2014 5* RB Racean "Roc" Thomas COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!

bigbuck

From that ask.fm site via the twitter:

Can you see yourself playing for Gus and his HUNH offense? What stle of offense do you prefer the traditional or the HUNH?‎ Benny Dupree

Yeah I can see that. But I'd prefer that offense since it's similar to mine

Am I the only one that this doesn't make sense?

Don't let the "but" confuse you. He can and prefers it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, Kamryn Pettaway says Hi... I think we are sleeping on this guy. To me he's underrated. I think he will be a 5*when its all said and done. JMO..

Guys, Kamryn Pettaway says Hi... I think we are sleeping on this guy. To me he's underrated. I think he will be a 5*when its all said and done. JMO..

He may end up playing like a 5* but will not be rated a 5* out of high school. Nobody in Auburn is sleeping on him. Auburn is taking 2 RBs.

Thanks. Just commenting on this topic and the discussion between chubb and roc. I would love to get both but i think KP is just as good. JMHO. Thanks E..

Not to jump too far off topic but would it be inconceivable to sign Pettway, Roc Thomas, and possibly Adam Choice as a utility back. After watching his film at TCC I think he could potentially a larger version of what we signed with Quan Bray and T Reed. He can run the triple option like it's nobody's business! E, any others?

I am a big fan of Roc since watching the video. I have not seen Chubb video yet. I really would like Roc. He is the #1 RB in the state. We need him to get back to RBU. He can be that guy.

We're going to be RBU regardless of Roc Thomas. He would probably continue the tradition quite nicely, but Tre Mason ran for 1,000 yards last year (meaning he was nearly half the offense...*sigh*), CAP will be the workhorse this year (and I could definitely see him pulling a Rudi Johnson and going pro after a breakout year), and Peyton Barber is going to surprise a lot of people who only look at the 3 star rating he garnered due to being injured his junior season and not getting much attention from the big boys until very late in the process. Jonathan Ford will have something to say about the future at RB, as well.

That isn't to say I don't want Roc, or Chubb for that matter. You can NEVER have too many talented running backs on your roster. With two future top 5 draft pick runners on the roster injured, Tre Smith etched his name into Auburn lore by running for triple digits during his true freshman season to shock Bama in T-town in 02...and then the coaches went out and signed Brandon Jacobs from junior college the following February.

I was in tuscaloosa for that one. and honestly, nobody but the team thought they had a shot. That's why you play the game and oh yeah, that Tre Smith could play the game.....

I was there and was only 17. My dad's band was playing at a hospitality tent. I was pretty much walking around by myself in my white jersey Rob Pate gave to me just taking it in and yes knowing our backfield was banged up, we were in trouble but was still having a good time. Till later when this 20 or so year old bam walked by and looked me in the eyes and looking drunk said **** you to me i never felt so disgusted in my young life. Needless to say when I got in the game I was short of spazzing out when Tre started breaking those runs. The look of those fans shaking their heads cupping their hands was just too much for this AU fan to keep it simple. I was preaching "that 3rd string white boy" I heard about on.

WarEagle for bringing that one up (: lol

Yeah, Pettway won't get five stars. I suspect he has a very strong chance to move up to four stars, however.

And I feel comfortable that we will get two quality running backs in this class...but I wouldn't be overly certain about Roc not being one of them. I honestly believe Nick Saban is going to start seeing his clout diminish more and more over the next few months and years, as Malzahn starts proving himself as a head coach in the SEC.

The thing about Gus is that it's not a matter of believing in him simply being a good coach. The guy is a certifiable genius. And he has been successful EVERYWHERE. It isn't just his system that works, although that certainly has something to do with it. It's his analytical ability and intellect that make it so easy to believe in him. Everyone remembers the West Virginia game in 09 for the monsoon that delayed it, and the resiliency of the student body for sticking around in spite of it...but what I remember about that game is being ecstatic about having a coach who could make adjustments on the fly to counter what the other team was doing. We outscored them 21-3 to close out the game and win by 11. And of course we all remember the night and day difference between the first quarter and a half of the 2010 Iron Bowl and the final 37 minutes of it.

Thus, I have every confidence that the recruiting we've been seeing out of this staff is only the beginning. Gus isn't conceding ANYTHING to Saban...and neither should we.

Not to jump too far off topic but would it be inconceivable to sign Pettway, Roc Thomas, and possibly Adam Choice as a utility back. After watching his film at TCC I think he could potentially a larger version of what we signed with Quan Bray and T Reed. He can run the triple option like it's nobody's business! E, any others?

Oh is that all you want? Man are you easy to please.

yellow text implied.

I know the coaches would take both Roc and Chubb. I am unsure if they will take either one and Choice.. Aske me again after BCW.

I think we would end up taking Roc and Choice if the chance presented itself. Much more will be "coming to light" at BCW. Maybe we will get one to commit? :cool:

I think we would end up taking Roc and Choice if the chance presented itself. Much more will be "coming to light" at BCW. Maybe we will get one to commit? :cool:

I don't know if it will be either one of them (or Chubb), but I get the feeling we're going to gain at least one or two *public* commitments at BCW. ;)

I don't know if it will be either one of them (or Chubb), but I get the feeling we're going to gain at least one or two *public* commitments at BCW. ;)

;D

Yeah, Pettway won't get five stars. I suspect he has a very strong chance to move up to four stars, however.

And I feel comfortable that we will get two quality running backs in this class...but I wouldn't be overly certain about Roc not being one of them. I honestly believe Nick Saban is going to start seeing his clout diminish more and more over the next few months and years, as Malzahn starts proving himself as a head coach in the SEC.

The thing about Gus is that it's not a matter of believing in him simply being a good coach. The guy is a certifiable genius. And he has been successful EVERYWHERE. It isn't just his system that works, although that certainly has something to do with it. It's his analytical ability and intellect that make it so easy to believe in him. Everyone remembers the West Virginia game in 09 for the monsoon that delayed it, and the resiliency of the student body for sticking around in spite of it...but what I remember about that game is being ecstatic about having a coach who could make adjustments on the fly to counter what the other team was doing. We outscored them 21-3 to close out the game and win by 11. And of course we all remember the night and day difference between the first quarter and a half of the 2010 Iron Bowl and the final 37 minutes of it.

Thus, I have every confidence that the recruiting we've been seeing out of this staff is only the beginning. Gus isn't conceding ANYTHING to Saban...and neither should we.

I believe he already has a 4* rating on ESPN and the #13 back.

I believe he already has a 4* rating on ESPN and the #13 back.

True but that is the outlier. The other 3 and the industry composite have him as a 3 *.

I believe in Gus as much as anyone but come on, red, let's be at least a little honest in our appraisals. Sure, we outscored West Virginia but their 5 turnovers was a bigger part of that than Gus's play calling. The Craig Stevens INT for a TD was the watershed moment in that game. As far as the Iron Bowl of 2010, that comeback was made possible by a guy named Cam Newton. Surely you don't believe that Barrett Trotter or any other Auburn QB of the present OR last 5 years could've orchestrated that ....do you? Gus is great and I expect great things going forward but there is one indispensible aspect of reality that people have a tendency to overlook and that is...great players making great plays is what makes coaches look like geniuses.

I believe in Gus as much as anyone but come on, red, let's be at least a little honest in our appraisals. Sure, we outscored West Virginia but their 5 turnovers was a bigger part of that than Gus's play calling. The Craig Stevens INT for a TD was the watershed moment in that game. As far as the Iron Bowl of 2010, that comeback was made possible by a guy named Cam Newton. Surely you don't believe that Barrett Trotter or any other Auburn QB of the present OR last 5 years could've orchestrated that ....do you? Gus is great and I expect great things going forward but there is one indispensible aspect of reality that people have a tendency to overlook and that is...great players making great plays is what makes coaches look like geniuses.

Cam did play a huge part in the Cam-back, but Gus played a huge role in giving Cam the opportunities to be great. One specific example of this is in play calling, but not in quite the way that you would think.

During the first half of the Iron Bowl, Auburn called plays using Gus's Number-and-Color-Card method that he had used all year, and during that first half, it seemed like our offense couldn't do anything against Bama's defense.

In the Second Half, Gus called plays by running them in with a reciever (sometimes 2 or 3 plays were run in at the same time), and our offense immediately took off, outscoring Bama 28-3.

The only explanation I can come up with for such a dramatic change in momentum is that Bama had somehow (via watching our game film, watching practices, or other methods) figured out our play calling scheme and knew exactly what play we were going to run before the ball was even snapped, taking away one of the biggest aspects of Gus's offense- defensive confusion. If this is what happened, then Gus somehow figured it out and made a simple but effective change that allowed Cam to do what he does best- make the "best defense in the NCAA" look like they were 6 year old girls trying to stop our offense.

Cam did play a huge part in the Cam-back, but Gus played a huge role in giving Cam the opportunities to be great. One specific example of this is in play calling, but not in quite the way that you would think.

During the first half of the Iron Bowl, Auburn called plays using Gus's Number-and-Color-Card method that he had used all year, and during that first half, it seemed like our offense couldn't do anything against Bama's defense.

In the Second Half, Gus called plays by running them in with a reciever (sometimes 2 or 3 plays were run in at the same time), and our offense immediately took off, outscoring Bama 28-3.

The only explanation I can come up with for such a dramatic change in momentum is that Bama had somehow (via watching our game film, watching practices, or other methods) figured out our play calling scheme and knew exactly what play we were going to run before the ball was even snapped, taking away one of the biggest aspects of Gus's offense- defensive confusion. If this is what happened, then Gus somehow figured it out and made a simple but effective change that allowed Cam to do what he does best- make the "best defense in the NCAA" look like they were 6 year old girls trying to stop our offense.

Definitely and I agree but you used a word that is pivotal in making that example and that was "IF" that is what happened. There is a bit of speculation associated with that but it is a good point. I still have my doubts that even with the speculated change in sending in the plays about any other recent AU QB being able to bring Auburn back like Cam did that day.

Definitely and I agree but you used a word that is pivotal in making that example and that was "IF" that is what happened. There is a bit of speculation associated with that but it is a good point. I still have my doubts that even with the speculated change in sending in the plays about any other recent AU QB being able to bring Auburn back like Cam did that day.

I don't disagree with you at all, I believe that Cam had a huge impact on the game and we probably wouldn't have won the game without him running that offense. The point I was trying to make with my post was that he ran the offense for the entirety of the game in 2010, yet there was a huge difference in the results of each half. My post was an attempt to explain what else could have possibly attributed to the amazing turnaround that happened, and that was just one of the things that I have noticed in watching that game again.

Back to Roc Thomas, I want this guy bad.

I do too. He is the one RB I would like to us sign this year.

I will say that it is discouraging to read some of the posts on another site that talk about Roc's love for uat. It seems that even if he were to commit to us today, our chances of signing him would be next to 0% if uat really wants him in Feb. I know that it is what it is, but we really need a stud RB and I think Roc would do wonders in our offense. Last thing we need is to get spurned again and end up empty handed (like a few years ago). It also probably puts our coaches in an odd situation. Of course they will take his commitment if he wants to give it to us.

I will say that it is discouraging to read some of the posts on another site that talk about Roc's love for uat. It seems that even if he were to commit to us today, our chances of signing him would be next to 0% if uat really wants him in Feb. I know that it is what it is, but we really need a stud RB and I think Roc would do wonders in our offense. Last thing we need is to get spurned again and end up empty handed (like a few years ago). It also probably puts our coaches in an odd situation. Of course they will take his commitment if he wants to give it to us.

I think this staff will do a better job of sniffing out BS than the last staff. See Dee Liner.

I think this staff will do a better job of sniffing out BS than the last staff. See Dee Liner.

Boy, I'd hate to think they could handle it any worse!

Do we want Roc moreso because he's THAT DAMN GOOD? Or is it so we can get an apparent bammer lean & top RB in the state to commit to the GOOD GUYS?

Do we want Roc moreso because he's THAT DAMN GOOD? Or is it so we can get an apparent bammer lean & top RB in the state to commit to the GOOD GUYS?

Kid has Caddy 2.0 written all over him in terms of his style and potential.

How about both?

Archived