IRS spending $42 million on rebate reminders

RunInRed

My goodness...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- At a cost of nearly $42 million, the IRS wants you to know: Your check is almost in the mail.

The Internal Revenue Service is spending the money on letters to alert taxpayers to expect rebate checks as part of the economic stimulus plan.

The notices are going out this month to an estimated 130 million households who filed returns for the 2006 tax year, at a cost $41.8 million, IRS spokesman John Lipold confirmed.

That works out to about 32 cents to print, process and mail each letter. It doesn't include the tab for another round of mailings planned for those who didn't file tax returns last year but may still qualify for a rebate.

Democrats accused the Bush administration of wasting time and postage.

"There are countless better uses for $42 million than a self-congratulatory mailer that gives the president a pat on the back for an idea that wasn't even his," Sen. Charles Schumer said Friday, arguing the IRS could more effectively spend the money to catch tax cheats.

Just mail the checks. If they would hurry, I'd have more to pay the IRS with. B)

Screw the IRS. Pass the Fair Tax and we wouldn't have dims using the tax code as a weapon any longer.

you'd be surprised at how many people are unaware that they'll be getting this check in the mail. then, when they found out, they (almost) react like they won a prize.

Screw the IRS. Pass the Fair Tax and we wouldn't have dims using the tax code as a weapon any longer.

ALL politicians use the current tax code for political purposes. Not just the Democrats.

ALL politicians use the current tax code for political purposes. Not just the Democrats.

Then why is it that ONLY republicans are proposing this?

Yeah, whoopty doo. They are giving me my own money back, with no interest.

It is billed as an "economic stimulus" but the reality is that most people are just going to get that check and then pay down a credit card. It is not going to have much economic impact, I'm afraid.

We should all be outraged that the IRS has so much "free money" that they can give us rebates of our own money in the first place. How about my money plus a little interest?

Dear Taxpayer:

Congratulations! We are going to send you a refund check on X-date for X-amount of your own money! You're a WINNER!

Yeah, whoopty doo. They are giving me my own money back, with no interest.

It is billed as an "economic stimulus" but the reality is that most people are just going to get that check and then pay down a credit card. It is not going to have much economic impact, I'm afraid.

We should all be outraged that the IRS has so much "free money" that they can give us rebates of our own money in the first place. How about my money plus a little interest?

Dear Taxpayer:

Congratulations! We are going to send you a refund check on X-date for X-amount of your own money! You're a WINNER!

Most people will pay down a credit card? - Doubtful

IRS has so much money? - Have you heard about the deficit spending that's been going on lately?

There is a democrat co-sponsor of the House bill.

If the Republicans want this bill so badly, why hasn't the bill moved?

IRS has so much money? - Have you heard about the deficit spending that's been going on lately?

My point is...

How am I getting a rebate? If the government can afford to give me that money, then that means they didn't need it in the first place. So why did they take it from me only to turn around and give it back when there's an election coming up?

That's a slap in the face and an insult to my intelligence if you ask me.

How about instead of giving me a rebate, just don't take the money from me in the first place?

My point is...

How am I getting a rebate? If the government can afford to give me that money, then that means they didn't need it in the first place. So why did they take it from me only to turn around and give it back when there's an election coming up?

That's a slap in the face and an insult to my intelligence if you ask me.

How about instead of giving me a rebate, just don't take the money from me in the first place?

They can't afford to give it to you. There is not money in the budget for this. We will most likely run another budget deficit this year....there seems to be a lack of communication here.

Who controls the HOR? Who decides which bills move and which ever make it out of committee?

Do the Republicans have enough to force a move or force it out of committee?

Who controls the HOR? Who decides which bills move and which ever make it out of committee?

Committees usually have to have an ok from the Ranking Member before anything gets put on a markup agenda.

There are 24 Democrats and 17 Republicans on the Committee, including Rep. Linder who sponsored the bill. Trust me, there is no victims here. If all the Republicans really were on board with this, then it would be on a markup and given a fair vote in Committee. It's being held b/c no one really wants to see their political power disappear with changing the tax code.

Committees usually have to have an ok from the Ranking Member before anything gets put on a markup agenda.

There are 24 Democrats and 17 Republicans on the Committee, including Rep. Linder who sponsored the bill. Trust me, there is no victims here. If all the Republicans really were on board with this, then it would be on a markup and given a fair vote in Committee. It's being held b/c no one really wants to see their political power disappear with changing the tax code.

Agreed there is a lot of BS on both sides in an election year.

When you say "the Ranking Member" actually pulls the plugs, that would be the Ranking Member of the controlling party wouldn't it?

Agreed there is a lot of BS on both sides in an election year.

When you say "the Ranking Member" actually pulls the plugs, that would be the Ranking Member of the controlling party wouldn't it?

No the Chairman is from the majority. The Ranking Member is from the minority.

Generally, both have to sign off on hearings and markup agendas.

Both the Chairman and the Ranking Member have Committee staff. So when you call a Committee for a complaint, question, etc. The switchboard puts you in touch with the Chairman's staff, but you can ask for the Ranking Member or Minority staff.

My point with all of this info is that if the Republicans wanted this so badly they would push the Ranking Member into demanding it. Once the demand is made, it is up to the Chairman to accept or decline. In situations like this, there is usually a trade (we will put that on the agenda, if you agree to this hearing or agree to put some other thing also on the agenda).

• 2 weeks later...

I could give a crap less about the reminder(and yes I think it was a waste to send out reminders). I just want my check.

Got mine in the mail this weekend...what a waste of money.

Step up. Be a leader. GIVE YOUR CHECK BACK!

Archived