Derrick Green

RunInRed

What do y'all think about the Gus hire in terms of getting Green ? I think it helps.

It did not help with Greg Bryant, who I feel is an ideal back for Gus's offense. He crossed Auburn off shortly after Gus was announced.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do y'all think about the Gus hire in terms of getting Green ? I think it helps.

It did not help with Greg Bryant, who I feel is an ideal back for Gus's offense. He crossed Auburn off shortly after Gus was announced.

That surprised me. I don't feel there are too many offensive recruits whose opinions of Auburn will decrease with Malzahn.

Yes, I knew that, but the question was about Green. Any thoughts on him ?

There is an article on rivals where Justin Hokanson says that he does not believe having Gus helps us much. To paraphrase, Green doesn't really think he's built to play in that offense but is confident in his ability to win the starting job regardless

That surprised me. I don't feel there are too many offensive recruits whose opinions of Auburn will decrease with Malzahn.

Decrease from Loeffler? Malzahn is a huge offensive upgrade from where we were 2 weeks ago.

There is an article on rivals where Justin Hokanson says that he does not believe having Gus helps us much. To paraphrase, Green doesn't really think he's built to play in that offense but is confident in his ability to win the starting job regardless

Just wait till Gus finishes explaining to Green how well he fits into his offense. ;)

show him clips of ben tate 2009 and dyer in 2010 and 2011 (in spite of the reduced touches) ... malzahns offense should be a dream to a running back. gus shoots for 85 snaps a game ... there might be a carry or two for some hard nosed running backs ...

I have to think a RB saying he isn't "built for this offense" either doesn't know the offense or isn't comfortable catching the ball. It's a power run game built around inside gives and the stretch play. What every down RB doesn't fit that mold? It's not like every RB is asked to play the McCalebb role. That was carved out specifically for Onterio because of his unique abilities.

For some reason I can't start a new topic so I'll post this here and someone can move it. (I went back 8 pages looking for a Kamara thread) Does anyone think that Alvin Kamara would be tailor-made to play in this offense? He could play the OMac role on jet sweeps, run the ball some inside, and get a few carries in between the tackles. I know that he currently hasn't been too interested in us but with UGA and Bama being loaded at RB this year I feel like we could maybe get a shot to come in late on him. Anyone else agree or have some insight? Thanks and sorry for posting in the DG thread.

For some reason I can't start a new topic so I'll post this here and someone can move it. (I went back 8 pages looking for a Kamara thread) Does anyone think that Alvin Kamara would be tailor-made to play in this offense? He could play the OMac role on jet sweeps, run the ball some inside, and get a few carries in between the tackles. I know that he currently hasn't been too interested in us but with UGA and Bama being loaded at RB this year I feel like we could maybe get a shot to come in late on him. Anyone else agree or have some insight? Thanks and sorry for posting in the DG thread.

He would fit well in our new O, but there is about a .0001% chance he comes to AU

Yes but I think CAM 2,0 fits that role also.

I'm surprised he dropped us. If we don't get Green, who do you think we'd likely go after? I really like Tarean Folston.

I'm surprised he dropped us. If we don't get Green, who do you think we'd likely go after? I really like Tarean Folston.

Not sure yet.

Not sure yet.

Has Malzahn had any contact with Green to your knowledge, Ellitor? Really hope we can pull him in.

Not sure yet.

Has Malzahn had any contact with Green to your knowledge, Ellitor? Really hope we can pull him in.

Have not heard of any but that does not mean it has not happened.

I would be VERY surprised if CGM has not talked to Derrick. I think it was at the press conference to announce that he hired Ellis Johnson as DC, he was asked and said he had talked to all the commits but a couple of that he was having trouble getting in touch with. I think one of those was already discussed as Carl Lawson. We know he has since visited with Carl and his father in-home.

i assume, in conjunction with green making some kind of inference about gus' offense not being a "running" offense, that these recruits do not understand malzahns scheme.

malzahn needs to go on a media blitz and make sure folks know ... and he says this ALL THE TIME ... that he is a run first, power, play action offense. all the motion and the HUNH is just to enhance what his base offense is.

i mean, dang he has the 23rd ranked offense in his first year as HC! 23rd ranked rushing offense ... which i would not jump up and down about at auburn, but should show his commitment to the run. top 2 O at tulsa 2 years in a row. dyer, omac, tate at auburn ... has yet another 1000 yard rusher this year, plus 3 guys over 300 yards.

a running back in Gus' O WILL carry the ball alot AND it will be between the tackles. he shoots for 85 plays a game ... there will be 50 rushing attempts PER GAME, if the O is clicking.

the term Spread, has got to go to the grave ... it puts such a misconception out there.

i assume, in conjunction with green making some kind of inference about gus' offense not being a "running" offense, that these recruits do not understand malzahns scheme.

malzahn needs to go on a media blitz and make sure folks know ... and he says this ALL THE TIME ... that he is a run first, power, play action offense. all the motion and the HUNH is just to enhance what his base offense is.

i mean, dang he has the 23rd ranked offense in his first year as HC! 23rd ranked rushing offense ... which i would not jump up and down about at auburn, but should show his commitment to the run. top 2 O at tulsa 2 years in a row. dyer, omac, tate at auburn ... has yet another 1000 yard rusher this year, plus 3 guys over 300 yards.

a running back in Gus' O WILL carry the ball alot AND it will be between the tackles. he shoots for 85 plays a game ... there will be 50 rushing attempts PER GAME, if the O is clicking.

the term Spread, has got to go to the grave ... it puts such a misconception out there.

I agree with your last sentence the most, Auburn needs to come up with a new marketing name for this offense because ESPN and CBS will call us a spread team 20K times nest season and therefore will be will a spread team regardless what we actually run. Maybe call it Hybrid, quad-shift, power X, turbo-cat offense.... who knows what you should call it but we need to name it something that keeps it out of the spread category and focuses more on the run.

I do not get this, why does anyone think we run the spread? We almost always use 2 backs and at least one TE. Only occasionally do we use 4 WR sets. The spread is 4WR 1RB or 5WR no back and only occasionally 1RB, 1TE, and 3WR, usually run out of the shotgun or pistol. The offense that T A&M runs is a HUNH spread offense, Gus runs a 2 back, power run, play-action in HUNH format. There seems to be some confusion about HUNH's relationship to the spread offense. The spread is a type of offense and HUNH is an offensive tactic that is employeed by every offense. Most offenses only use HUNH at the end of the half and if they are behind late in the game, where as Gus' offense runs the whole game in a two-minute drill.

Archived