2013 3* S Lemond Johnson (Tennessee signee)

RunInRed

Jonesy made a great post on TD earlier today I'll quote it for ya'll

If the staff didn't contact him to say anything other than he can't enroll early then its pretty clear to me that the staff didn't really see the kid in our future plans for the defense. You a**holes b**tch and gripe about the sort of players we have on the team currently yet cry when we lose commitments from the staff that recruited the players you're b**tching about.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still blows my mind we let Trooper go

its like people forgot what our recruiting was like before he came here

Yep. Many great seasons, SEC Championships, great wins and undefeated teams. It's my opinion that having recruits and players on both sides of the ball more loyal to a WR coach than a head coach, team or school was a large part of the 3-9 season that Trooper helped forge. It's interesting that with his recruiting prowess and his ability to have great athletes follow him anywhere that no team has offered him a job.

Top notch student with multiple offers. We want kids to "stick with their commitment". Then we wishy-washy around shooting him some line of BS about an early enrollment problem instead of manning up and saying the new staff doesn't want him. We have three "use 'em or lose 'em" early enrollment slots. If we don't fill all three, you can add Roster Management Blunder to the other things being said about this decision to drift away from Lemond Johnson.

Very disappointing.

If he did not fit the new system then it is in his best interest to go to a program where he does fit and will get a chance to play. They do that to spare the feeling and reputation of the player. More than likely they told the kid he didn't fit their system, but publicly stated what they said to not embarrass the kid. It sounds better for him if he made the choice to switch.

Yep. Many great seasons, SEC Championships, great wins and undefeated teams. It's my opinion that having recruits and players on both sides of the ball more loyal to a WR coach than a head coach, team or school was a large part of the 3-9 season that Trooper helped forge. It's interesting that with his recruiting prowess and his ability to have great athletes follow him anywhere that no team has offered him a job.

How do you KNOW that NO team has offered him a Job? How do you know he is even looking for a Job? If he takes a job now, he would essentially be working for FREE as whatever he makes on his new job gets deducted from the amount AU must pay him each month until the end of his contract,

If I were him, I would be enjoying life for a while.

How do you KNOW that NO team has offered him a Job? How do you know he is even looking for a Job? If he takes a job now, he would essentially be working for FREE as whatever he makes on his new job gets deducted from the amount AU must pay him each month until the end of his contract,

I don't know if he has not had a job offer - just as you don't know. If Mr. Taylor would rather sit than advance his career that is his business. My rebuttal to you post was based on your statement that "its like people forgot what our recruiting was like before he came here." I have been watching Auburn Football since the 1960's and have seen many a fine team fielded without Mr. Taylor's assistance. I realize the firing of Trooper Taylor is much like the Petrino question. Either you are really for it or really against it. I wanted Trooper gone because I felt he was a big part of the problem. You wanted to keep Trooper and that's fine. That is your opinion. Either way removing every trace of the old coaching staff greatly increased Gus's chance to succeed.

If the staff didn't contact him to say anything other than he can't enroll early then its pretty clear to me that the staff didn't really see the kid in our future plans for the defense. You a**holes b**tch and gripe about the sort of players we have on the team currently yet cry when we lose commitments from the staff that recruited the players you're b**tching about.

That comment is totally off-base when discussing Lemond Johnson. The kid is a team leader, great student and known as a top flight citizen. Trying to assign character issues to Lemond is simply grasping at straws trying to excuse the inexcusable.. Somebody spent too much time on the Tigerpoop site is what I'm thinkin'.

That comment is totally off-base when discussing Lemond Johnson. The kid is a team leader, great student and known as a top flight citizen. Trying to assign character issues to Lemond is simply grasping at straws trying to excuse the inexcusable.. Somebody spent too much time on the Tigerpoop site is what I'm thinkin'.

I don't know the entire situation but we sound alot like Jerry Jones or the BOT trying to proclaim what and who we feel is best for the team.

It appears he wasn't going to fit and maybe some early enrollee JUCO guys (that are desperately needed) will. At any rate Gus says the O is in pretty good shape and he has a plan for the D. I for one, am looking forward to seeing the plan!

Unless you personally know Lemond then don't assign his character to him. I personally don't know him, so I don't get to say he was a team leader unless I was on his HS team or was one of his coaches. As for a student, I suppose it is necessary to be a teacher or parent if you want to be sure. So unless one of those applies; don't jump on someone who does the same thing you do.

I don't know if he has not had a job offer - just as you don't know. If Mr. Taylor would rather sit than advance his career that is his business. My rebuttal to you post was based on your statement that "its like people forgot what our recruiting was like before he came here." I have been watching Auburn Football since the 1960's and have seen many a fine team fielded without Mr. Taylor's assistance. I realize the firing of Trooper Taylor is much like the Petrino question. Either you are really for it or really against it. I wanted Trooper gone because I felt he was a big part of the problem. You wanted to keep Trooper and that's fine. That is your opinion. Either way removing every trace of the old coaching staff greatly increased Gus's chance to succeed.

That was not my statement about people forgetting what recruiting was like before TT came. I would say people tend to forget what recruiting was like before the last entire staff came. (long snappers walk late was what they said when Tubbs beat out central FL for a long snapper because we missed on someone else).

I have no idea whether TT should have been retained or not. The admin may not have allowed CGM to keep him. There could have been NCAA issues that required he be gone. That is Gus's call and I have to trust Gus, he knows a lot more than I do. However, it is also Gus's responsibility to replace TT with someone who can recruit just as well. If he does not, the same crowd that always wants to fire the coach well be after CGM.

You see, many of those folks who are saying we can recruit 3 star players and coach them up to the level of 4 and 5 star guys are the SAME ones who were applauding us offering full four-year schollys. They said is was the RIGHT Thing to do and we could offer 4 year scholarships and not process the dead weight and still compete with UAT.

When the record went to 3-8, those folks were not as proud of that strategy. Same thing with recruiting, many are arguing now that stars and rankings don't matter, it is all coaching. Trust me, we go 5-6 and that flaky crowd will be bitching about recruiting and would accept TT back in a heartbeat.

Did y'all ever think that maybe after their evaluations, the new staff didn't think he was as good as the old staff thought ? Calm down folks, let the man work his plan.

i think there could be a good chance that he did not meet their criteria ...

if the coaches said "lemond, we will honor your commitment to Auburn and the previous staff and a scholly is here for you. you are a good kid and great athlete, but you dont meet what we have in mind in our future plans. we worry that you wil fall between the cracks of where we are going. if you want to remain committed to Auburn and be an EE then we welcome you, but understand finding playing time may be tough."

i am ok with this ^^^^^^.

but if they simply said "sorry kid" ... then that simply sux. we will never know both sides to the story. i am just going to hope it was an amicable and agreeable split.

i think there could be a good chance that he did not meet their criteria ...

if the coaches said "lemond, we will honor your commitment to Auburn and the previous staff and a scholly is here for you. you are a good kid and great athlete, but you dont meet what we have in mind in our future plans. we worry that you wil fall between the cracks of where we are going. if you want to remain committed to Auburn and be an EE then we welcome you, but understand finding playing time may be tough."

i am ok with this ^^^^^^.

but if they simply said "sorry kid" ... then that simply sux. we will never know both sides to the story. i am just going to hope it was an amicable and agreeable split.

There is nothing wrong with saying "sorry kid" with this much time left in recruiting. He landed on his feet just fine. Doing that the last week or even day of signing is bad, but our coaches gave the kid plenty of time to secure a spot at a good school.

That was not my statement about people forgetting what recruiting was like before TT came. I would say people tend to forget what recruiting was like before the last entire staff came. (long snappers walk late was what they said when Tubbs beat out central FL for a long snapper because we missed on someone else).

I have no idea whether TT should have been retained or not. The admin may not have allowed CGM to keep him. There could have been NCAA issues that required he be gone. That is Gus's call and I have to trust Gus, he knows a lot more than I do. However, it is also Gus's responsibility to replace TT with someone who can recruit just as well. If he does not, the same crowd that always wants to fire the coach well be after CGM.

You see, many of those folks who are saying we can recruit 3 star players and coach them up to the level of 4 and 5 star guys are the SAME ones who were applauding us offering full four-year schollys. They said is was the RIGHT Thing to do and we could offer 4 year scholarships and not process the dead weight and still compete with UAT.

When the record went to 3-8, those folks were not as proud of that strategy. Same thing with recruiting, many are arguing now that stars and rankings don't matter, it is all coaching. Trust me, we go 5-6 and that flaky crowd will be bitching about recruiting and would accept TT back in a heartbeat.

I concur with most of what you are saying. I didn't completely understand the long snapper reference though. I too feel that Gus is both smart and competent and obviously has the facts while you and I do not. Hence if he did not retain him there was a reason. You are also correct about the 4 year offers and about fickle fans. I see it here when people want to hit the moral high ground on many fronts but in the business of college football those decisions often mean 8-4 at best. Vandy will not consistently beat Alabama because the business models of their programs are different. You cannot recruit "A" students who are all Eagle Scouts and win the SEC. IMO the 4 year plan was done as a recruiting tool. It was thought it would be good for business - offering something that Alabama did not. Now we live with it.

How about this. Gus was hired a little over 2 weeks ago. And this is not necessarily a "Pro-Gus, tow the line idea". But I say Gus gets a pass on this recruiting class. We just came off of our worst season in my lifetime of 36 years. We just completely changed gears as far as philosophies. An entirely new coaching staff. A whole new identity. For any of us to realistically to think the relationships these recruits had with the previous staff that occurred over a period of a year or more can be miraculously revamped to the new staff is dumb. We knew this sort of thing was going to more than likely happen whether a coaching change happened or not given the type of season we just flopped out. There isn't going to be a magic fix. It will take a year or so IMO to get back to seriously competing. So far Gus has done what most of us wanted. He cleaned house and is taking charge of the situation as best he can. We'll win some recruits over and we'll lose some. You people HAVE to let this play out without all the bitching and whining. Some of you guys are funny in that youre already questioning this coach and he's only been here 2 weeks. In the wake of the worst season ever and the biggest cleaning house we've had in years. Cut the guy some slack this year.....GUS DID NOT CREATE THIS HORRENDOUS SITUATION WE FIND OURSELVES IN. HE'S TRYING TO SALVAGE WHAT HE CAN AND GETTING OTHERS THAT WANNA PLAY HERE TO COVER HIS NUMBERS. He gets a pass this year as far as I'm concerned. WDE.

Quote:" IMO the 4 year plan was done as a recruiting tool. It was thought it would be good for business - offering something that Alabama did not. Now we live with it."

That's not how the four year thing came about. Dr. Gouge did that without even informing Coach Chizik. Something about Auburn taking "the high road". Think back to signing day 2012, if you were watching the press conference on TV. Someone in the press asked Chizik about 4-year scholarships and he said we didn't offer them. Then the compliance officer, McGlynn, stepped forward, had a private word with Chizik and then Chizik said something like "Well, I guess we are offering four-year scholarships".

Later it turned out that Gouge made that decision and I think it's binding on all scholarship sports.

Quote:" IMO the 4 year plan was done as a recruiting tool. It was thought it would be good for business - offering something that Alabama did not. Now we live with it."

That's not how the four year thing came about. Dr. Gouge did that without even informing Coach Chizik. Something about Auburn taking "the high road". Think back to signing day 2012, if you were watching the press conference on TV. Someone in the press asked Chizik about 4-year scholarships and he said we didn't offer them. Then the compliance officer, McGlynn, stepped forward, had a private word with Chizik and then Chizik said something like "Well, I guess we are offering four-year scholarships".

Later it turned out that Gouge made that decision and I think it's binding on all scholarship sports.

Even though 4 year schollies are still nul and void by the same things a 1 year scholly is. It is basically a glorified PR move.

Even though 4 year schollies are still nul and void by the same things a 1 year scholly is. It is basically a glorified PR move.

Agreed. There are more escape clauses in the four year deal than holes in a swiss cheese.

Agreed. There are more escape clauses in the four year deal than holes in a swiss cheese.

You're right Mikey. People think we are obligated by these scholarships to give them 4 years on the team as a scholarship player. Like E said it is a glorified PR move for football at least.

I didn't realize that was for all sports Mikey. Do you got a link? (I believe you just want to read more in depth about it) That could be a huge deal for smaller sports that juggle their scholarships

You're right Mikey. People think we are obligated by these scholarships to give them 4 years on the team as a scholarship player. Like E said it is a glorified PR move for football at least.

I didn't realize that was for all sports Mikey. Do you got a link? (I believe you just want to read more in depth about it) That could be a huge deal for smaller sports that juggle their scholarships

I don't have any link. I'm going by what was said in a press release concerning Auburn athletics and Dr. Gouge's ideas. That was back in February or March. The way the four-year deal was presented at the time led me to believe it applied to all sports, though that might not have been specifically spelled out.

Johnson said that one major factor in his decision was his plan to enroll in school in January, something Johnson had planned to do at Auburn but was told by new head coach Gus Malzahn would not be an option...Gus knows what he is looking for. Coach apparently didn't want him in early.

How about this. Gus was hired a little over 2 weeks ago. And this is not necessarily a "Pro-Gus, tow the line idea". But I say Gus gets a pass on this recruiting class. We just came off of our worst season in my lifetime of 36 years. We just completely changed gears as far as philosophies. An entirely new coaching staff. A whole new identity. For any of us to realistically to think the relationships these recruits had with the previous staff that occurred over a period of a year or more can be miraculously revamped to the new staff is dumb. We knew this sort of thing was going to more than likely happen whether a coaching change happened or not given the type of season we just flopped out. There isn't going to be a magic fix. It will take a year or so IMO to get back to seriously competing. So far Gus has done what most of us wanted. He cleaned house and is taking charge of the situation as best he can. We'll win some recruits over and we'll lose some. You people HAVE to let this play out without all the bitching and whining. Some of you guys are funny in that youre already questioning this coach and he's only been here 2 weeks. In the wake of the worst season ever and the biggest cleaning house we've had in years. Cut the guy some slack this year.....GUS DID NOT CREATE THIS HORRENDOUS SITUATION WE FIND OURSELVES IN. HE'S TRYING TO SALVAGE WHAT HE CAN AND GETTING OTHERS THAT WANNA PLAY HERE TO COVER HIS NUMBERS. He gets a pass this year as far as I'm concerned. WDE.

I'm all in with this staff but Gus Malzahn is THE guy that recruited Kiehl Frazier and although there are those on this board that think it's a symphony when KF passes gas, he was a significant reason for this year's mess. NOW Gus can show us why he went after Frazier hard for 5 years.

I'm all in with this staff but Gus Malzahn is THE guy that recruited Kiehl Frazier and although there are those on this board that think it's a symphony when KF passes gas, he was a significant reason for this year's mess. NOW Gus can show us why he went after Frazier hard for 5 years.

And I believe he will. I wouldn't write off KF just yet. Whether people agree or not, I think the first step was hiring Gus. I'm willing to bet his confidence hasi already been boosted. KF isn't horrible. He HAS shown at times that he can make tough throws. It will be interesting to see how it pans out over the spring. I for one am hoping the kid makes a comeback after the way the previous staff did him.

KF was a true Soph without a RS QB playing in a system he wasn't recruited for. Go back and watch the Arky game, despite our OL struggling badly he was moving the ball, avoiding many of the sacks that Mosely (to no fault of his own) was unable to avoid. He had one bad pick, but other than that was showing signs of growth then he either was injured or prematurely yanked. Now KF is a solid dual threat QB, but how many zone read, regular option & QB drawls were called for him? Not many. How many roll out plays were called for him? Remember when Borges was here with Campbell? He understood Jason's strengths and called plays accordingly. Spooner (the OC's name translated into English) did not do this in 2012. He called what he wanted instead of what was best suited for the QB and team.

Archived