Question of the day

MDM4AU

Question of the day:

Are you a dog or cat person?

This is just supposed to be light-hearted so refrain from psycho-analytical judgement on people. Cat people can't help the way they are! ;)

I am a dog person. I have two of them. I don't hate cats but I simply do not like them. Mainly because I am allergic to them.

Dogs!

I have a black lab, Rocky, who is 3 years old. I also have a golden retriever Aubie, who is 18 years old. I just had to have her sister put to sleep two weeks ago and I don't think Aubie will last a whole lot longer. 18 is very old for a golden retriever. They have weak hip joints and have a great deal of trouble as they age.

I grew up with dogs. I love dogs. But....I did grow up on a farm, and the dogs had all the space in the world to roam and play when we weren't home. The biggest problem that I have is with a lot of dog owners. They get a dog and keep it in an apartment or subdivison, don't walk it, don't play with it, which is mistreatment and irresponsible behavior, IMO.

My wife wants a dog bad, and this next time we move, I'm going to try and get a much bigger yard so that I can get her one. I can just see it now. It'll be her dog but I'll be the one taking the dog out for its walks every time I run, or ride my bike.

However, in all honesty, cats are:

1. Smarter

2. Cleaner

3. Quieter

4. Less Destructive

5. Cheaper to maintain

But I guess I'm still a dog person.

I'm both. My wife is definitely a cat person, so doesn't that really make me one, too?

I have two cats and a mutt right now, but I've trained a few Labs (for duck hunting). I just enjoy animals as a whole. I seem to have a knack for them.

However, in all honesty, cats are:

1. Smarter

2. Cleaner

3. Quieter

4. Less Destructive

5. Cheaper to maintain

1. Debatable

2. Except for their hair which is so fine, it's nearly impossible to get all of it up and it floats around to every thing.

3. You've never heard one caterwaul in the middle of the night, have you?

4. Two words: "Claws" "Sofa" I rest my case.

5. Based on what? Depending on the size of your dog, he might eat more. But dog food tends to be cheaper. I don't have to buy cat litter for my dog. Cats seem to get (and transmit) a lot more diseases thus requiring more trips to the vet.

I lived with a cat person for several years. I never understood the devotion.

Got to disagree on most of your takes on cats!

Just because a cat licks the poop, litter, dirt, germs, rat guts, sewer sludge, etc off only to ingest it does not make it cleaner. Cat bites are many times more likely to get infected than dog bites.

Though my dogs tended to dig and gnaw when they were puppies, that ended as they got older and "NO!" or "BAD!" taught them that it was not a good idea. My inlaws had two cats that even in their old age would still claw the bannisters, etc. to sharpen their claws. And "NO!" just pissed them off or scared them away for the time being. They would return for another round.

With my dogs, food and love and the occasional bath (shots understood) are rather cheap. With the exception of litter for cats, that may be a wash. (My dogs are "inside" dogs.)

My dogs are every-bit as smart as any cat I know. They have their moments when you wonder if they had fallen and bumped their heads, but for the most part they are extremely smart. I did have to spend time with them to train them but I didn't go to any great lengths to do it. Most things came naturally. How many cats can actually fetch or run to the "car." How many cats will go get their "ball" when you tell them to. I could go on and on on this one but I think you get the picture.

I will give you the "quieter." My dogs can raise the dead if you get them fired up enough.

By the way, have you ever tried to wash a cat? I worked for a veterinarian in "Fungomery" for a while and had to on many occasions. I should have received "hazard" pay!

Ah yes, washing a cat. Some helpful hints for that project:

How to clean a cat

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and lift both lids.

3. Take the cat and soothe him while you carry him toward the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape. Caution: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for anything they can find.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" that I have found to be quite effective.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people or animals between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet and run outside, where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,

the Dog

:lol:

"Oh she tells her friends I'm perfect and that I love her cat...but you know me better than that" Sorry for the George Strait clip.

Dogs, definitely. We have both but if it weren't for my daughter, we definitely would not have a cat.

TT that is probably the only way to wash a cat without getting scarred for life. :lol::lol::lol:

About my points. I didn't provide explanations b/c I really thought most were slam dunk, no-brainers.

Cats are much smarter animals. Just because you can train a dog, doesn't make him smart. Several breeds of hunting and working dogs are very smart, I'll admit that, but as a general species, dogs aren't very smart.

Correct, cat bites have a much greater tendancy of getting infected. But it is not b/c of their grooming habits, dogs lick themselves a lot more than cats do. It is due to the fact that their teeth and claws are very sharp, and designed to punture or slice, while dog's teeth and claws are designed to tear. I will agree about the hair though, it does get everywhere.

Cats can definitely be loud. The sound of 2 cats fighting measures over 120 db. The difference is, that may happen with cats once in a while, but not usually all night, or at every small sound, which is the case with the dogs in my neighborhood.

This one can be debateable too. If you give a kitten a scratching post with catnip on it, you'll never have any trouble. But once again, I go back to what I've seen in my neighborhood. Dogs tear stuff up, period.

Pound for pound its probably about the same cost for dogs and cats. However, most dogs don't weight 10-15 pounds. Dogs get sick just as much as cats, and have a lot more musculoskeletal problems. I didn't even consider litter, so this one could be a wash as well.

I'm just giving you a hard time bammanmr. I mostly just don't like cats, so I'll admit, I'm biased.

For the record, my dog has never messed up or chewed any of my clothes, shoes, etc. He has a toilet paper fetish, but that's about it. Unlike my stepmom's cat that once took a dump on the floor in my room and pulled my sweatpants over on top of it.

I'm just giving you a hard time bammanmr.  I mostly just don't like cats, so I'll admit, I'm biased.

For the record, my dog has never messed up or chewed any of my clothes, shoes, etc.  He has a toilet paper fetish, but that's about it. Unlike my stepmom's cat that once took a dump on the floor in my room and pulled my sweatpants over on top of it.

:roflol: That was hilarious! :roflol:

my stepmom's cat that once took a dump on the floor in my room and pulled my sweatpants over on top of it.

There's proof that cats are smarter!!! Who ever heard of a dog doing that! :lol::lol::lol:

Speaking of dogs, has anyone seen the latest Master Card commercials with the family on vacation that leaves their dog. The dog travels across country to get home, etc. It's great!

My question is, what kind of dog is that?

Dog person!!! I did not know that cats could be pets. I have alwasy used them as fish bait. :D

Dogs all the way.

Most of everyone is responding from their personal experience. I guess I will 2. I am a dog person. We have a dog and a cat. Dogs are more loveable.

I swear CATS ARE GIRLS and DOGS ARE BOYS.

Cats can act really weird sometimes. MEAN little creatures!!

Well, I had to respond to this one. I grew up with dogs and never was around a cat until I was a teen and I still like dogs, most of them anyway.

But I became involved with cats and for many years bred and showed Persians and Exotics (shorthair persians). There is no doubt that cats are smarter than dogs..... cats are smarter than a lot of people I know!!! I could write a book on the things that I have personally witnessed with cats that I would not have believed had I not seen them with my own eyes.

But I'll leave it with one thought; animal psychologists thought for years that dogs were smarter because people could train dogs. Now they have concluded that cats are smarter because cats can train people!!!!

Hey Southlink:

What is that a picture of? Can you blow it up some, I can't quite tell what it is! ;)

Sure...since I know how to do that and all...heck, I decided to crack the window mainframe and develop my own system...u want it?

Dogs! Especially Golden Retrievers. I've had several of them through the years and have one now that is 6 years old. You just can't beat the greeting that you get from your dog every time they see you. Everyone else in the world can be mad at you, but your dog is always glad to see you!

WDE! :au:

Archived