I am officialy discharged!!!

Ranger12

My wife got a bit of scare today. My mom called and said that I had gotten a letter-sized manila envelope from the Department of the Army. So of course, my wife is thinking the same thing I am thinking, "are they calling me back in?". I thought that quite strange considering I though my inactive duty status ended in 2002 and the Army knows I have a athritis in my back because of a stress fracture I have from all those hard landings jumping out of C-130s and helicopters. So, I immediatly stop what I am doing and go over to my folk's house and see what it is. I get there and see the envelopes I have seen quite a few times before. They kind that you get when you are been reassigned. I get this mixed emotion of the opportunity of going back in, but also the fear you would normally have plus the fact I have two kids now and I am not that 20 year old Ranger anymore. Well, the Army had the last life on me. It was my official discharge papers from my inactive duty status and my Honorable Discharge certificate that comes with it. Needless to say, my wife was very relieved, except for the fact the discharge was dated March 2, 2004, whereas we both though this whole time my inactive statuse ended in 2002. She thought I had been lying to her this whole time, but I finally conviced her that I actually thought I had a 4 year inactive status and not a 6 year (active duty ended in 1998).

Not the most exciting of read for most of you, but I thought I would share the funny story with all at my wife's expense.

Congrats, Ranger! I thank you for your service!

Thanks. It was an honor to serve (even if it did last two years longer then I thought it was supposed too :lol: )

Congratulations Ranger,

Thank you for your service to our country.

I ETS'd in 1985 and never looked back.

Pursue an endeavor as far away from military service as possible.

Good Luck,

BF

AASLT2.gif

Any extra benefits you can collect for the additional 2 years??  :D

Geez, I wish. I actually could draw a small military disability pay because of my back, but I would rather not because it does not keep me from working or still participate in sports.

BF, why did you want to get so far away from the military if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you like. I loved the military and if it was not because of a couple of FUBAR missions and a bad back, I would still be in. I am still associated with the military as a consultant, but that is not full time.

Thanks for the kudos guys, but that pat on the back goes to the ones serving now. I just though it would be a funny story for some to read. Hope nobody thinks I was looking for "attaboys".

RLTW!!!

Archived