2014 5* RB Racean "Roc" Thomas COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!

bigbuck

Roc is a beast, I don't think he will announce anytime soon. We will have to be patient and see how things unfold. However, the more time Roc spends in Auburn the better.

I agree. If people think about it, Roc is an elite RB that has an important decision to make but he is able to wait as long as he wants and still be able to go to most of the teams on his list. If he is warming to Auburn, I would think he would want to wait to at least see how we show out in the 9/14 MSU game and especially the 9/21 LSU game. That should give him a good measure of where the program stacks up in the SEC. I would be surprised if a top back like him makes a decision on AU before then, but you never know.

I can tell you now there is certainly a chance he loses his spot if Chubb wanted to commit

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roc is a beast, I don't think he will announce anytime soon. We will have to be patient and see how things unfold. However, the more time Roc spends in Auburn the better.

I agree. If people think about it, Roc is an elite RB that has an important decision to make but he is able to wait as long as he wants and still be able to go to most of the teams on his list. If he is warming to Auburn, I would think he would want to wait to at least see how we show out in the 9/14 MSU game and especially the 9/21 LSU game. That should give him a good measure of where the program stacks up in the SEC. I would be surprised if a top back like him makes a decision on AU before then, but you never know.

I can tell you now there is certainly a chance he loses his spot if Chubb wanted to commit

Thanks KK, I've been wanting the answer to that question but no one I talked to seemed to know.

Interesting, well that may be good or bad for us with him, depending on how important it is to him, to see AU (or any team for that matter) in action in '13. It probably isn't as much of an open question in his mind for teams that did well last year.

It's just something I think we'll have to contend with this year for the very top offensive skill position players like RBs, QBs, WRs. I don't think we'll need to deal with this next year, in fact, If we have a decent year it will be the other way around. An elite RB like him would definitely be a perfect fit at Auburn in the Gus offense so I sure do hope we get him.

Interesting that the coaches would take Chubb first. Seems like with Pettway already in the fold they would be shooting for a quicker, smaller back. Chubb has 20 lbs. on Roc according to Rivals. They certainly know what they're doing but this guy really wants Roc more than any other RB. Maybe I'm just biased because he reminds me of Caddy.

Roc is special no doubt, but it goes back to the bird in hand thing with Chubb. He is far from a scrub and is moving up in rankings every camp he goes to. I agree that we should take Chubb and bid ado to Roc if we have the chance. It's a business decision. Nothing personal.

Interesting that the coaches would take Chubb first. Seems like with Pettway already in the fold they would be shooting for a quicker, smaller back. Chubb has 20 lbs. on Roc according to Rivals. They certainly know what they're doing but this guy really wants Roc more than any other RB. Maybe I'm just biased because he reminds me of Caddy.

Chubb is considerably faster and stronger than Roc. Roc is better in open space, so he may be more agile than Chubb.

I don't think a player like Roc ever loses his spot. You make room for these type of players. You can never have two many RB's. One play and a RB could be done for the year.

I don't think a player like Roc ever loses his spot. You make room for these type of players. You can never have two many RB's. One play and a RB could be done for the year.

100% correct. A top of the line skill player never loses his spot. If you've accepted more commitments than you have slots, somebody gets processed before they even sign. If you intended to sign two RB's and a third top prospect wants to sign with you, you take him too and laugh all the way to the bank. That's how it goes.

The most erroneous statement in football recruiting is "The coaches will only take _ number of players at such-and-such position." That's only true until Mr. Hotshot shows interest. Than it's "oh well, of course we'll take one more if we can get THIS guy"...

100% correct. A top of the line skill player never loses his spot. If you've accepted more commitments than you have slots, somebody gets processed before they even sign. If you intended to sign two RB's and a third top prospect wants to sign with you, you take him too and laugh all the way to the bank. That's how it goes.

The most erroneous statement in football recruiting is "The coaches will only take _ number of players at such-and-such position." That's only true until Mr. Hotshot shows interest. Than it's "oh well, of course we'll take one more if we can get THIS guy"...

I agree 100%, you are an idiot if you say, "Sorry Mr. 5*, we have two 3* guys already committed. Maybe next time." You make room somehow.

FWIW Bryan Matthews says the coaches would take both and Chubb would not affect Roc's spot.

From that ask.fm site via the twitter:

Can you see yourself playing for Gus and his HUNH offense? What stle of offense do you prefer the traditional or the HUNH? Benny Dupree

Yeah I can see that. But I'd prefer that offense since it's similar to mine

I am a big fan of Roc since watching the video. I have not seen Chubb video yet. I really would like Roc. He is the #1 RB in the state. We need him to get back to RBU. He can be that guy.

I am a big fan of Roc since watching the video. I have not seen Chubb video yet. I really would like Roc. He is the #1 RB in the state. We need him to get back to RBU. He can be that guy.

We're going to be RBU regardless of Roc Thomas. He would probably continue the tradition quite nicely, but Tre Mason ran for 1,000 yards last year (meaning he was nearly half the offense...*sigh*), CAP will be the workhorse this year (and I could definitely see him pulling a Rudi Johnson and going pro after a breakout year), and Peyton Barber is going to surprise a lot of people who only look at the 3 star rating he garnered due to being injured his junior season and not getting much attention from the big boys until very late in the process. Jonathan Ford will have something to say about the future at RB, as well.

That isn't to say I don't want Roc, or Chubb for that matter. You can NEVER have too many talented running backs on your roster. With two future top 5 draft pick runners on the roster injured, Tre Smith etched his name into Auburn lore by running for triple digits during his true freshman season to shock Bama in T-town in 02...and then the coaches went out and signed Brandon Jacobs from junior college the following February.

We're going to be RBU regardless of Roc Thomas. He would probably continue the tradition quite nicely, but Tre Mason ran for 1,000 yards last year (meaning he was nearly half the offense...*sigh*), CAP will be the workhorse this year (and I could definitely see him pulling a Rudi Johnson and going pro after a breakout year), and Peyton Barber is going to surprise a lot of people who only look at the 3 star rating he garnered due to being injured his junior season and not getting much attention from the big boys until very late in the process. Jonathan Ford will have something to say about the future at RB, as well.

That isn't to say I don't want Roc, or Chubb for that matter. You can NEVER have too many talented running backs on your roster. With two future top 5 draft pick runners on the roster injured, Tre Smith etched his name into Auburn lore by running for triple digits during his true freshman season to shock Bama in T-town in 02...and then the coaches went out and signed Brandon Jacobs from junior college the following February.

I was in tuscaloosa for that one. and honestly, nobody but the team thought they had a shot. That's why you play the game and oh yeah, that Tre Smith could play the game.....

I was in tuscaloosa for that one. and honestly, nobody but the team thought they had a shot. That's why you play the game and oh yeah, that Tre Smith could play the game.....

I was watching at my church with several Bama fans talking smack about the little white boy we had running the ball. Or, well, they talked smack before the game, anyway. ;)

But no, the kicker was that because I wasn't home to operate the VCR, my mom just set it to record when she left the house an hour before the game started. The pregame show that taped beforehand was the Bama radio guys, and I watched it on the playback just for amusement, and I was glad I did. I distinctly remember one of them saying something along the lines of, "After we beat Auburn..." Classic!!

Guys, please don't get your hopes up on Roc signing with AU. I just don't care to see a Yeldon,Callaway,etc.etc. type meltdown again this year.

We will get some great players and RB's this year, but Roc isn't going to be one of them. Roc and everyone around him wants him at bama and Saban will take him before he allows him to sign with AU.

From that ask.fm site via the twitter:

Can you see yourself playing for Gus and his HUNH offense? What stle of offense do you prefer the traditional or the HUNH? Benny Dupree

Yeah I can see that. But I'd prefer that offense since it's similar to mine

Am I the only one that this doesn't make sense?

Archived