Is it time for a serious conversation about Gun Control?

RunInRed

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Bump stocks and trigger mod devices really are not popular accessories.  Automatic weapons are prohibited by many ranges, and I rarely bring mine out since they always equal 20 questions, and 20 people that want to do a mag dump with one.  Ammo is expensive with any automatic weapon, and no one pitches in.  Most of the range time my autos see is relative to help I provide to local cash-strapped law enforcement departments that cannot afford real training.

Personally, I support any initiative that eliminates devices (whether stocks or trigger devices) that are intended to artificially operate the trigger or manipulate semi-auto trigger pulls.  Automatic weapons have no business being something you can cheaply order online.  I think it would be one of the few bipartisan pieces of gun control legislation that could be crafted.

That's probably true but I also heard that ATF could have implemented those restrictions any time it wanted without the need for legislation.    Maybe it will make the pols feel like they are doing something in response to the problem but apparently no need to wait for them to take that step and sounds like ATF would not have to deal with any flash back.    

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That's probably true but I also heard that ATF could have implemented those restrictions any time it wanted without the need for legislation.    Maybe it will make the pols feel like they are doing something in response to the problem but apparently no need to wait for them to take that step and sounds like ATF would not have to deal with any flash back.    

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/80306-is-it-time-for-a-serious-conversation-about-gun-control/?do=findComment&comment=2735168

ATF could have ruled at any time in the last 30 years, but as has been discussed in this thread and others, ATF can have misdirected opinions and priorities.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/80306-is-it-time-for-a-serious-conversation-about-gun-control/?do=findComment&comment=2735168

ATF could have ruled at any time in the last 30 years, but as has been discussed in this thread and others, ATF can have misdirected opinions and priorities.

It's a political organization after all but for the past 2 administration seems it could have had the backing needed to handle something like this. ..but I still wonder if law or regulation or whatever could have prevented this guy from getting his hands on what he wanted.   Don't know the value of his arsenal but seemed substantial and guess he could have found and bought whatever he wanted....legal or otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It's a political organization after all but for the past 2 administration seems it could have had the backing needed to handle something like this. ..but I still wonder if law or regulation or whatever could have prevented this guy from getting his hands on what he wanted.   Don't know the value of his arsenal but seemed substantial and guess he could have found and bought whatever he wanted....legal or otherwise. 

Bump stocks and trigger devices have never really been a big deal as far as AR or AK mods go.  They were relatively uncommon.  Their first usage that I recall in a mass shooting was in the early 90's. I think ATF should have prohibited such devices back then, but they did not.  Basically, the entire timespan from then to now has been filled with various manufacturers trying to find clever ways of circumventing the NFA, whether it be automatic weapons or SBR's.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am sure when all this is over, lots of people will pat themselves on the back about getting these things banned... the fact is without these devices, he would still have been able to do essentially the same thing.  He fired all the rounds he fired in 9 minutes according to reports...it was 72 minutes before he killed himself as police arrived....more than enough time to get off the same number of rounds.  He was a determined mad man who had planned this all out; and apparently had intent to do more given all his additional weapons, explosives in his car, etc.  So this will really have no impact other than making some folks feel good.  Assuming the PD Chief is correct, it will be interesting to know all those involved.  

I'm still looking for a rational recommendation that comports with the constitution that will have a material impact (not optimistic as the issue isn't guns after all)... I still find it amazing that this is the only type of killing that activates the left.... as mass "long rifle" shootings represent a number to the right of the decimal in terms of murders every year.  More people are killed by hammers and knives annually (per the FBI).   

23 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Back to the 2A, if a government tyranny were to take place we aren't going to stop them with some AR's. They will just use a tank, jet, etc. and squash the people anyways. My hope would be that our military wouldn't allow that to happen and revolt against a rougue leader.

I feel to utilize the 2A to protect ourselves some the government we need to be getting ahold of some tanks, aircraft and lots of ammunition to level the battlefield. 

Here ya go:

http://www.platinumfighters.com/ta-4j-skyhawk

Are A4’s covered under the 2nd amendment.  How about P-51s and Corsairs? 

WARNING:  if you are an aircraft enthusiast,  you could spend hours on this website and not get anything done the rest of the day.

Disclaimer:  Meant for levity, don’t take it too seriously.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here ya go:

WARNING:  if you are an aircraft enthusiast,  you could spend hours on this website and not get anything done the rest of the day.

Nice

Let's get a gofundme setup! 

I'm sick with bronchitis so this will keep me entertained for a while! 

31 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here ya go:

If you can scrounge together $5.7 million, why should you not be allowed to own a BF-109?

If you can scrounge together $5.7 million, why should you not be allowed to own a BF-109?

Well, that would be a piece of history.  I met the great-great grandson of Messerschmitt a few years ago.  I only talked to him for a little bit, interesting background, really fascinating.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Well, that would be a piece of history.  I met the great-great grandson of Messerschmitt a few years ago.  I only talked to him for a little bit, interesting background, really fascinating.

We have plenty of them languishing in museums.  An airworthy one should belong to some brave soul willing to fly that death trap.

We have plenty of them languishing in museums.  An airworthy one should belong to some brave soul willing to fly that death trap.

A lot of the early aircraft were death traps, I would guess you would really have to pay attention when you were close to the limits of the envelope.  I do wonder how aviation would have been different if Germany had not been banned from aircraft development.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

A lot of the early aircraft were death traps, I would guess you would really have to pay attention when you were close to the limits of the envelope.  I do wonder how aviation would have been different if Germany had not been banned from aircraft development.

The mere act of taxiing the thing to a runway was a notable achievement in a rookie's career.  It is interesting to ponder had Messerschmidt, Focke-Wulf, and Heinkel been allowed to continue their work in a post-war Germany.

That said, I suspect their personnel end up contributing greatly anyway as a result of Operation Paperclip.  After all, the man responsible for raining V-2's on Britain ended up being the father of our space program.  I have never really looked into the fate of their aircraft designers, but you have to expect that Boeing, Lockheed, etc. had their pick of the lot.  It is probably no coincidence that our jet aircraft advanced quite rapidly.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think it's an unfair standard to say any law would prevent a determined person with resources from doing anything. 

A better standard from gun regulations is to prevent it from being so easy for someone to do.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here ya go:

Everyone should have one of these in the garage....

• 4 months later...

sad sad.... use to live in Coral Springs back in the 70's. Don't have the answer but why do kids feel the need to get a gun and just kill people. Kid was 19 who shot everyone. I truly know times have changed but when we had an issue at school we would just have a fight and its over. I could have gotten any kind of gun I wanted back then but never ever thought about it not even a knife just fists and maybe brass knuckles/belt buckle

Just sad

31 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

sad sad.... use to live in Coral Springs back in the 70's. Don't have the answer but why do kids feel the need to get a gun and just kill people. Kid was 19 who shot everyone. I truly know times have changed but when we had an issue at school we would just have a fight and its over. I could have gotten any kind of gun I wanted back then but never ever thought about it not even a knife just fists and maybe brass knuckles/belt buckle

Just sad

Access combined with attitude seems to be an issue.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Just sad

Sad indeed.....not going to pretend that there is is answer to this problem today.....sad.

Archived