Mario Fannin

PChamp119

So the coaches (Tony Franklin specifically) say Mario Fannin is not playing because he is not a good player without the ball. That has to be a bunch of crap. How hard is it to run a route and not expect to get the ball? How hard is it for a WR to throw a block here and there? It can be important, but WR's are not known for excellent blocking skills. Seeing that he was RB, I have a hard time believing he can't block.

The last time I heard a player was not going to play because they couldn't do the "other stuff" was Kenny Irons. The reason he didn't start against GT was because he couldn't block. So the coaches played Tre Smith and regretted it. Then the coaches play Kenny Irons and what happens? Yea, we lost 1 other game that entire season on a bunch of missed FGs against LSU and dominated everyone else except Wisconsin in the bowl game. Throughout the season, Kenny was praised for blocking well (much better than reported in practice).

IMO, the coaches need to forget about this crap and just give him the damn ball. Seeing that our WRs can't get open if the defense laid on their backs, we just need him out there and give him the ball. Tuberville came out and said he was 3rd string because they couldn't determine where to put him since he plays so many positions. I was calling BS on that and now we know the truth. The kid is too talented. I guess we'll just stick with the WRs that we have had for the last 3 years that have a total of like 4 TDs among them (outside of Rod Smith).

So the coaches (Tony Franklin specifically) say Mario Fannin is not playing because he is not a good player without the ball. That has to be a bunch of crap. How hard is it to run a route and not expect to get the ball? How hard is it for a WR to throw a block here and there? It can be important, but WR's are not known for excellent blocking skills. Seeing that he was RB, I have a hard time believing he can't block.

The last time I heard a player was not going to play because they couldn't do the "other stuff" was Kenny Irons. The reason he didn't start against GT was because he couldn't block. So the coaches played Tre Smith and regretted it. Then the coaches play Kenny Irons and what happens? Yea, we lost 1 other game that entire season on a bunch of missed FGs against LSU and dominated everyone else except Wisconsin in the bowl game. Throughout the season, Kenny was praised for blocking well (much better than reported in practice).

IMO, the coaches need to forget about this crap and just give him the damn ball. Seeing that our WRs can't get open if the defense laid on their backs, we just need him out there and give him the ball. Tuberville came out and said he was 3rd string because they couldn't determine where to put him since he plays so many positions. I was calling BS on that and now we know the truth. The kid is too talented. I guess we'll just stick with the WRs that we have had for the last 3 years that have a total of like 4 TDs among them (outside of Rod Smith).

I've been disappointed at how they've handled MF. He is a dynamic player and doesn't get the ball enough. I understand the problems he had with some fumbles last season, but enough is enough. I'm not buying it either. There has to be something else going on. He needs to start at whatever position he can and play a lot of snaps. The only reason I could think of that they don't play him is that he doesn't know the playbook well enough but I don't think thats the reason. Get him the ball and let him shine.

The kid is too talented.

... to follow his assignments?

... to do what he's told?

...to play his position, even when he's not in the spotlight?

I love to watch Mario get the ball as much as anyone, but if he's not disciplined enough to play as a part of a TEAM where everyone does their job, every play - whether or not they get the ball - than CTT is right, he should sit until he pulls his head out....

The easy parts are where he is "struggling" all he has to do is try and the problem is solved.

I won't go so far as to down our WRs. I think Chris Slaughter showed a great ability to separate. He just needs to concentrate and catch the ball. He's got the talent to be special. Rod Smith is solid and productive, and he's shown an ability to make a really big catch here or there. Robert Dunn is explosive. If not for his lack of focus/inconsistency, he'd be fantastic, but he can certainly create space. On top of that, you have Montez Billings (who is hurt right now) who showed good hands and good route running last year.

So I think we have some decent receivers. We just need them to concentrate on catching the ball. They have more than enough talent to get the job done. That said, Mario has to get the ball. He was a solid enough blocker last year. He caught the ball well in the bowl game. He's too explosive to let go to waste. As good as Ben and Brad and Kodi are, we don't have a single player that's as dynamic with the ball in his hands. You can't squander that. He may not be the best blocker or the best route runner, but he's valuable faking the end around (like we did in the bowl) and dragging over the middle and taking a handoff in the backfield (or actually giving him the ball on the end around)... he's too good to waste. And that's what we've done since he fumbled early.

The kid is too talented.

... to follow his assignments?

... to do what he's told?

...to play his position, even when he's not in the spotlight?

I love to watch Mario get the ball as much as anyone, but if he's not disciplined enough to play as a part of a TEAM where everyone does their job, every play - whether or not they get the ball - than CTT is right, he should sit until he pulls his head out....

The easy parts are where he is "struggling" all he has to do is try and the problem is solved.

has anyone actually seen him struggle with this? He provides a spark and plays with intensity. Maybe he doesn't do it all in practice or something. I don't understand why he doesn't play more.

When has he not done his job? I don't understand your post. This is talking about blocking assignments which PC thinks is a cover. I do too. Like he said, they did that with KI and screwed the team the first game. I think this coaching staff is way too loyal to some players. Fannin needs to get the ball and needs to play as much as possible. Does he have some beef with the coaches we don't know about? Maybe, Dunn got moved down because of his actions. But Mario has to be at least 2nd string and 2nd best at whatever position he wants to play.

he showed up to class a grand total of about 7 times this summer including labs. i was surprised to even see him on the depth chart. i assumed he was dealing with rehab, but i dunno. there has to be more to the story than the coaches are letting be known.

He definitely needs to get in there....If we have Kodi + Brad/Tate + Rod Smith and Mario who can play all of those positions on the field at the same time, i see confusion among defensive coordinators.

I just had to clarify a bit. As I recall...Kenny did start the Georgia Tech game, ran the ball once, and then was benched. And it wasn't because he "couldn't" block. It was that he didn't want to block according to what was said at the time. I believe it was said that he didn't feel like he really needed to block hard during practices and for obvious reasons the coaches didn't like that.

So the coaches (Tony Franklin specifically) say Mario Fannin is not playing because he is not a good player without the ball. That has to be a bunch of crap.......Tuberville came out and said he was 3rd string because they couldn't determine where to put him since he plays so many positions. I was calling BS on that and now we know the truth. The kid is too talented.
I've been disappointed at how they've handled MF. He is a dynamic player and doesn't get the ball enough. I understand the problems he had with some fumbles last season, but enough is enough. I'm not buying it either. There has to be something else going on.....
As good as Ben and Brad and Kodi are, we don't have a single player that's as dynamic with the ball in his hands

:roflol:

Let me start off by saying that I'm not trying to start a fight with the upcoming response and that I think we all want to see some solid improvement from our team this next week. I think we have a right to be concerned about the O performance and to be more than disappointed about the passing game in particular. I'd also like to think that WHOEVER is getting the ball next Saturday performs better than we did as a whole this past Saturday and that no matter what I think, one game a season does not make and we'll know a lot more this time next week. Although the seemingly negative things mentioned in this thread still say to me that "We want Auburn to Excel"-I don't agree with how that's being communicated so here's my $.02 and beef with the delivery....

First of all the whole "Conspiracy" tone is a little to Area 51-ish to me :ucrazy: ....I think that it's ridiculous to speculate that our coaches are stupid enough to not play the "Most Dynamic" offensive player that we have for no better reason than 1.)They don't recognize his talent, 2.) Are covering with a lame excuse for no better reason than they can, and/or 3.) Are grudge holding idiots due to a couple of fumbles a year ago. Not only this but to also say that Ben, Brad and Kodi aren't as dynamic with the ball in their hands??? What the crap?? I know Mario is good but I was at the game Saturday and watched it again yesterday on CSS and I saw some "dynamic" play from all three of those guys-I think you are throwing out the babies with the bath water and sound like a bunch of bammers with their Julio Jones world-beater crap....

Honestly, if your collective reasoning is accurate, you guys shouldn't simply be asking for Mario to be inserted or utilized more, you really should be asking for the coaches to be removed should you not??. If there is truly no good reason for not utilizing Mario other than what has been said or insinuated in this thread then removal of the coaches would be the best for the football team and Auburn would it not??? IMO-You either step up and ask for the coaches to be removed for being idiots or you simply relax, cool your emotions and trust that the coaches know more about Mario Fannin and what's good for Auburn than you-especially since you know Mario from only 1 out of 7 days of the game week. To go on about it in the way that you have either says you guys don't no how to appropriately un-wad your panties and deal with not having your expectations met this past Saturday or that you're simply unreasonable and more than likely border-line mental. If possible, give it until the LSU game-if we aren't on track by then, I'll join in the conspiracy theory train too and I'll be the first to start the "Let's fire someone" thread... ;)

...Remember, I'm just expressing my response opinion and that's just one opinion coming from an :au::homer: - so don't take it personal.

So the coaches (Tony Franklin specifically) say Mario Fannin is not playing because he is not a good player without the ball. That has to be a bunch of crap.......Tuberville came out and said he was 3rd string because they couldn't determine where to put him since he plays so many positions. I was calling BS on that and now we know the truth. The kid is too talented.
I've been disappointed at how they've handled MF. He is a dynamic player and doesn't get the ball enough. I understand the problems he had with some fumbles last season, but enough is enough. I'm not buying it either. There has to be something else going on.....
As good as Ben and Brad and Kodi are, we don't have a single player that's as dynamic with the ball in his hands

:roflol:

Let me start off by saying that I'm not trying to start a fight with the upcoming response and that I think we all want to see some solid improvement from our team this next week. I think we have a right to be concerned about the O performance and to be more than disappointed about the passing game in particular. I'd also like to think that WHOEVER is getting the ball next Saturday performs better than we did as a whole this past Saturday and that no matter what I think, one game a season does not make and we'll know a lot more this time next week. Although the seemingly negative things mentioned in this thread still say to me that "We want Auburn to Excel"-I don't agree with how that's being communicated so here's my $.02 and beef with the delivery....

First of all the whole "Conspiracy" tone is a little to Area 51-ish to me :ucrazy: ....I think that it's ridiculous to speculate that our coaches are stupid enough to not play the "Most Dynamic" offensive player that we have for no better reason than 1.)They don't recognize his talent, 2.) Are covering with a lame excuse for no better reason than they can, and/or 3.) Are grudge holding idiots due to a couple of fumbles a year ago. Not only this but to also say that Ben, Brad and Kodi aren't as dynamic with the ball in their hands??? What the crap?? I know Mario is good but I was at the game Saturday and watched it again yesterday on CSS and I saw some "dynamic" play from all three of those guys-I think you are throwing out the babies with the bath water and sound like a bunch of bammers with their Julio Jones world-beater crap....

Honestly, if your collective reasoning is accurate, you guys shouldn't simply be asking for Mario to be inserted or utilized more, you really should be asking for the coaches to be removed should you not??. If there is truly no good reason for not utilizing Mario other than what has been said or insinuated in this thread then removal of the coaches would be the best for the football team and Auburn would it not??? IMO-You either step up and ask for the coaches to be removed for being idiots or you simply relax, cool your emotions and trust that the coaches know more about Mario Fannin and what's good for Auburn than you-especially since you know Mario from only 1 out of 7 days of the game week. To go on about it in the way that you have either says you guys don't no how to appropriately un-wad your panties and deal with not having your expectations met this past Saturday or that you're simply unreasonable and more than likely border-line mental. If possible, give it until the LSU game-if we aren't on track by then, I'll join in the conspiracy theory train too and I'll be the first to start the "Let's fire someone" thread... ;)

...Remember, I'm just expressing my response opinion and that's just one opinion coming from an :au::homer: - so don't take it personal.

I'm not saying the coaches are idiots(CTF already basically said he was). But I have seen MF's stats and they are great. When he gets the ball, he makes plays. I'm not saying that Kodi, Tate, or Lester isn't dynamic. I'm saying that Mario adds to our offense and needs to be used more. We've seen the coaches do this before. CTT is very loyal to his older players, and I like that. But, I wish they would play the players that give us the best chance to be as good as we can possibly be. Mario has been great when he gets the ball. I don't think anyone can deny that. I feel that Robert Dunn can be almost the same. He breaks tackles and provides a spark. Apparently he is in the doghouse and thats fine. Players need to be disciplined. We obviously didn't need our best players to be ULM. But when it comes time to play our best game, our best players need to be in there and getting the ball. Mario needs to get the ball. The coaches do a great job, and they have to be seeing what mario does in the games.

Asking for a player to be used more is not asking for coaches to be fired or removed. We just don't understand the reasoning for not playing him. If they think that Mario is good enough to play all these positions, which they said he is, then why aren't they playing him?

This is not a conspiracy theory or anything, but you gotta admit, when they didn't play KI it was crap. Everyone knew KI should have been playing more, regardless of his blocking. If I recall, Cox was terrible because of the pressure he was under in the GT game. That was with a so called better blocker in tre smith. I don't always have to like how our coaches go about things. I don't always have to agree with them. I think everyone is behind them and knows what they stand for. No one here is asking for them to be fired and questioning them is not by any means asking for that.

I'm not sure about a conspiracy theory. I just know what I see when I watch Mario Fannin. Look coaches are loyal to older players. They just are, and sometimes, they are wrong in their loyalty.

For example, the best thing that happened to UGA last year was Thomas Brown and Kregg Lumpkin getting (not seriously) injured at the same time. Why? It removed Mark Richt's timidity in just making Moreno the man and leaping him over more experienced players. He was the best back on the team from snap one last year, but Richt wouldn't play him like a feature back. I'm sure he had good reasons, but he was wrong. That doesn't mean he needed to lose his job; it just means he should've played Moreno more. In the end, the decision was made for him and the rest is history.

Fannin is like that. He's the best offensive weapon we have. You can see it when he gets the ball. He's got Tate's size, Lester's quickness, special vision, and he gets the other guys around him fired up. He's special. Now we aren't giving him the ball, and I'm sure our coaches have good reasons why. I just know what I see when he's on the field. If he's not doing something right, that's a different thing. He needs to be held out. But if it's just a "can't find the right way to get him touches" thing (which Tubs basically eluded to when he said he was a backup "because he plays so many spots")... then the coaches are just as wrong as Mark Richt was. It happens. It doesn't mean they need to go. It just means our offense won't be as good as it could be until Mario finds his way to the field

Something that has not been brought up is the shoulder. He had a serious injury in the spring requiring surgery. Prehaps playing in spot duty is the best for now, saving him for games that really matter (MSU,LSU). If you all recall he played sparingly during several fall practices and scrimages. Just my 2 cents.

For "some reason" Mario The Great was red-shirted in 2006. If there hadn't been some sort of problem, a player with his talent would have played.

For "some reason" Mario The Great never broke into the starting lineup last year, and indeed, played very little for a player with his talent.

Now, for "some reason" Mario The Great isn't getting 20 touches per game and , in fact, is once again playing very little.

This kid has been all potential and little production ever since the day we signed him. If he won't get with the program and do what the coaches need him to do, he belongs on the bench, or maybe he should transfer to Jax State where he can pair up with Perriloux.

For "some reason" Mario The Great was red-shirted in 2006. If there hadn't been some sort of problem, a player with his talent would have played.

For "some reason" Mario The Great never broke into the starting lineup last year, and indeed, played very little for a player with his talent.

Now, for "some reason" Mario The Great isn't getting 20 touches per game and , in fact, is once again playing very little.

This kid has been all potential and little production ever since the day we signed him. If he won't get with the program and do what the coaches need him to do, he belongs on the bench, or maybe he should transfer to Jax State where he can pair up with Perriloux.

Yea because that is how you win football games - play the lesser talented players. And don't give me the crap and speech about "developing young people and making them winners on and off the field." Look, this is football and the goal is to win games. If you have one player that can make plays and one player than can't - you play the one that can make plays. We aren't talking about not going to class. We aren't talking about getting in trouble with the law. This is a talented individual that excels on the football field and doesn't get in trouble off the field. Fannin has shown he can make the plays, as he does so every time he touches the ball. I don't think he and Perriloux are in the same category - they are far from it. If Fannin was the non-team player you might be implying, he wouldn't be playing at all. There is a reason the coaches brought him out to start the second half - because the offense needed a spark.

Amazing how a guy who has never been in trouble off the field nor cited for any trouble in the classroom was just equated to a guy that was arrested twice at LSU, a participant in a bar fight he wasn't arrested for, and implicated in a counterfeit scandal... amazing. Maybe you should take a few plays off there big guy.

The thing I don't understand is why Eric Smith is getting what should be Mario touches.I understand Mario's shoulder injury but when it's healed I think he should get at least 33% of the RB touches.It would be one thing if Ben and Brad were the sole RB's but as talented as Eric may be why should he be getting to run the ball more than Mario????

Davis and Fanin are simply not being used as they should,they have been moved too much and are wasting away and that's easy for anyone to see.

I think it's safe to say that Tristan Davis' career was significantly affected by multiple foot injuries. He still wears protection over his foot. His game was based on speed, and he's got a bad wheel that may not ever fully heal. I'm not sure that he's being misused; I'm afraid injuries took away his opportunity.

I guess AU's coaches are simply trying to lose by playing lesser talented players..........

Please................

<snip>If you have one player that can make plays and one player than can't - you play the one that can make plays.....

A made play followed by a fumble, a made play followed by a busted play because Fannin missed an assignment from not practicing hard, and soon you've got a talented player that is losing games for you.

Tate and Lester can make plays without all the fumbles and mess ups. Fannin needs to get it in gear and become a team player. He belongs on the side until the coaches are comfortable that he won't give the game away.

<snip>If you have one player that can make plays and one player than can't - you play the one that can make plays.....

A made play followed by a fumble, a made play followed by a busted play because Fannin missed an assignment from not practicing hard, and soon you've got a talented player that is losing games for you.

Tate and Lester can make plays without all the fumbles and mess ups. Fannin needs to get it in gear and become a team player. He belongs on the side until the coaches are comfortable that he won't give the game away.

You are comparing him to RBs. I am comparing him to WRs. Can you pin point the WRs that are doing a better job than him? Rod Smith is basically all that has done anything worth noting.

Maybe it's as simple as Fannin's shoulder is still not a 100%. He could play if he had to, but since he didn't have to they let him rest another week. And nothing is wrong AT ALL with Eric Smith. When Mario gets cranked up in the receiving game, another runner will be great to have.

Reading this thread, started by an expert chump, I had to go back and make sure we won 34-0 Saturday night. I also had to check and make sure I wasn't on a bama board.

FWIW, Fannin was working hard in practice yesterday and getting special attention from Coach Franklin. I have no idea, other than what he has said, why Franklin has been a little critical of Fannin but I will trust his judgement since he there seeing Fannin everyday and is a heck of a lot better judge than anyone here that I know of.

Reading this thread, started by an expert chump, I had to go back and make sure we won 34-0 Saturday night. I also had to check and make sure I wasn't on a bama board.

FWIW, Fannin was working hard in practice yesterday and getting special attention from Coach Franklin. I have no idea, other than what he has said, why Franklin has been a little critical of Fannin but I will trust his judgement since he there seeing Fannin everyday and is a heck of a lot better judge than anyone here that I know of.

Oh yea, of course on ALL of the hundreds of posts since Saturday - pick out mine as the one to bash for complaining about our performance. Note I haven't been complaining much about our performance. I have questioned our coaching decisions (but I am also not the only one). But apparently, the other 183 posts since Saturday that complain about the offense are OK since they aren't made by me. I get it... everyone else can bash the offense (which I didn't do), except for me.

Forgive me for starting a thread about Mario Fannin and the controversy around him that many are interested in knowing about.

What a loser you are.

The truth is, whether you want to admit it or not, is that the Auburn fans on this board are not only slightly disappointed with the team's performance (which 34-0 is nothing to worry about, I completely agree - our boys did what was expected, hell I predicted 31-10 and 34-0 is better than that); the Auburn fans are comparing our team to Alabama. Alabama went out and destroyed Clemson 34-10 (the lone TD being a KO return). Our teams scored the same amount of points. Bama's offense scored more on the predicted ACC champs than our offense did against a Sun Belt team.

IMO, whether you guys want to admit it or not, the Auburn fans are comparing our team's performance to that of Bama. Bama looked great and Auburn did not in a comparable sense. If Bama had won like 17-14 or lost, IMO we wouldn't be hearing as much. But I think there are some worried faces about the November matchup. I am sure you guys will reply with "we don't compare ourselves to Bama and we saw our game and noticed things that can be fixed." All I am saying is that if Hell Froze over and we had the same play against USM and Bama lost to Tulane - we wouldn't hear much about our offense struggling because everyone would be happy that Bama lost.

Mario has tremendous ability, and I'm sure the coaches want him out there making plays more than anyone. With that in mind, seems to me CTF, probably with CTT's endorsement (or at his direction??), is trying to motivate Mario and /or change his mindset - not unlike what CTT has done as recently as last week with Robert Dunn, and previously with Tray Blackmon, Kenny Irons, etc. If Mario learns his lesson, I expect you'll see a lot more of him come Sept 20; we'll need him a lot more then than we did this weekend.

If our passing game is as bad as it looks, then put Mario Fannin at QB in a run oriented spread. We will need 2 running QB's to make it work throughout a whole season.

Archived