AAFL chooses a coach

AU alum

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../SPORTS#comment

November 9, 2007

Sherrill set to become Bama AAFL coach

By Luke Brietzke

Special to the Advertiser

Former Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill is currently in negotiations to become the head coach for the Alabama All-American Football League organization.

Alabama team president Joe Cribbs confirmed Thursday that the team is working out final details of a contract.

Cribbs, a former Auburn tailback, also said there will be a news conference during the middle of next week -- likely Tuesday, but details might push it back until Wednesday.

Sherrill coached at Mississippi State from 1991-2003. Before taking that post, he coached at Texas A&M, Pittsburgh and Washington State. Sherrill has 180 career wins as a head coach in college football.

Sherrill played under Bear Bryant at Alabama from 1962-65. He won two national championships while playing for the Crimson Tide.

Cribbs said another prominent Alabama player during the Bryant era, offensive lineman John Hannah, is on the team's advisory board. Former Alabama quarterback Ken Stabler will join Hannah on the board.

The AAFL has signed several former college stars, including Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch, Florida's Chris Leak and Florida State's Peter Warrick.

Cribbs said that there are some in-state players the Alabama team is keeping a close watch on that he hopes to sign after their seasons are over.

"We're looking for familiar names who are seniors and will have college degrees so they are eligible to play in our league in April," Cribbs said. "They can play a full schedule with us and still be available to the NFL. That's what's so unique about our league."

Cribbs didn't mention any players by names, just saying that he would like good name recognition on his team.

If the front office is any indication, name recognition shouldn't be a problem. The AAFL will hold its first draft in January and teams are allowed to protect as many players from their state as they wish. Players must have received a college degree to be eligible to play in the AAFL.

Alabama, which will play its home games at Birmingham's Legion Field, opens the 10-game schedule April 12 at Florida.

The team's home opener is April 19 against Texas.

Six teams currently make up the AAFL -- teams based in Alabama, Florida, Texas, Michigan, Arkansas and Tennessee.

What is Joe Cribbs doing with all these Bama players/former Bama players? John Hannah, Kenny Stabler, Jackie Sherrill....Yeah, yeah. I know other players were mentioned, but the majority will be from UAT. No question there.

Mr. Cribbs, all I can say is I'm disappointed in you.

Don't quit your day job cause in two years or less you will need it.

Hiring Cribbs was a damage control move to try and please the Auburn side.

Too late, too bad, they have screwed up and know it.

AAFL , All Alabama and Florida Losers

Guest BoStillKnows

All of the bulls in Alabama are standing in fields with their legs crossed and holding the family jewels :o

How low with this league go?

allabubba "football" will make it one season...if they are lucky.

How sad is this team going to be w/Jackie Sherrill coaching them?

He may turn out to be a good coach now that he can't get in trouble for recruiting.

I understand ya'll don't like the idea. I'd be interested in seeing the team play though. I think the overall idea is a good one that can survive.

I don't agree however with alienating the Auburn fans by the way they set up the Alabama Team. For this team to survive they need to make it more nuetral. How bout since they are playing at Legion field make the color Green and Gold and take players from both teams.

Archived