Slive goal: No SEC probations in five years

quietfan

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2008/07/sec_ta...rry_auburn.html

Anyway, Slive says he almost reached his Five Year Plan of not having a single SEC program on probation. Only the Arkansas track team is on probation today. Should we send them to the gulag or continue to meet Slive's self-fulfilling prophecy?

``We have tackled the infractions' problem head on,'' Slive said. ``In six years, we have made extraordinary progress.''

Any bets on whether he'll make it? Or alternatively, bets on who gets in the NCAA doghouse next and blows his plan? :rolleyes:

Anyway, Slive says he almost reached his Five Year Plan of not having a single SEC program on probation. Only the Arkansas track team is on probation today. Should we send them to the gulag or continue to meet Slive's self-fulfilling prophecy?

``We have tackled the infractions' problem head on,'' Slive said. ``In six years, we have made extraordinary progress.''

Any bets on whether he'll make it? Or alternatively, bets on who gets in the NCAA doghouse next and blows his plan? :rolleyes:

I bet bama is next.

I bet bama is next.

I bet you're wrong. Keep dreaming.---wow, I'm shocked. I thought you would be the first to agree.

I bet bama is next.

I bet you're wrong. Keep dreaming.

As long as Kirby Smart keeps his damn nose out of our business, you don't have to worry about UGA turning you in for anything

If he doesn't though.....

I've heard that UGA and a few other Universities, not all in the SEC, have turned uat in, these past two years. As for the teams in the SEC, I've heard that they took, whatever it was, straight to the NCAA....knowing that Slive has a pretty big broom.

The rumors that we turned in Bama were incorrect

We did in fact have problems with Bama last recruiting year and the year before but neither time were to the extent of turning them in and 2 years ago it was just more of an argument than Bama doing anything illegal.

Kirby Smart is the reason for the skirmish last recruiting period between us

I bet bama is next.

I concur

I've heard that UGA and a few other Universities, not all in the SEC, have turned uat in, these past two years. As for the teams in the SEC, I've heard that they took, whatever it was, straight to the NCAA....knowing that Slive has a pretty big broom.

what did we tell you about using BOL as your "inside info"???

I have a question--just the personal opinions of everyone (and not specifically related to Bama or any other particular school):

On the one hand, most of us are taught since grade school not to be "tattletales"; yet as citizens, we have a duty to report crime when we see it.

What is your view of schools reporting other schools for NCAA violations? Obviously we're usually not talking about actual criminal behavior in the legal sense (although Logan Young was convicted of federal charges), but is it right to overlook football violations if they occur? My personal opinion is that any and all NCAA violations should be reported, but I do know the reporter will be considered a "rat" by many. Basically I'm of the opinion that if you "do the crime", you've got no beef when someone turns you in.

Obviously, this has been of particular interest in the Fulmer/Bama situation. Many (not all) Bama fans seem more angry at Phil Fulmer for turning them in than at Logan Young, et al, for doing the deed(s). I do understand that part of the controversy in that case (valid or not) is the issue of "secret witnesses" and "due process" in general in the NCAA, but I'm just curious abour your views of reporting in general.

Also, does the NCAA have a policy on failure to report known violations, i.e., can a school get in trouble for knowing and not reporting (in a sense, covering up) a rivals' violations?

Jim Donnan said that there was a 55mph limit on recruiting. He went further and said that Bama was "doing 70 in a 55 zone" with Means. IOW, they were sssooo over the top they were asking to be turned in.

Now, I will get two responses: 1) "Everybody does it...' 2) "We never cheated..."

But the bottomline is that there is a gentleman's agreement about some level of bending the rules. It is only when there is some outrageous difference that people will risk the wrath of others by turning them in.

I have a question--just the personal opinions of everyone (and not specifically related to Bama or any other particular school):

On the one hand, most of us are taught since grade school not to be "tattletales"; yet as citizens, we have a duty to report crime when we see it.

What is your view of schools reporting other schools for NCAA violations? Obviously we're usually not talking about actual criminal behavior in the legal sense (although Logan Young was convicted of federal charges), but is it right to overlook football violations if they occur? My personal opinion is that any and all NCAA violations should be reported, but I do know the reporter will be considered a "rat" by many. Basically I'm of the opinion that if you "do the crime", you've got no beef when someone turns you in.

Obviously, this has been of particular interest in the Fulmer/Bama situation. Many (not all) Bama fans seem more angry at Phil Fulmer for turning them in than at Logan Young, et al, for doing the deed(s). I do understand that part of the controversy in that case (valid or not) is the issue of "secret witnesses" and "due process" in general in the NCAA, but I'm just curious abour your views of reporting in general.

Also, does the NCAA have a policy on failure to report known violations, i.e., can a school get in trouble for knowing and not reporting (in a sense, covering up) a rivals' violations?

The main issue is the NCAA just doesn't have the staff to "police" the enforcement of the rules they establish. They depend a lot on the individual schools and the conferences for compliance. If only one school tells the NCAA about a possible violation, then I would imagine that's not necessarily going to get their attention. It would take multiple instances for the NCAA to cross reference their information on which to act. That's what happened with the Albert Means fiasco -- the issue was egregious & so blatant it just couldn't be ignored. As for you question regarding a school "failing to report a known violation" ... ... forget about it. The NCAA has a hard enough time proving overt violations by the schools. No way could they now start attempting to punish schools for not reporting violations.

I don't see the "tattletale" label as being prohibitive of one school telling on another. They are in competition with one another. How honorable is it to turn a blind eye towards reporting wrongdoing by a rival school which may give them an advantage over yours?

Re: the bammies are upset with Phil Fulmer. Well, why shouldn't they be? Fulmer upset their apple cart and wouldn't allow them to cheat with impugnity. How are they supposed to climb back to their "rightful place in cfb" on an even playing field? :lol:

Most people hate UT because they got away with cheating, and we got caught. There was a paper trail leading to Tee Martin from a UT booster in Mobile where she would send him 100 dollar money orders, yet noting ever came of it.

It's sort of like, yeah, we got caught, but look at all these other people doing wrong stuff, yet we are the one's to get into trouble. Most think that UT got off because they helped the NCAA nail UA, and as a reward, kinda, they got off scott free. Not that I think that's exactly how it went down, but I do think there is a bit of truth to that.

Most people hate UT because they got away with cheating, and we got caught. There was a paper trail leading to Tee Martin from a UT booster in Mobile where she would send him 100 dollar money orders, yet noting ever came of it.

It's sort of like, yeah, we got caught, but look at all these other people doing wrong stuff, yet we are the one's to get into trouble. Most think that UT got off because they helped the NCAA nail UA, and as a reward, kinda, they got off scott free. Not that I think that's exactly how it went down, but I do think there is a bit of truth to that.

bama did it for many years without getting caught so don't whine. Start with the 1942 Collier's Magazine articles by William Bradfore Huie (Ithink they are in the WEN archives). The bear cheated forever (Maryland, Texas A&M, and Kentucky before bama) but was untouchable at bama

How is what Fulmer and UT did to UAT any worse than being complicit in a tape

weilding player at AU all the while cheating themselves? :poke:

My personal view is that for minor violations or even 1st time major violations, coaches should contact the schools and let them know OR try to hammer it out amongst themselves.

If that doesn't work and the cheating continues, I have ZERO problem with the coaches turning others in

IMO, every school has blood on their hands so people should be careful about turning others in as many of the same schools recruited players on these teams

Speaking for the AU Family: "Cry us a river...."

Archived