Mo Claiborne vs Wonderlic...

Sandstone

Mo Claiborne reportedly scored a 4 on the Wonderlic. Ouch. Luckily, he's a freak athlete and playing man-corner is one place where you can hide a low IQ sometimes. But still...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

Bammer has a bunch of guys that scored twos and threes. The REC pays lots of money to keep that a secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test

An average football player usually scores around 20 points, Wonderlic, Inc. claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate.[15] Furthermore, when the test was given to miscellaneous people of various occupations, it was observed that the average participant scored a 24. Examples of scores from everyday professions include:

Historian – 36

Chemist – 31

Physicist – 48

Programmer – 29

Journalist – 26

Sales – 24

Bank teller – 22

Clerical worker – 21

Security guard – 17

Warehouse worker – 15

Basically its a simple and quick IQ test. The fact that it was leaked to the press is interesting and troubling.

All the NFL teams would have a right to see it I guess as part of the draft process, Why the public would need to see it is questionable.

Somebody thinks the IQ test score is the same as how fast a player can run, the public has some right to know both? Next they will start leaking medical histories.

It's very troubling that this was leaked. If a kid runs a slower than expected 40, people say "well that is surprising". When a kid scores a low score, people say "he is obviously stupid and /school/ must have been covering up for him/fixing grades", etc. My son has some struggles with timed tests, but he's very intelligent otherwise. If he was given a 12 minute test, particularly if he thought his draft position was riding on it...I'm sure he would struggle.

I re-read what I posted above and hope it wasn't interpreted as a slam on him, it was more of a "I hope this doesn't cost him" post. Even if he has a learning disability or a low IQ relative to do fractions or geometry, I still think he'll be in the NFL for the next decade as a great player. The question really becomes "how will he manage his money?"

The thing to me is how much stock is put into these scores? If I was a sure first rounder I would tank the test and be done with it and show off my talent on film and workouts.

Depends on the position re: how much stock is put into the scores. Several teams also use very in-depth personality tests and are evaluated by psychologists, etc.

Claiborne also has a learning disabilty.

It had been reported that Claiborne had a learning disability but his agent, Bus Cook, denied it, USA Today reported.

If its true, I hope he has good walking around smarts. Makes up for the other . If he has a good agent and a good money manager to help him, he'll be ok.

Archived