$90 millions Arena gets us the results for both lady and man's bb so far?

aucat

Clearly you don't follow basketball close enough or you wouldn't make a stupid post like this. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time responding to it.

Barbee inherited a total mess and whoever gets the women's job, while not inheriting quite the mess Barbee did, will have to upgrade the talent level several notches.

Improvement may not be as fast as we'd like but you can already see the men's team getting better. Getting a replacement coach on the women's side was a step in the right direction there.

The arena is nice, now we all have to give improved recruiting time to have its effect.

ok...I'll play.

What do you suggest? Clean house? Fortner has already retired, do we fire Barbee? I mean, he will have been here a whole 2 years on March 24th. Maybe get rid of Jacobs? He did hire Barbee. Should Chizik be held accountable to some extent?

Let's hear your thoughts.

2012-2013 is a big year for Barbee; he'll be working mostly with his recruits (other than Sullivan, Chubb). Not saying we're immediately going to leap to the NCAAs, but hopefuly we won't be having this conversation again next March.

Chubb just doesn't have the skillset to be the starting 5 man on an NCAA tournament bound team. The size is there, and there have been some flashes, but...it hasn't come together. Of the 68 teams in the NCAA tournament, what starting center do you see Chubb having a favorable matchup against? It sounds cliche at this point, but its true: an upgrade in talent is necessary.

2012-2013 is a big year for Barbee; he'll be working mostly with his recruits (other than Sullivan, Chubb). Not saying we're immediately going to leap to the NCAAs, but hopefuly we won't be having this conversation again next March.

If we are, then the conversation we have the NEXT March might not include Barbee.

Chubb just doesn't have the skillset to be the starting 5 man on an NCAA tournament bound team. The size is there, and there have been some flashes, but...it hasn't come together. Of the 68 teams in the NCAA tournament, what starting center do you see Chubb having a favorable matchup against? It sounds cliche at this point, but its true: an upgrade in talent is necessary.

Disagree. Not saying he's an all star, by any stretch, but Chubb has shown he can score the ball, even against the likes of Anthony Davis. He struggles with his hands, sometimes, but just as often passes hit him in the feet. Biggest issues for him are consistency (no reason he shouldn't average 7-8+ boards per game; he'll have to without KG) and avoiding cheap, stupid fouls. If he can stay in the game (literally and figuratively speaking), we can win with him down low.

Disagree. Not saying he's an all star, by any stretch, but Chubb has shown he can score the ball, even against the likes of Anthony Davis. He struggles with his hands, sometimes, but just as often passes hit him in the feet. Biggest issues for him are consistency (no reason he shouldn't average 7-8+ boards per game; he'll have to without KG) and avoiding cheap, stupid fouls. If he can stay in the game (literally and figuratively speaking), we can win with him down low.

Valid points, but...as you said there's no excuse for a center of his height to not average at least 7 boards a game. This is college where there are guys playing center that are 6'9, not like in the NBA. Its frustrating to see Chubb make a coordinated play (catch a bad pass at his feet, catch and turn, 2 dribbles and shoot a pretty jumper and score) then 2 possessions later force up an awful shot that goes behind the backboard...like he did against Long Beach St earlier in the year. I guess I'm more wanting him to just "put it together".

Its not hard to play smart basketball though, speaking in regards to the whole team. Bad possessions, not valuing the basketball, etc...IQ can be hammered home all day, but it won't be absorbed and translate onto the court it seems.

Archived