Mizzou prepares for SEC football

RunInRed

Alden outlines MU’s preparations for SEC football in letter

By TEREZ A. PAYLOR

The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA -- Change is certainly on the horizon for Missouri football, which is a point athletic director Mike Alden hammered home in a letter to fans released by the school Monday afternoon.

With the Tigers’ move to the Southeastern Conference approaching in July, Alden provided insight Monday on topics ranging from ticket prices to uniforms and stadium updates as the school attempts to “step up” and improve “in all areas.”

Alden said MU will be raising football ticket prices “across the board” with the exception of faculty and students. How much Missouri will do so is unclear, but the letter states the prices will place Missouri in the middle of the pack of the SEC.

He also said the artificial turf surface at Memorial Stadium will be replaced this summer at a cost of $1.5 million. SEC logos will be added, the Tiger logo at midfield will be larger, and the diamonds in the end zones will read “Mizzou” instead of “Missouri.”

The design of the new field hints at another big change. The school’s official rebranding will be unveiled during the Tigers’ spring football game April 14. Alden said Missouri has been working with Nike for more than 18 months on unifying the gold and letter font in all uniforms to make it consistent across all sports.

Other changes are coming to Memorial Stadium. Alden said the MU band will move from the south end zone to the southeast corner of the student section and the school will increase visiting teams’ ticket allotment from 3,800 to 6,000. And because of SEC rules, Missouri fans will not be allowed to exit and re-enter during the game as they have been able to in years past.

Alden also said Mark Alnutt, Missouri’s senior associate athletics director, is working to finalize the 2012 football schedule. The Tigers currently have 11 games scheduled, and need one more. Alden has said in the past he hopes to have the schedule done by March 1.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/20/3441316/alden-outlines-mus-preparations.html

They will probably be ready to bring it. Mizzou will be a severe pain in basketball, Kentucky may get some actual in-conference competition.

Sounds like they are just "replacing" the artificial surface they have.

The SEC is going from 10 natural grass fields with Arky and Ole Miss using plastic to 11 grass fields with Arky, Ole Miss, and Missouri using the plastic stuff. I really wish the SEC would just ban the plastic grass.

The SEC is going from 10 natural grass fields with Arky and Ole Miss using plastic to 11 grass fields with Arky, Ole Miss, and Missouri using the plastic stuff. I really wish the SEC would just ban the plastic grass.

It ultimately comes down to cost. Fieldturf fields cost more to install but annual upkeep is way less costly than natural turf. They also hold up better under adverse weather (rain/snow.) I live in the Pacific NW and rarely see a natural turf playing surface anymore -- just about every HS stadium & community fields have gone to Fieldturf. Fieldturf also is very versatile as it permits multiple sport fields to be lined out on the same surface (e.g. football, soccer, lacrosse & baseball.) I've seen one safety study at the NFL level proclaiming more injury incidents on Fieldturf, but at the college and HS levels the studies conducted have been favorable to Fieldturf: Lank

It ultimately comes down to cost. Fieldturf fields cost more to install but annual upkeep is way less costly than natural turf. They also hold up better under adverse weather (rain/snow.) I live in the Pacific NW and rarely see a natural turf playing surface anymore -- just about every HS stadium & community fields have gone to Fieldturf. Fieldturf also is very versatile as it permits multiple sport fields to be lined out on the same surface (e.g. football, soccer, lacrosse & baseball.) I've seen one safety study at the NFL level proclaiming more injury incidents on Fieldturf, but at the college and HS levels the studies conducted have been favorable to Fieldturf: Lank

Yes, it's cost that really matters and in some areas like the Big Ten, grass stops growing and they have a mud bath in November. One of the reason Notre Dame football has not fared well lately is they refuse to get rid of the natural grass at their stadium. The SEC does not have that weather problem. The grass fields are all dedicated to football and look good even into December.

Yes, it's cost that really matters and in some areas like the Big Ten, grass stops growing and they have a mud bath in November. One of the reason Notre Dame football has not fared well lately is they refuse to get rid of the natural grass at their stadium. The SEC does not have that weather problem. The grass fields are all dedicated to football and look good even into December.

Maybe not long: Brain Kelley wants a Jumbotron and Fieldturf

Maybe not long: Brain Kelley wants a Jumbotron and Fieldturf

...apparently so does "Brian". :poke:

...apparently so does "Brian". :poke:

Hah! That's what I get for typing 22 wpm. Better slow down.

that's all?? and you still screw it up? :lol: I don't think I could slow down that much to only type 22 wpm. :big:

From limited personal experience, it feels great on your ankles and knees. Every bit as good as grass. The huge downer is the way the infill kicks up in your eyes. It hurts like hell, and it happens pretty much every time you hit the turf.

I hate, and I do mean, HATE feild turf with a passion. Most annoying surface to play on EVER.

Just curious... Why?

My experience is that its awesome to play on. I mean it isn't ideal for something like soccer but for football? Love it.

Archived