AU Nation Charitable Giving Survey

RunInRed

18 members have voted

1. 1. How much of your gross income do you give to charity each year?

• 0%
    • 1% - 3%
    • 3% - 5%
    • 5% - 10%
    • 10% or more
  2. 2. Do you consider yourself:

• Very Conservative
    • Conservative
    • Right Wing Moderate
    • Moderate
    • Left Wing Moderate
    • Liberal
    • Very Liberal

Just for this thread.

Kim and I give generously in time and money to our church. We also support the American Red Cross, The Nature Conservancy, National Parks Conservational Society, World Wildlife Fund, and other charities.

You will never see our cars covered with all the stickers that these orgs send out. We just arent that way, Again, sharing this just for this thread.

We give to the university more than anything, but I also give to the Red Cross, the wildlife federation, and a couple other areas in smaller amounts. Auburn get's the bulk of it.

I am like David and apprehensive to share about my charity contributions. I don't even worry about the tax breaks I get from them. For those that publish a list of donors, we ask to be included in the anonymous category or we give in honor or memory of somebody else. However, for this thread only, I am willing to mention some of the donations I make so that it may give some others ideas to donate to them also. I will not discuss how much I give though, because that is between me, the charities, and God.

Some of the smaller donations I make every now and then is to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and local rescue missions. Every few months, I give some money to the local Meals on Wheels program, local Hospice program, and pet adoption agencies.

The more regular charities I support is the neonatal unit at Huntsville Hospital and various air and space musuems (Space and Rocket Center and the Smithsonian Air & Space Musuem to name a couple). I also support my best friend's missionary work either financially or sending him things such that are hard to get in the jungles and mountains of Central America for his family or the local people such as over the counter medicines, clothes for his kids and the local kids, writing utensils, software for his laptop, Bibles, personal hygiene stuff, and every now and then some decent coffee.

One of the things that I really enjoy participating in and is kind of very personal for me is sending packages to our troops overseas. I encourage as many people as possible to at least do this once. For those that have served overseas, especially in remote area, you know how nice it is to receive care packages from home.

For the sake of argument and for this thread, I will give you a list of charities that I donate too. Now I will not give a monetary amount b/c I don't believe that is anyones business other than God's. As the bible says in Matt 6:3-4, 3. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4. so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Before I tell you what charities that I give to, I will also say there are a lot of times that I don't get a receipt b/c I don't care if I get to count it off or not. That is not the reason for giving to a charity. You give to charity b/c we are supposed to be good stewards, help and serve others.

First and the most important, Leslie and I give money and time to our Church. I don't know if you consider this charity or not, I think I have asked you before but can't remember where you stand on it. I agree with Dave Ramsey on this one. Before you pay your first bill or make your fist payment, you set aside that portion that is rightly God's to begin with, so that it may be used to do his will and further the borders of his kingdom.

Some other charities include: Habitat for Humanity, United Way, Focal Child (This is a child that we sponsor every year at work for Christmas). Angel Tree, Make-A-Wish, and Victory Junction Camp. Auburn University and the elementary school where my wife teaches. I don't if this one would count, but I guess it would since we spend some money on it and we spend our time shipping it off, but my wife's 4th grade glass does gift packs for our soldiers. There are some other one time charities that pop up every year, but that is about all I can think of. Most of the charities that Leslie and I give to, are every now and then donations, spread throughout the year, but the church is a weekly thing.

If anyone out there is interested in giving to a good charity I would strongly recommend Victory Junction Camp. If you don't know, this is a camp that is located in NC for terminally ill children that was founded by the Petty Family (NASCAR). You can donate anything from, money, gift cards, to paper napkins and sunscreen. They have a list at their website (http://www.victoryjunction.org/aa_help/help01.html). It is really a great charity to let those kids that don't have much time left on earth to have a little fun.

As AUTiger1 said "For the sake of argument and for this thread, I will give you a list of charities that I donate too. Now I will not give a monetary amount b/c I don't believe that is anyones business other than God's."

My church

Salvation Army

Auburn University

Jimmy Hale Mission

2 Hospice Foundations

DAV - Disabled American Veterans

Make-A-Wish

Hannah Home

American Cancer Society

As AUTiger1 said "For the sake of argument and for this thread, I will give you a list of charities that I donate too. Now I will not give a monetary amount b/c I don't believe that is anyones business other than God's."

My church

Salvation Army

Auburn University

Jimmy Hale Mission

2 Hospice Foundations

DAV - Disabled American Veterans

Make-A-Wish

Hannah Home

American Cancer Society

We have something like the Hanna Home that is close to here. It's called the Freedom House. It is a home for abused wives. My wife donates clothes there and our church sponsors it by collecting hygiene products and what not. I didn't realize that was part of the King's Ranch. Interesting.

Archived