2013 3* S Lemond Johnson (Tennessee signee)

RunInRed

My biggest problem is taking all these unknown guys so early. What if other guys emerge? What if these guys struggle next year? I  dont see why we cant wait before taking these guys commitment. It is not like they have a lot of major football programs beating down their door

:banghead:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if the 3 of farrell, newberg and niebuhr dont like him then our collection of 3 D. coordinators should pass as well ... :P

our guys have never coached any good players at the DB position ...

McFadden, Hood, Lee, Wilhite, Powers, D. Irons, Thorpe- AU DBs from the past few years who all signed NFL contracts. If I'm not mistaken, all were 3-star recruits per Rivals.

Chris Davis may soon be on that list as well.

The way I see it, if our coaches take a commit from a lesser known player this early, they probably think they have found a great prospect and want to snag him before others discover him.

While scouting services do add value, they are usually all focusing on the players that are already better known. It takes Coaches to get out there and really evaluate players to uncover the good ones before they are well known. This is especially true in the secondary positions where several of the players become well known if they are on a team with a good DL that applies pressure. It enables them to get the stats to stand out which effects their "star" status with the scouting services. Coaches are out there looking at how a player executes the fundamentals. BVG knows exactly what he is looking for in a DB and how to evaluate their talent level. Don't be surprised if some of these 3 stars earn a 4th between now and NSD.

One final note on scouting services and their ability to evaluate every player, even when they do become known. This AU player has an overall ranking of  #5 (5*) on ESPN, #14 (5*) on Rivals, #18 (5*) on 247 but is #144 (4*) on Scout. The player is DE Carl Lawson. 

One final note on scouting services and their ability to evaluate every player, even when they do become known. This AU player has an overall ranking of  #5 (5*) on ESPN, #14 (5*) on Rivals, #18 (5*) on 247 but is #144 (4*) on Scout. The player is DE Carl Lawson. 

They also have not updated their rankings since the Carolina camp in which Lawson lit it up! The other sites have updated since then.

They also have not updated their rankings since the Carolina camp in which Lawson lit it up! The other sites have updated since then.

Yah I know, they are slackers, lol. But even before the coming update, in spite of the camps they were way off on their relative evaluation of his talent. Of course our coaches were not. 

The people that say the coaches should wait before they take commits from the unranked/not highly ranked guys this early in the process will be the same ones calling for the coaches head once the kid goes elsewhere and blows up. As soon as they find out the kid wanted to be at AU it will be meltdown city. The coaches should trust their own evaluations versus the rating services or some other form like these message boards. If you want to build the team based on ratings services, lets just fire coach Luper as RC and hire MF, JH, BM, JL or better yet hire one of the subscribers from one of the ratings services to do the job. I'm mean how hard is it to look at the stars and just pick based on who has the most and who's creating the most chatter. I'm sure this fan base will support that decision.

its also early so they havn't even played their senior year of football. We havn't seen their final ranking yet so the coachs see talent and something they can work with. I imagine most of our commits will move up in ranking at the end of their senior year.

Guest EagleDamnWar

Lemond is checking out Auburn with his father and mother.  Will visit Vanderbilt and Duke before making a decision.

Keith Niebuhr ‏@KeithRIVALS

RT @jhokanson: Cooper City (Fla.) ATH Lemond Johnson commits to Auburn. @AuburnRivals

Lemond is checking out Auburn with his father and mother.  Will visit Vanderbilt and Duke before making a decision.

Here is the deal Lemond - we are running out of room.

Well then I am not going to wait. War Eagle!

317080_2141638592916_6770685_n.jpg

Lemond Johnson, ATH

Cooper City, FL

6'1 / 190 / 4.5

Offers: Boston College, Bowling Green, Connecticut, Duke, East Carolina, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, LSU, Massachusetts, Minnesota, NC State, Purdue, South Florida, Syracuse, Temple, UCF and Vanderbilt, among others.

247Sports: NR

Rivals: 3*

Scout: 3*

Great pick up! Would we still take von bell or Tray Matthews?

In my opinion, in a second. One of them at least. Bell and Matthews are both dynamic players.

Here is a kid playing out of  position in high school out of need. His ranking is basically a projection by the services at this point and time. (good size and speed)

He goes to a couple of camps to get noticed and our coaches watch him in person. We offer  and he accepts.

I am good with that and welcome him to the Plains.

I also like the thought of a former QB in high school now being a safety in college. 

Here is a kid playing out of  position in high school out of need. His ranking is basically a projection by the services at this point and time. (good size and speed)

He goes to a couple of camps to get noticed and our coaches watch him in person. We offer  and he accepts.

I am good with that and welcome him to the Plains.

I also like the thought of a former QB in high school now being a safety in college. 

Yes he will have the QB mindset playing D, deadly combination.

It should be noted that LSU offered and he had intrest from:

uat

uga

fl

fl st

ohio st

nd

.......and he went ahead and committed to us! WDE!

Archived