Alabama 2007=Auburn 2001?

DKW 86

Back in 2001 AU had a pretty good season going. We had beaten an very highly ranked :uf: We had a tough follow up game with La Tech going to OT. After that the wheels fell off. We finished by losing in a rout to Fran and bama 31-7 in the Iron Bowl. We lost two coordinators as well.

Bama 2007, IMHO, looks just like that team. They had a huge win, for them, over :ut: They had :lsu: in their sites and lost. After that, they have reeled off 3 losses in a row. The wheels seem to have come off as well. If I was Applewhite and/or Pendry, I would have my bags packed too.

What will happen in the Iron Bowl? I am not betting on anything. Turnovers will likely be the key to the game. Whichever of these two teams turns it over least wins. Simple as that. I believe that :au: will keep the ball on the ground and gut out a win. Bama will be playing for pride and they are a pass first, pass second, pass third team. They really have an almost ignorable rushing game.

So summation, if :au: keeps this on the ground and pounds the Bama D all night long they should win. Bama must pass and that takes time to accomplish. CWM knows this and I bet AU rushes and blitzes all day long. This could be "Mullet Toss II." Passing also leads to INTS as well. If Bama gets their passing game going it could be interesting. But my money is on THE FIRST BIG PLAY wins the game. If :au: gets a huge run or a sack, if bama gets a long td pass, whoever gets the turnover first will likely win the game as the other team may just pack it in.

I think all this favors my Tigers.

Back in 2001 AU had a pretty good season going. We had beaten an very highly ranked :uf: We had a tough follow up game with La Tech going to OT. After that the wheels fell off. We finished by losing in a rout to Fran and bama 31-7 in the Iron Bowl. We lost two coordinators as well.

Bama 2007, IMHO, looks just like that team. They had a huge win, for them, over :ut: They had :lsu: in their sites and lost. After that, they have reeled off 3 losses in a row. The wheels seem to have come off as well. If I was Applewhite and/or Pendry, I would have my bags packed too.

What will happen in the Iron Bowl? I am not betting on anything. Turnovers will likely be the key to the game. Whichever of these two teams turns it over least wins. Simple as that. I believe that :au: will keep the ball on the ground and gut out a win. Bama will be playing for pride and they are a pass first, pass second, pass third team. They really have an almost ignorable rushing game.

So summation, if :au: keeps this on the ground and pounds the Bama D all night long they should win. Bama must pass and that takes time to accomplish. CWM knows this and I bet AU rushes and blitzes all day long. This could be "Mullet Toss II." Passing also leads to INTS as well. If Bama gets their passing game going it could be interesting. But my money is on THE FIRST BIG PLAY wins the game. If :au: gets a huge run or a sack, if bama gets a long td pass, whoever gets the turnover first will likely win the game as the other team may just pack it in.

I think all this favors my Tigers.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, except the other way around. We were 6-5 that year coming in and won 31-7. I think it might happen again.

The cause of the Iron Bowl melt down of 2001 was similar to what rumors we have heard coming out of Bama in two thousand and $aban (2007). I doubt it goes to the violent extreme of 2001, but I see little to motivate Bama going into this game. We should win handily if we play as we are capable of playing and if Cox has his head straight.

I just hope that our defensive backs look back for the ball in this one.

Archived