Ole Miss Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #9 Statistical Evaluation (Ole Miss)

Offensive Report Card

1) Average 6-yards per play on 1st down: 3.73 (failed)

2) Convert at least 40 pct of 3rd downs: 45.5 pct (check)

3) Average at least 4.5 yards per rush: 5.08 (check)

4) Score on 1/3 of your offensive possessions: 53.8% (check)

5) Keep "3 and out" series under 33%: 38.6% (failed)

6) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: 10.7 (check)

7) Score above 75% in red zone: 100% (check)

8) Average 30-yards per possession: 31.8 YPP (check)

9) 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 66.2% (check)

10) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 5 TD’s / 2 turnover (check)

11) TD ratio of 1 every 17 plays: 13.0 (check)

12) 8 impact plays: 6 (failed)

13) at least 2 big plays: 2 (check)

14) 125.0 pass rating: 257.6 (check)

Score: 11 of 14 (78.6 %)

Defensive Report Card

1) Average under 6-yards per play on 1st down: 6.18 (failed)

2) Convert below 35-pct of 3rd downs: 46.7% (failed)

3) Average below 4.0 yards per rush: 5.00 YPC (failed)

4) Score below 1/3 of their possessions: 30.8% (check)

5) Keep "3 and out" series above 33%: 38.5% (check)

6) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: 5.78 YPA (check)

7) Score below 75% in red zone: 75.0% (failed)

8) Average under 30-yards per possession: 29.4 YPP (check)

9) Less than 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 38.9% (check)

10) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: 3 TD’s / 3 turnover (check)

11) TD ratio of 1 every 30 plays: 24.0 (failed)

12) Less than 8 impact plays allowed: 8 (failed)

13) No more than 1 big play allowed: 1 allowed (check)

14) Pass rating below 125.0 allowed: 110.4 (check)

Score: 8 of 14 (57.1 %)

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): 35.7 (failed)

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): 0.0 (check)

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): 0.0 (failed)

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): 23.7 (failed)

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): 22.0 (failed)

6) PAT’s (100%): 100.0 (check)

7) FG Pct (75% or above): 2 for 2 (check)

* Bonus point for 4 touchbacks

Score: 4 of 7 (57.1%)

* Remember the key is to pass 50.0% of the categories.

* 1st time this season all 3 phases had a passing grade. :cheer:

War Eagle!

What a 180 from last week! WDE

We played a 2-5 team...

This is still the same team. I dont see much improvement anywhere except at QB.

Hey! PowerI is back!

What a 180 from last week! WDE

We played a 2-5 team...

Didn't you hear Chizik? It's the best 2-5 team in the country. ;)

And speaking of records, we're 6-3 (4-2). It hasn't been pretty but I'm going to enjoy it for now.

As for improvements, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but to me, Freeman is flying to the ball, the secondary looks better (Florence, etc. actually playing the ball), special teams seemed to get back on track and as you noted, consistency at QB.

Bottom line, we have a legit chance to beat UGA and coupled with an expected win over Samford, we'd be 8-3 going into the Iron Bowl. Again, it is what it is but for now, I'll enjoy where we are with some cautious optimism for what's ahead.

As for improvements, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but to me, Freeman is flying to the ball, the secondary looks better (Florence, etc. actually playing the ball), special teams seemed to get back on track and as you noted, consistency at QB.

Defense was still pathetic for a large part of the game, OL was doing nothing for too much of the game.

We played a horrible team and lost all momentum after an early shelling...they were able to recover in the 2nd half; but the same obvious flaws were present once again. Ole Miss came into the game ranked in the 100's in rushing offense and we made them look like 2010 Oregon playing against the Pac10 for half the game.

I'm not defending any of that ... however, I'm not dwelling on it either --- especially given the reality of the situation and the positives which have been noted.

Any team can have success against anyone for a time. UM's success was from about 4 min to go in the 1st through the end of the second quarter. The rest of the game was AU. The OL and DL were bad during UM's success, but were pretty good the rest of the time.

Anyone that believes the defense has not improved in every phase is just not watching the games. We're a young team. What that means is they have a tendency to forget stuff they worked on earlier if it's not emphasized during game week. Out if sight, out of mind. I thought it was evident we spent time this week working on defending the downfield passing game. Result: solid coverage and sloppy run support. Not surprising from a young team.

We're getting better. The defense started poorly, but they dominated the second half and set up the offense with turnovers. Good team win tonight.

Defense was still pathetic for a large part of the game, OL was doing nothing for too much of the game.

We played a horrible team and lost all momentum after an early shelling...they were able to recover in the 2nd half; but the same obvious flaws were present once again. Ole Miss came into the game ranked in the 100's in rushing offense and we made them look like 2010 Oregon playing against the Pac10 for half the game.

Defense had a bad second quarter, except for the garbage TD at the end Ole Siss was shutout in the second half. OL also had a bad second quarter but thier first, third and fourth quarters made up for it. Clint looked great tonight, more TDs than incomplete passes. Dyer ran for 170 yds, OMac recovered from an early fumble and ran hard at the end. Our receivers didn't have any drops, Blake was back and made an impact. Lutz played his heart out as he always does. DBs played their best game. Freeman flew around and made plays all over the field.

Now, how can you honestly say we didn't play a good game?

Anyone that believes the defense has not improved in every phase is just not watching the games. We're a young team. What that means is they have a tendency to forget stuff they worked on earlier if it's not emphasized during game week. Out if sight, out of mind. I thought it was evident we spent time this week working on defending the downfield passing game. Result: solid coverage and sloppy run support. Not surprising from a young team.

We're getting better. The defense started poorly, but they dominated the second half and set up the offense with turnovers. Good team win tonight.

Bingo!

Also, this Ole Miss team actually led Arkansas at halftime and played it close against Bama for a half. Considering that, I think we recovered well and dominated the second half, something both Bama and Arkansas did as well. Ole Miss is desperate for a win and it shows in the way they play, but they simply don't have the talent to keep up.

Agree the team is clearly getting better, on both sides (notwithstanding an occasional letdown, which is to be expected from the youngest team in America). Getting Blake back was a major shot in the arm, and far beyond just his individual protection - you can see that his presence and leadership energizes the whole offense.

That said, the lack of offenive production on first down (3.73 yds per play, vs. 6.0 threshold) is still troubling. I think there was a sack in there that may have skewed things a bit, and I'm happy to know we're reducing Dyer's negative plays, but still . . . We CANNOT play behind the chains and expect to beat Georgia - or even compete with uat. I don't think we completed a pass on 1st down Saturday. I remember only two attempts - one incompletion, and the above-mentioned sack. If my memory's bad, please correct me.

Praying that CGM is using the off week to examine tendencies / evaluate situations. Hopefully, he now has the confidence in Moseley (and the OL, and the WRs, with Blake back) to mix things up a bit more. I know we can beat Georgia with Dyer / our running game, but not if we're predictable.

Archived