Derrick Green

RunInRed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone who knows more about the Xs & Os explain what makes a run game "Power" -- Does it have something to do with the H-back, the tight end, the pulling linemen, or something else?

So is it the 2 Back, power run-option, play-action? or 2 Back, Power run, option, play-action? I didn't play football (I played Ice Hockey), i'm only a lifelong watcher.

Could someone who knows more about the Xs & Os explain what makes a run game "Power" -- Does it have something to do with the H-back, the tight end, the pulling linemen, or something else?

So is it the 2 Back, power run-option, play-action? or 2 Back, Power run, option, play-action? I didn't play football (I played Ice Hockey), i'm only a lifelong watcher.

Has more to do with O Line blocking technique than formations.

Here is what Gus can tell Green....'

This is an excerpt from what the Juco back (Payne) was told by Gus in a recent conversation...

“Coming into the conversation with Coach Malzahn in knew some things about him,” Artis-Payne said. “I learned a lot more about him after talking with him. I didn’t know he was there with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at Arkansas. That shed some light on the situation for me because I thought he ran a spread-type offense. He told me in the last five years he’s had seven 1,000-yard rushers. That’s not spread to me.”

Pretty good selling point don't you think!

i assume, in conjunction with green making some kind of inference about gus' offense not being a "running" offense, that these recruits do not understand malzahns scheme.

malzahn needs to go on a media blitz and make sure folks know ... and he says this ALL THE TIME ... that he is a run first, power, play action offense. all the motion and the HUNH is just to enhance what his base offense is.

i mean, dang he has the 23rd ranked offense in his first year as HC! 23rd ranked rushing offense ... which i would not jump up and down about at auburn, but should show his commitment to the run. top 2 O at tulsa 2 years in a row. dyer, omac, tate at auburn ... has yet another 1000 yard rusher this year, plus 3 guys over 300 yards.

a running back in Gus' O WILL carry the ball alot AND it will be between the tackles. he shoots for 85 plays a game ... there will be 50 rushing attempts PER GAME, if the O is clicking.

the term Spread, has got to go to the grave ... it puts such a misconception out there.

I do not get this, why does anyone think we run the spread? We almost always use 2 backs and at least one TE. Only occasionally do we use 4 WR sets. The spread is 4WR 1RB or 5WR no back and only occasionally 1RB, 1TE, and 3WR, usually run out of the shotgun or pistol. The offense that T A&M runs is a HUNH spread offense, Gus runs a 2 back, power run, play-action in HUNH format. There seems to be some confusion about HUNH's relationship to the spread offense. The spread is a type of offense and HUNH is an offensive tactic that is employeed by every offense. Most offenses only use HUNH at the end of the half and if they are behind late in the game, where as Gus' offense runs the whole game in a two-minute drill.

that is kinda the point of my post. a significant number of people, including a significant number of auburn fans (the brilliant of us who are here on AUF are of course excluded), refer to malzahn as having a spread O scheme. it simply isnt the case and goes to show what perception will do. auburn has to change that perception somehow. guarantee you other recruiters are telling the top RB's that gus runs a pass heavy, soft O running game. the stats prove that he is a run first, down hill running back friendly O. the HUNH gets him extra plays so his O can be pass friendly - 30 ish attempts - and run friendly - 45 to 50 attempts.

This is an excerpt from what the Juco back (Payne) was told by Gus in a recent conversation...

“Coming into the conversation with Coach Malzahn in knew some things about him,” Artis-Payne said. “I learned a lot more about him after talking with him. I didn’t know he was there with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones at Arkansas. That shed some light on the situation for me because I thought he ran a spread-type offense. He told me in the last five years he’s had seven 1,000-yard rushers. That’s not spread to me.”

That's quite a nice pedigree there.

that is a very telling quote from that young man. and remember he is a couple years older than these other recruits ... i.e. he should have been a senior during our 2010 season? ... you would think he would be a little more familiar with what Gus was doing at Auburn then. shows the power of perception. real or false is irrelevant. these recruits need to hear and see what gus is all about

Well, e, it's not just the OL blocking schemes. There are definitely "power" run plays, like the Power O, which Gus uses all the freaking time.

E is right about blocking schemes have a huge part in the definition. In the Power O, for example, you're overloading the playside (the direction the run is going) with blockers so that guys don't have to block more than one man. Basically, you're telling inside linemen on the playside to block the guy in front of them, pulling the backside guard as a lead, and the FB/H-back/TE is used to kick out the last guy on the end of the line. That gives you a look that is common on "power" running plays. You end up with the TB following a lead blocker while the playside blocking is basically a hat on a hat.

You get the same look in an iso play (with a fullback lead), but that's the general idea. Hat on hat blocking from the OL (as E noted) with lead blocking in some form or fashion to overload the playside run.

Well, e, it's not just the OL blocking schemes. There are definitely "power" run plays, like the Power O, which Gus uses all the freaking time.

E is right about blocking schemes have a huge part in the definition. In the Power O, for example, you're overloading the playside (the direction the run is going) with blockers so that guys don't have to block more than one man. Basically, you're telling inside linemen on the playside to block the guy in front of them, pulling the backside guard as a lead, and the FB/H-back/TE is used to kick out the last guy on the end of the line. That gives you a look that is common on "power" running plays. You end up with the TB following a lead blocker while the playside blocking is basically a hat on a hat.

You get the same look in an iso play (with a fullback lead), but that's the general idea. Hat on hat blocking from the OL (as E noted) with lead blocking in some form or fashion to overload the playside run.

Here is a video from CGM that fits perfectly with the above explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXR5cUDmrU

Another video. First play is the Shotgun Buck Sweep CGM explains above.

Yep looks like we got some week, pansy, soft "spread" offense coming back to Auburn. Hope we can amass 500 yards rushing on the season ...

i hope you're kidding

Gus has had a 1,000 rusher for the last 4 years at Auburn and at Arkansas State. I don't know about before that.

That's quite a nice pedigree there.

Peyton Hillis was also on that team. Not that his stats were all that impressive, but if you want to play where are they now.

Yep looks like we got some week, pansy, soft "spread" offense coming back to Auburn. Hope we can amass 5 yards rushing on the season ...

i hope you're kidding

Gus has had a 1,000 rusher for the last 4 years at Auburn and at Arkansas State. I don't know about before that.

seriously???? I modified it to make it stand out a little more...

I thought I read that Gus had 6 1000 yd rushers in the last 4 years. Also, probably you are not counting Cam.

In case anyone is wondering Gus has had nine 1,000 yard rushers. I just checked.

Yep looks like we got some week, pansy, soft "spread" offense coming back to Auburn. Hope we can amass 5 yards rushing on the season ...

i hope you're kidding

I assumed you were kidding :gofig: but with people on these boards lately it's hard to tell

i hope you're kidding

I assumed you were kidding :gofig: but with people on these boards lately it's hard to tell

Mustache is known for keeping the board lose through his humor.

i hope you're kidding

hahahahaha! it ha gotten a little tense around here starting about the middle of the fall. am ready for a good steady stream of good info!

a 5* DL in a few days would be nice?!

maybe a j. williams flip from TAM!

rock as a DL coach?!

d. green commitment?!

trey and foster back in the fold?!

none of these is a stretch either!

a few bonus possibilities: bama lose and saban to browns ... not cuz i care what they do, but the meltdown would be a good spectacle sport!

ramsey, rodgers flip from usc?! doubtful but would be alot of fun ... i get the feeling that kiffin is about to destroy that place and hope those kids see it.

i am hopeful our sissy offense will create a upbeat vibe for the players and recruits moving forward! (sorry i mean hard nosed offense)

Anyone know how Auburn is looking right now with Derrick Green?

No. Have not heard much since the coaching change.

I was about to ask the same thing E. Wrong thread I know but are DG and/or GB (lazy way to ask about GB) still possible?

Archived