Iraq � Did You Know??????

Jenny AU-92

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.

2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!

6. Isaac’s wife Rebekah is from Nahor which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel.

10. Amos cried out in Iraq!

11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion’s den in Iraq!

13. The 3 Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (that’s good news to know that JESUS has been in Iraq as the 4th person in the fiery furnace!).

14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the “writing on the wall” in Iraq (which hopefully Saddam will, too!)

15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq.

18. Peter preached in Iraq.

19. The “Empire of Man” described in Revelation is called Babylon which was a city in Iraq!

And you have probably seen this one. Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq!

However, that is not the name that is used in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia. The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. The name Iraq means country with deep roots. Indeed, Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very significant country in the Bible. Here’s why.

* Eden was in Iraq—Genesis 2:10-14

* Adam & Eve were created in Iraq—Genesis 2:7-8

* Satan made his first recorded appearance in Iraq—Genesis 3:1-6

* Nimrod established Babylon & Tower of Babel was built in Iraq— Genesis

10:8-97 & 11:1-4

* The confusion of the languages took place in Iraq—Genesis 11:5-11

* Abraham came from a city in Iraq—Genesis 11:31 & Acts 7:2-4

* Isaac’s bride came from Iraq—Genesis 24:3-4 & 10

* Jacob spent 20 years in Iraq—Genesis 27:42-45 & 31:38

* The first world Empire was in Iraq—Daniel 1:1-2 &2:36-38

* The greatest revival in history was in a city in Iraq—Jonah 3

* The events of the book of Esther took place in Iraq—Esther

* The book of Nahum was a prophecy against a city in Iraq—Nahum

* The book or Revelation has prophecies against Babylon, which was the old name for the nation of Iraq—Revelation 17 & 18

No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy associated with it

than Iraq.

Amazing how a nation or region can decline and in no way resemble its former self. Very interesting info Jenny, Thanks!

A very good book to explain the reason that civilization began in this part of the world is Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societiesby Jared Diamond. He points out that geography was the driving factor for the human species. If I remember correctly, 7 of the top 10 domesticated plants originated in the fertile crescent area of the eastern Med. The peoples that lived in this part of the world had a huge advantage over the rest of the world, in that they developed farming, and moved away from the hunter/gatherer society thousands of years before everyone else. Once they could easily grow their own food, they then had time to begin developing signs of civilization, such as advanced tools and writing. These societies then spread east and west to similar geographical environments with their domesticated plants and animals. The societies that then developed in Europe grew and spread across the Atlantic; but the ones that developed in Asia had much more land to satisfy their needs, and a much larger ocean to cross. Therefore, the Asian societies did not gain from the interaction with other societies and became more closed and self-supporting. With the north/south orientations of Africa and the American continents (reducing migration), and the lack of domesticable plants, those other early societies never had a chance. And then as we all know, the germs that developed in the European societies living near domesticated animals wiped out most of those societes.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and helped explain things I had always wondered about as a kid, 'why did the European culture become so dominant?'

The plague was one, and I believe there were other numerous viruses that developed from the close human and domestic animal interaction in the ancient societies. I couldn't tell you the name of them off-hand, it has been a few years since I read this particular book, and many more since I was in a Western Civ class...

Since the civilizations in the western hemishpere had a completely different set of animals that were domesticated, and not as many, they were not exposed to these viruses gradually, as the eastern civilizations were.

Archived