Auburn wins opener vs Niagara

TitanTiger

With the score tied at 63 apiece, Dewayne Reed drives to the hole with 10.8 seconds left, hits a layup and is fouled. He gets the FT to put Auburn up 66-63. Auburn hits a few more FTs to seal the win 69-65. Good win over a solid Niagara team that won 26 games last season.

I think Coach Lebo said last night that Niagara has four starters back from last year's 26 win team. Way to go Tigers! :cheer:

With the score tied at 63 apiece, Dewayne Reed drives to the hole with 10.8 seconds left, hits a layup and is fouled. He gets the FT to put Auburn up 66-63. Auburn hits a few more FTs to seal the win 69-65. Good win over a solid Niagara team that won 26 games last season.

Auburn trailed 65-63 before that Reed 3-point play. Reed gave Auburn a 66-65 lead and Niagara could not score again. Hargrove made 3 out of 4 free throws in the last few seconds. Auburn was 25 of 30 from the line. I hope that is a trend that continues.

18% 3pt FGs

35% FGs

83% FT

Impressed that we won that game versus a veteran team even with poor shooting from the field, especially 3 point line. But man, let's keep it going on the FTs guys!! Great way to open up the season.

haha, Cornell beat uat today!!

If you consider this a good win, then I suppose you don't expect to go to the NCAA Tournament because whether they won 26 games or not, that is one of the easiest games on the schedule. Seems very similar to last year. What game will this team lose that it shouldn't? I'm going to predict IUPUI or Charleston Southern.

If you consider this a good win, then I suppose you don't expect to go to the NCAA Tournament because whether they won 26 games or not, that is one of the easiest games on the schedule. Seems very similar to last year. What game will this team lose that it shouldn't? I'm going to predict IUPUI or Charleston Southern.

Um, wrong. This was a 26-9 team that lost to Siena in their conference title game (the Siena that knocked off Ohio State in the NCAA tourney), went to the NIT last season and returned 4 starters. It was a good win against a solid team. Far from one of the easiest on the schedule, Mr. Lack of Basketball Knowledge.

Their RPI was 49 last year. Not a bad team at all.

Same ol' PChump. The sport may change but his dislike for things Auburn never slacks off. Hey Chump: Go over to the Other Sports forum and complain about the swimming teams. Surely you can find something negative in their sweep of UAT the other night, or the remarkable run of national championships over the past 15 years.

Niagra has a basketball team. I'm used to seeing them in hockey playing UAH.

Good early season win for the Tigers.

PC....same ole Chump.

I am willing to bet that if Auburn is like 16-9 near the end of the season, they won't be looking at Auburn's resume and be like, "WOW! Auburn beat Niagara. Now that is a good quality win. I mean I know they lost to Dayton and Alabama State and 7 other SEC games, but beating .500 ball clubs and worse in the SEC and topping it off with a win against Niagara definitely deserves them a bid for the field of 64."

LOL... did you really just compare them to losing to SIENA. You know who else Niagara lost to last year? Akron, Chattanooga, Marist, and Iona. Oh and Rider... and that's not Ghost Rider or Night Rider. Just Rider. Where are your wonderful statistics on who those teams beat last year. They also lost to Rhode Island. Niagara's best win last year was against... well they did defeat Siena once. They also beat Illinois State.

I mean, I guess if Auburn were in the MAAC, they MIGHT win the conference (might struggle with Siena too much). Come on. With Mr. Lebo and SEC talent, Auburn should expect to be better than Niagara and Siena.

Is Niagra a great win? No but it still doesnt diminish what a nice win this was. When you shoot 35% from the field and 18% from 3 with this Auburn team you are going to lose most games. The impressive thing was this team found a way to win a game it should have lost. It grinded out a win and thats all that matters. I dont think anyone is saying this win is a ncaa tournament resume win but it wasnt against "the blind sisters of the poor," either.

Will Auburn drop some games to teams they shouldnt? Maybe but so do alot of good teams. It basketball where all it takes a cold night of shooting and you are staring a loss in the face.

Is Niagra a great win? No but it still doesnt diminish what a nice win this was. When you shoot 35% from the field and 18% from 3 with this Auburn team you are going to lose most games. The impressive thing was this team found a way to win a game it should have lost. It grinded out a win and thats all that matters. I dont think anyone is saying this win is a ncaa tournament resume win but it wasnt against "the blind sisters of the poor," either.

Will Auburn drop some games to teams they shouldnt? Maybe but so do alot of good teams. It basketball where all it takes a cold night of shooting and you are staring a loss in the face.

Interestingly enough, Niagra drops UCF by 17.

Archived