    • It should not take 60 votes in the Senate to force a vote on a bill.

I have two questions for you.

1. Why should the dems want the rules to change?

2. What are they wanting to ramrod or sneak through that could be stopped by filibuster?

If I may, Tigermike:

1) It's the only way they can force their legislation through. The people sure don't want it.

2) Surrender is the biggie.

I have two questions for you.

1. Why should the dems want the rules to change?

2. What are they wanting to ramrod or sneak through that could be stopped by filibuster?

I haven't heard that they want to change the rules. A couple of years ago many Republicans wanted to change the rules on the filibuster.

Your question #2 is funny. "Ramrod" or "sneak"? They just want an "up or down" vote on legislation. Folks here have complained congress is doing nothing. The House has passed may bills that held up by Republicans in the Senate. A couple of years ago, that was called "obstructionist."

Here's my honest answer...when it's used to hold up legislation I think is bad, I think it's a wise rule. When it's used to hold up legislation I think is good and needed, I find it obstructionist. :yes:

I haven't heard that they want to change the rules. A couple of years ago many Republicans wanted to change the rules on the filibuster.

A couple of years ago the Senate was using the filibuster to block appointments, something not provided for in the consititution.

A couple of years ago the Senate was using the filibuster to block appointments, something not provided for in the consititution.

That is the direction I was going. The truth of the matter is the dems are convinced that they will not only win the White House in 2008 but increase their numbers in the Senate and HOR. Is there any doubt that situation would result in far leftists dems being appointed as judges and procreators? I'm not sure of the make up of the supreme court, but surely they have their eyes on an appointment or two.

Here's my honest answer...when it's used to hold up legislation I think is bad, I think it's a wise rule. When it's used to hold up legislation I think is good and needed, I find it obstructionist. :yes:

Honesty on the political forum! How refreshing! :big:

I think its funny that last congress the republicans were saying that the dems were screwing up the democratic process by filibustering to stop votes and such, and now that they dems are in control the republicans think it is a democratic thing again...and now the dems are against it. So bad on both sides.

I think its funny that last congress the republicans were saying that the dems were screwing up the democratic process by filibustering to stop votes and such, and now that they dems are in control the republicans think it is a democratic thing again...and now the dems are against it. So bad on both sides.

The situations are far from identical. The Dems haven't threatened the change the rules, just to make the Republicans defend their position.

The situations are far from identical. The Dems haven't threatened the change the rules, just to make the Republicans defend their position.

Wrong as usual TT.

Wrong as usual TT.

Wrong as alway, Mr. Factless.

So far its a dog and pony show. We wont really know how the dems will react until something comes up that they really want such as a judicial appointment.

Archived