2013 3* S Lemond Johnson (Tennessee signee)

RunInRed

Because every single one of our defensive back commitments are considered projects or diamonds in the rough. Lemond Johnson would just add to that. I can understand taking one or two of those players along with 1 or 2 highly thought of defensive backs, but all of them being under the radar is sort of disappointing

Look, similar to Erique Florence, he has been forced into the QB position because he is the best athlete on his team.  He plays QB, RB, WR, Safety and probably some CB.  If he is allowed to play safety only during his senior year, look out.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because every single one of our defensive back commitments are considered projects or diamonds in the rough. Lemond Johnson would just add to that. I can understand taking one or two of those players along with 1 or 2 highly thought of defensive backs, but all of them being under the radar is sort of disappointing

Look, similar to Erique Florence, he has been forced into the QB position because he is the best athlete on his team.  He plays QB, RB, WR, Safety and probably some CB.  If he is allowed to play safety only during his senior year, look out.

THIS.

[/quoteWell, why dont we wait and see how he does his senior year before taking his commitment? He doesnt exaclty have a bunch of major football programs beating down his door right now

[/quoteWell, why dont we wait and see how he does his senior year before taking his commitment? He doesnt exaclty have a bunch of major football programs beating down his door right now

It's June so nobody knows how many offers he will have at the end of the day. With that said Rivals shows an offer from LSU and best I can recall they have had some pretty dang good safeties come out of there the last few years.

It is still disappointing to me especially when the defensive backs we signed last year were all projects except Josh Holsley and the defensive back we signed every year under Chizik have been projects except the year we signed Therezie Robenson, Jonathan Rose, and Erique Florence all in the same year.  Signing all those projects shows as well, because we dont exaclty have the best secondary in the world

We can't compare this years DB recruiting to any other year because BVG wasn't the main talent evaluator those years.    You may be right that Roof and Chiz had yet to prove they could recruit and coach a shut-down secondary, but we're in Van Gorder's world now and we'll just have to wait and see if he still knows how to pick a winner.

It is still disappointing to me especially when the defensive backs we signed last year were all projects except Josh Holsley and the defensive back we signed every year under Chizik have been projects except the year we signed Therezie Robenson, Jonathan Rose, and Erique Florence all in the same year.  Signing all those projects shows as well, because we dont exaclty have the best secondary in the world

This isn't exactly a fair statement, we have no idea what we have in the secondary for this year under Van Gorder and Martinez. Could be the best D in the SEC, and young, giving those projects time to develop.

I get your argument, and agree there is some validity there, all depends on how you look at that glass....

We are bringing back so many defensive backs that we have plenty of time for last year's class and this year's class to develop. If we bring in either Matthews or Bell and Johnson, I will be quite happy and I think the coaches will as well. I'm pumped to see what Van Gorder and Martinez can do with Therezie, Davis, Florence, McNeal, Rose, Whitehead, and the rest. That doesn't even account for TBell's possible return.

You really have zero clue what you are talking about, do you?

You left off Whitehead from the EF, RT and JR class. With that said last years Thorpe award winner was a lowly 3 star with his only SEC offer from LSU. Our best DB is a former 3 star. Carlos Rogers was a 3 star that won the Thorpe. Arkansas entire roster is made up of 3 star talent so that shows that recruiting is an inexact science. I know it is cliche but the coaches see something they like and have offered him this early so until proven otherwise I will continue to trust their judgement.

Its hard for me to take oxford's post seriously. I cant tell if he is whining orjust trying to make Auburn's  recruiting efforts look bad. Either way,he comes off looking utterly clueless

Its hard for me to take oxford's post seriously. I cant tell if he is whining orjust trying to make Auburn's  recruiting efforts look bad. Either way,he comes off looking utterly clueless

I know, but it looks like oxford is a competitor.....I mean, all he wants is for us to dominate in recruiting rankings.  But Alabama and Auburn have seen their share of 4* & 5* busts.  And with a legit NFL talent evaluator in BVG and a former SEC defensive coordinator in Martinez, I want who they want.

If our D-line is camped out in our opponent's backfield, and I think they will be, our secondary will shine.

If our D-line is camped out in our opponent's backfield, and I think they will be, our secondary will shine.

As was said last week. With the from7 7 we are getting you could put Golf, Pops, and my cripple self back there and not give up a thing.

I know, but it looks like oxford is a competitor.....I mean, all he wants is for us to dominate in recruiting rankings.  But Alabama and Auburn have seen their share of 4* & 5* busts.  And with a legit NFL talent evaluator in BVG and a former SEC defensive coordinator in Martinez, I want who they want.

I'm sorta coming to his defense here, in that we appear to be going for 4 and 5* talent at just about every other position this year.  Our two corner commits are not highly rated, but the commitments were accepted and reserved.  I, too, am disappointed, because I felt we had a shot at two great corners, neither of which are committed right now.  But, with that said in support of oxford, I am willing to go the "trust the coaches" route.  Coaches Martinez and Van Gorder said they didn't look at stars when evaluating;  with our DB commits, I see they are being true to their word.

I'm sorta coming to his defense here, in that we appear to be going for 4 and 5* talent at just about every other position this year.  Our two corner commits are not highly rated, but the commitments were accepted and reserved.  I, too, am disappointed, because I felt we had a shot at two great corners, neither of which are committed right now.  But, with that said in support of oxford, I am willing to go the "trust the coaches" route.  Coaches Martinez and Van Gorder said they didn't look at stars when evaluating;  with our DB commits, I see they are being true to their word.

Guys. Please don't be disappointed. Remember BVG's track record as an evaluator and what he saw in players like Pollack and Thurman who were not highly rated at UGA. I say this because I have seen from a reliable person that Johnson is the #2 Safety on our coaches board. That means he is either ahead of Bell or Matthews in our coach's eyes. It has been said many times but bares repeating here. Trust the coaches!

Guys. Please don't be disappointed. Remember BVG's track record as an evaluator and what he saw in players like Pollack and Thurman who were not highly rated at UGA. I say this because I have seen from a reliable person that Johnson is the #2 Safety on our coaches board. That means he is either ahead of Bell or Matthews in our coach's eyes. It has been said many times but bares repeating here. Trust the coaches!

I do, ellitor.  See my post.  I'm hurting because my kid (Jalen Ramsey) didn't get a look, that's all.

I do, ellitor.  See my post.  I'm hurting because my kid (Jalen Ramsey) didn't get a look, that's all.

It's cool Pops. My post was for the Auburn family as a whole.

I feel like defensive back is one position on the field that a lot of players might have the tools for, but the guys that rise to the top in the long run are the guys that are the most coachable, and get access to the best coaching.  You don't have to be a big guy to be a good DB.  That means the position is accessible to a lot more people than say DT or OT.  You don't need great hands like a WR.  You typically don't have to even be the biggest hitter (all though I love DBs that lay the wood).  All you really need to be successful is good speed, some good hips, and a willingness to tackle guys your size or bigger.  Most of the other variables that separate the mediocre corners from the great are in their level of coaching and that individual's determination to compete.  I think we will see our DB improve dramatically this season, and going forward, we should be lights out.

My biggest problem is taking all these unknown guys so early. What if other guys emerge? What if these guys struggle next year? I  dont see why we cant wait before taking these guys commitment. It is not like they have a lot of major football programs beating down their door

T.J Davis had a lot of big offers as many as Holsey.  I know we're not getting the highly touted 4or 5 star players but the players that have committed are physical and can make plays.  That's something to like.  Trust in CVG and CWM, they know how to evaluate secondary talent.

T.J Davis had a lot of big offers as many as Holsey.  I know we're not getting the highly touted 4or 5 star players but the players that have committed are physical and can make plays.  That's something to like.  Trust in CVG and CWM, they know how to evaluate secondary talent.

^^^I agree with this! Gotta show some faith in this coaching staff and one way of doin it is to never question their decisions! :wareagle:

Exactly.  We only signed 3 DBs last year, so when you say all were projects except JH, that is false.  I don't know about JJ yet, but TJ Davis is 6'1" and had about 50 offers.  That tells me more than his 3 star rating.

My biggest problem is taking all these unknown guys so early. What if other guys emerge? What if these guys struggle next year? I  dont see why we cant wait before taking these guys commitment. It is not like they have a lot of major football programs beating down their door

Ratings services are fun, but when I tell you that our coaches don't give a damn what ratings services rate these kids....they truly don't. TJ Davis, as someone else mentioned, was very very very high on the coaches' boards last year, however he was a 3* on many sites.

Lemond Johnson very well might be the same type of scenario. One thing I can tell you for sure, if the coaches aren't sold on a guy, they will not accept him this early. If they have accepted a commit from someone this early, they really want him.

Archived