Starting Players and their Stars

autiger4life

A lot is being made lately about players stars and such. I got to wondering, what our line-up looks like when it comes to stars. Which made me wonder, if we had four years of our current recruiting class of 2008, would we be able to field the same team when it came to stars? I know this doesn't matter to anyone who puts more in coaches than they do the star system, but since so much is being made out of stars, I figured I would look into it. Keep in mind this team is predicted to win the West this year.

On a side note: The depth chart and star rankings came from Rivals.com. I only made one change and that was putting Chris Evans as a starter over Merrill Johnson. I also added alternate players who will see a lot of playing time and so they deserve to be in the discussion.

Offense

QB: One: 4 stars(Kodi Burns)

TB: One: 3 stars(Brad Lester)

WR:One 4 Star(Tim Hawthorne) Two: 2 stars(Rod Smith and James Swinton) One: No stars(Robert Dunn)

OL: Two: 4 stars(Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh) One: 3 star(Byron Isom) Two 2 stars(Jason Bosley and Tyrone Greene who is a good NFL prospect)

People who will play a lot: Three: 4 stars(Mario Fannin, Tommy Trott, Ben Tate) One: 3 Star(Chris Todd)

Total Offensive Tally of Starting Players

5 stars

4 stars

4+2 alternate players

3 stars

2+1(alternate player)

2 stars

No stars

Defense

DL: Two: 4 stars(Jake Ricks and Michael Goggans) One: 3 star(Antonio Coleman; NFL prospect) One: 2 star(Sen'Derrick Marks; NFL prospect)

LB: One: 5 star(Tray Blackmon) One: 4 star(Craig Stevens) One 2 star(Chris Evans)

DB:One: 4 star(Mike McNeil) Three 3 stars(Jarraud Powers, Zac Etheridge, Aairon Savage)

People who will play a lot: One: 3 star(Walter McFadden) One: 2 star (Merrill Johnson)

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

4+1(alternate)

2 stars

2+1(Alternate)

No stars

Special Teams

Kicker: One: 3 star(Wes Byrum)

Punter: One: 2 star(Ryan Shoemaker)

Kick Return: One: 3 star(Tristain Davis)

Long Snapper: One: 0 stars(Robert Shiver)

So total, to fill all 22 positions on offense and defense, and then 3 positions on special teams(KR would be done by a RB if need be) we need this many stars to keep the same "quality" of player(if you buy into stars)

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

So if we had the recruiting class of 2008 which got "crushed" by Bama, for four years, we would have this:

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

That equals 92 players, which is over the Scholly limit, but we obviously wouldn't have kept everyone. Note: Jermaine Johnson, Freddie Smooth, Brandon Smith, Ken Adams and Reggie Hunt were not included.

So what this means is that a team picked to win the West, ranked in the top 10 by some and top 15 by most(and 7th by Rivals) is able to field a team without having mostly 4 and 5 star players. If our recruiting continues the exact same way it was in 2008 and is shaping up for 2009, then we should be more than fine. Oh yeah, and two of our best prospects(Tyronne Greene and Sen'Derrick Marks) were both 2 star players.

Hope ya'll enjoyed.

A lot is being made lately about players stars and such. I got to wondering, what our line-up looks like when it comes to stars. Which made me wonder, if we had four years of our current recruiting class of 2008, would we be able to field the same team when it came to stars? I know this doesn't matter to anyone who puts more in coaches than they do the star system, but since so much is being made out of stars, I figured I would look into it. Keep in mind this team is predicted to win the West this year.

On a side note: The depth chart and star rankings came from Rivals.com. I only made one change and that was putting Chris Evans as a starter over Merrill Johnson. I also added alternate players who will see a lot of playing time and so they deserve to be in the discussion.

Offense

WR:One 4 Star(Tim Hawthorne) Two: 2 stars(Rod Smith and James Swinton) One: No stars(Robert Dunn)

OL: Two: 4 stars(Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh) One: 3 star(Byron Isom) Two 2 stars(Jason Bosley and Tyrone Greene who is a good NFL prospect)

People who will play a lot: Three: 4 stars(Mario Fannin, Tommy Trott, Ben Tate) One: 3 Star(Chris Todd)

5 stars

4 stars

4+2 alternate players

3 stars

2+1(alternate player)

2 stars

No stars

Defense

DL: Two: 4 stars(Jake Ricks and Michael Goggans) One: 3 star(Antonio Coleman; NFL prospect) One: 2 star(Sen'Derrick Marks; NFL prospect)

LB: One: 5 star(Tray Blackmon) One: 4 star(Craig Stevens) One 2 star(Chris Evans)

DB:One: 4 star(Mike McNeil) Three 3 stars(Jarraud Powers, Zac Etheridge, Aairon Savage)

People who will play a lot: One: 3 star(Walter McFadden) One: 2 star (Merrill Johnson)

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

4+1(alternate)

2 stars

2+1(Alternate)

No stars

Special Teams

So total, to fill all 22 positions on offense and defense, and then 3 positions on special teams(KR would be done by a RB if need be) we need this many stars to keep the same "quality" of player(if you buy into stars)

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

So if we had the recruiting class of 2008 which got "crushed" by Bama, for four years, we would have this:

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

That equals 92 players, which is over the Scholly limit, but we obviously wouldn't have kept everyone. Note: Jermaine Johnson, Freddie Smooth, Brandon Smith, Ken Adams and Reggie Hunt were not included.

So what this means is that a team picked to win the West, ranked in the top 10 by some and top 15 by most(and 7th by Rivals) is able to field a team without having mostly 4 and 5 star players. If our recruiting continues the exact same way it was in 2008 and is shaping up for 2009, then we should be more than fine. Oh yeah, and two of our best prospects(Tyronne Greene and Sen'Derrick Marks) were both 2 star players.

Hope ya'll enjoyed.

Thanks. Only deal is that we lost our 5 star to academics this year.

Offense

5 stars

4 stars

4+2 alternate players

3 stars

2+1(alternate player)

2 stars

No stars

Defense

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

4+1(alternate)

2 stars

2+1(Alternate)

No stars

Special Teams

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

No stars

Hope ya'll enjoyed.

And yet, 5 STAR-Raven Gray remains..................

I seem to remember Burns and Ziemba were 5 stars before they committed. What, did Rivals downgrade them once they committed to us?

According to Rivals Burns and Ziemba are both 4 stars and Blackmon is a 5 star.

Yea, I only counted one 5 star and that was Raven Gray. So one 5 star, in each class would give us 4-5 5 stars depending on red-shirts.

Nice work.

On a side note I don't think Raven Gray is gonna play much if at all this season. He looked very gimpy on the practice field, though he does kind of remind me of Stanley McClover with his body and running style.

Archived