Chuck Person would listen...

RunInRed

Chuck Person would listen if college coaching job came open

By ANDREW GRIBBLE | Auburn University Beat Reporter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Just going by his resume, Chuck Person appears to have a pigeon-holed future as an NBA coach or executive.

There are, of course, exceptions and opportunities that would be too good to overlook.

Coaching at a major college in a major conference would be one of them, Person said Thursday.

“Obviously, the pros would be my first choice, but if I could get a good college job in a good conference, yeah, I would look into it if the opportunity presents itself,” Person said Thursday at Bridgestone Arena, shortly after receiving the SEC Legends honor during halftime of Auburn’s season-ending loss to Florida.

“I think I’m kind of institutionalized when it comes to the pros — 15 years as a player and 10 as a coach or an executive in the front office. But if the opportunity presents itself, like any coach, you want to be a head coach at the highest level.”

Person, Auburn’s all-time leading scorer, is currently with the Los Angeles Lakers, serving as a special assistant to NBA legend Phil Jackson. He’s also served as an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings since retiring from the league in 2000.

With Jeff Lebo’s job status in heavy limbo following the Tigers’ seventh consecutive season without an NCAA Tournament berth, Person has been considered by some fans as a desirable replacement, should Lebo be fired.

Person said he has heard rumors about Lebo’s future, just like everyone else, but fully supported the six-year coach.

“I think Coach Lebo has done a good job with the situation he came into and the players he has to work with,” Person said. “But, obviously, you can’t win unless you get players and that’s the main thing.

“The kids are in a situation where Auburn is a football school, so you have to understand the dynamics of the situation in order to realize your prospects of winning when you’re a coach at a school like that.”

The players were the key in saving Sonny Smith’s job in 1985, Person said. Person was a key member of that squad, which underachieved during the regular season but shocked the SEC when it won four games in four days at the SEC Tournament, becoming the first team to ever accomplish the feat.

The Tigers went on to bigger and better things in 1986, rolling through the season and upsetting No. 1 St. John’s in the NCAA Tournament before bowing out in the Elite Eight.

“You want to be there for the guy who brought you in on the scholarship so Sonny was a friend to all of us, a father figure,” Person said. “So we were all doing it for him. We found something we can hang our hats on and really play for and that’s what we did.”

Auburn, though, could not rally around the embattled Lebo on Thursday, leaving many to wonder if Person could be next in line.

“Basketball is important to me at Auburn,” Person said. “I understand the football situation there and Auburn can win at basketball as well as football if you get the right players to do it with.”

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/college/auburn/article/chuck_person_would_listen_if_college_coaching_job_came_open/137703/

Chuck Person would listen if college coaching job came open

By ANDREW GRIBBLE | Auburn University Beat Reporter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Just going by his resume, Chuck Person appears to have a pigeon-holed future as an NBA coach or executive.

There are, of course, exceptions and opportunities that would be too good to overlook.

Coaching at a major college in a major conference would be one of them, Person said Thursday.

“Obviously, the pros would be my first choice, but if I could get a good college job in a good conference, yeah, I would look into it if the opportunity presents itself,” Person said Thursday at Bridgestone Arena, shortly after receiving the SEC Legends honor during halftime of Auburn’s season-ending loss to Florida.

“I think I’m kind of institutionalized when it comes to the pros — 15 years as a player and 10 as a coach or an executive in the front office. But if the opportunity presents itself, like any coach, you want to be a head coach at the highest level.”

Person, Auburn’s all-time leading scorer, is currently with the Los Angeles Lakers, serving as a special assistant to NBA legend Phil Jackson. He’s also served as an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings since retiring from the league in 2000.

With Jeff Lebo’s job status in heavy limbo following the Tigers’ seventh consecutive season without an NCAA Tournament berth, Person has been considered by some fans as a desirable replacement, should Lebo be fired.

Person said he has heard rumors about Lebo’s future, just like everyone else, but fully supported the six-year coach.

“I think Coach Lebo has done a good job with the situation he came into and the players he has to work with,” Person said. “But, obviously, you can’t win unless you get players and that’s the main thing.

“The kids are in a situation where Auburn is a football school, so you have to understand the dynamics of the situation in order to realize your prospects of winning when you’re a coach at a school like that.”

The players were the key in saving Sonny Smith’s job in 1985, Person said. Person was a key member of that squad, which underachieved during the regular season but shocked the SEC when it won four games in four days at the SEC Tournament, becoming the first team to ever accomplish the feat.

The Tigers went on to bigger and better things in 1986, rolling through the season and upsetting No. 1 St. John’s in the NCAA Tournament before bowing out in the Elite Eight.

“You want to be there for the guy who brought you in on the scholarship so Sonny was a friend to all of us, a father figure,” Person said. “So we were all doing it for him. We found something we can hang our hats on and really play for and that’s what we did.”

Auburn, though, could not rally around the embattled Lebo on Thursday, leaving many to wonder if Person could be next in line.

“Basketball is important to me at Auburn,” Person said. “I understand the football situation there and Auburn can win at basketball as well as football if you get the right players to do it with.”

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/college/auburn/article/chuck_person_would_listen_if_college_coaching_job_came_open/137703/

Hope he gets his first choice. It would be a shame to have to settle. :rolleyes:

Hope he gets his first choice. It would be a shame to have to settle. :rolleyes:

Sort of left me feeling the same way. I'd rather not be his fall back option.

Chuck Person has been a great representative of Auburn University. I'd be delighted if he'd become our next basketball coach, but I don't look for that to happen.

You know honestly if AU cannot hire a proven winner (ie Drew from Baylor) and has to take a gamble on some mid major coach nobody has heard of which is as big a gamble as keeping Lebo I just assume they hire Chuck Person. Sink or Swim with an Auburn man.

He loves basketball he played in the NBA, he loves Auburn it would be much more of a splash hire then say the Richmond or Robert Morris coach whoever the hell that is.

Chuck Person has been a great representative of Auburn University. I'd be delighted if he'd become our next basketball coach, but I don't look for that to happen.

Not to hijack this thread but as an alumnus I hate to hear anybody call Auburn a football school, especially from a high profile alumnus. HEARD OF OUR SWIMMING PROGRAM!?! If nothing else calling AU a football school is unbelievably elitist and belittles anything non-football (we were an NCAA tournament #1 seed in basketball as recently as '99, our baseball tradition is top notch, our track program has history, blah,blah blah).

The football school angle sounds like what it is, a sorry excuse for sorry coaching results in other...just as worthy...sports. Can you think of other "football schools" that excel in other sports w/ sub-par facilities? clemson, B.C. & a couple dozen others come to mind.

Not to hijack this thread but as an alumnus I hate to hear anybody call Auburn a football school, especially from a high profile alumnus. HEARD OF OUR SWIMMING PROGRAM!?! If nothing else calling AU a football school is unbelievably elitist and belittles anything non-football (we were an NCAA tournament #1 seed in basketball as recently as '99, our baseball tradition is top notch, our track program has history, blah,blah blah).

The football school angle sounds like what it is, a sorry excuse for sorry coaching results in other...just as worthy...sports. Can you think of other "football schools" that excel in other sports w/ sub-par facilities? clemson, B.C. & a couple dozen others come to mind.

You're reaching. Ask anyone in America if they have heard of AU and you'll get some football reference.

It is what it is. And it has been that way for a long time. Chuck grew up in it. He understands it. To deny it would be silliness.

My only concerns with Person would be dealing with the recruiting aspects of running the program. He's been in the NBA has a player and now as a coach and in administration. It's vastly different that having to sell the program to the right kids and get out there on the recruiting trail and finding those kids.

I'm not saying Chuck wouldn't be an intriguing choice, but the way he said that made it seem like a college coaching job would merely be a fall back or a stepping stone to an NBA one for him. And I don't like that, especially coming from an alum.

You're reaching. Ask anyone in America if they have heard of AU and you'll get some football reference.

It is what it is. And it has been that way for a long time. Chuck grew up in it. He understands it. To deny it would be silliness.

Yeah, when Auburn made the NCAA Tournament 5 straight times in the 1980s, the home crowd attendance was average at best:

1983-84: 6,672

1984-85: 6,066

1985-86: 7,235

1986-87: 6,824

1987-88: 7,097

Heck, in the 1992-93 season, the home average was 8,358

The 1998-99 season when Auburn went 29-4, the home average was 8,259

They sold out their season tickets for the 1999-00 season, but every seat wasn't close to being filled for some of the non conference games.

Has anyone confirmed if he has to have a degree? Or has he received it from somewhere else?

Auburn is widely percieved as a football school. Football plays a huge role in our school culture. I am very proud of the accomplishments of our other athletic programs, but, for better or worse, most people identify our school with a football team. The other programs rarely have buzz, even when doing well. Maybe that can change, but I don't see how on earth stating a common perception is elitist. Most Auburn people care more about football than all the other sports put together, and most non-Auburn people identify us only as a football program. Some may know that Charles Barkley and Chuck Person played basketball on the Plains. Sure, our swimming and diving team have had outstanding success. Anyone who follows college swimming and diving knows that. But your average ESPN watching sports fan doesn't really care. The same way I don't really care about the national championships that Bama has won at gymnastics, Arkansas has won in track and field, etc.

Auburn is widely percieved as a football school. Football plays a huge role in our school culture. I am very proud of the accomplishments of our other athletic programs, but, for better or worse, most people identify our school with a football team. The other programs rarely have buzz, even when doing well. Maybe that can change, but I don't see how on earth stating a common perception is elitist. Most Auburn people care more about football than all the other sports put together, and most non-Auburn people identify us only as a football program. Some may know that Charles Barkley and Chuck Person played basketball on the Plains. Sure, our swimming and diving team have had outstanding success. Anyone who follows college swimming and diving knows that. But your average ESPN watching sports fan doesn't really care. The same way I don't really care about the national championships that Bama has won at gymnastics, Arkansas has won in track and field, etc.

As a current student, I can say that Auburn is definitely a football school. Even the locals and students in Auburn neglect to go to many basketball, baseball, or volleyball games, much less swimming meets with champions and our National Champion Equestrian team. Many people across the country know little to nothing about Auburn. Most wouldn't know where it is, and if they recognize the name, they remember Bo Jackson and Pat Dye in the '80s. It just the reality of it all.

When it comes to basketball, I'm glad the new arena is coming next year; I think it may get the student body back into it, and, with a new coach, there are more reasons for people to show up. I never like to see anyone fired or "dismissed," but I can say as a student at Auburn that it was a much needed change to, like JJ said, point Auburn basketball in a new direction. I'm excited to have the students on 3 sides of the court on the floor next year. It will be fun, and hopefully, more successful.

I'm not saying Chuck wouldn't be an intriguing choice, but the way he said that made it seem like a college coaching job would merely be a fall back or a stepping stone to an NBA one for him. And I don't like that, especially coming from an alum.

Yep.

Has anyone confirmed if he has to have a degree? Or has he received it from somewhere else?

That's the $64,000 question? If he doesn't, how far is he from earning it? Will he have to pull a Sidney Lowe (N.C. State) and complete the classwork over the spring and the summer so he can have the credential by the time practice starts in the fall?

Archived