Interesting story about how Richt became a football coach

SouthLink02

As far as getting into coaching: I tried to play pro ball, got cut by the Denver Broncos within a week's time. And then I tried to be a life insurance agent, and my boss got thrown in jail. So I quit that. I tried to sell memberships in a club, and the boss fired me for not being productive enough.

I started valeting cars. Got in real good shape, thought I could play ball again. Tried out for the Dolphins. Got cut real fast again.

And then I needed a job. I look in the newspaper and found a job as a bartender. Got fired about the second week of being a bartender. The guy who fired me, he told me to stick around at 2 a.m., he had a job for me. I started cleaning the bar after everybody left., from 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. After I got really desperate doing that, after a week or two, I thought, there's gotta be something I can do with my skill set.

I said, I know. I'll be a coach.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...rce=ivan_maisel

Also

Tuberville: When I graduated from college, I went into high school and kind of worked my way up. I was fortunate to be around a lot of good people and other coaches. I tried to learn as much as I possibly could. There's always luck involved in some of it. But it's like any profession. You got to go out and do it, keep doing it, don't take no for an answer and try to make a positive attitude out of everything you do.

Bowden always used to say at Florida State, 'If you don't like the job you're in, and you want a better one, apply enthusiasm to the one you have.' A lot of times people want to bitch about the job they got. They want this other job. In the meantime, they're not going to do a very good job where they are. When people see you doing a good job, you get a chance to move up.

Lots of truth in that statement.

Very informative article, SL. Thanks for posting it!

Sounds like he should be glad he is at UGA as opposed to the unemployment lines and soup kitchens. :blink:

Archived