Derrick Green

RunInRed

No Jonesy!! No more lost commitments I cant take it. :dead:/> i guess its all part of the process of switching to a new staff. Still I liked Wilkins. Are we targeting different types of backs now? More of the smaller, quicker backs?

Why would we be doing that? Ben Tate worked out quite well for Gus's offense. The situation with these guys slipping away (if they truly are) such as Lemond Johnson and Wilkins is starting to not be so funny. When the big, 5* types with a lot of pressure from everybody slip away, that's a little understandable. Losing guys to Tennessee, Vandy and so forth is not good.

"Did we really want them?" or "We're seeking a different direction" is a poor excuse for losing out. We need numbers, time is closing in and this is no time to be letting good prospects fade out of the picture.

It is unclear what the new staff's plans are with Wilkins. As for Lemond, he is not a priority for the new staff at this time. They are either looking for or have found other safeties they want. If LJ does not flip to Tennessee then the staff may try to sign him in February. However, it looks like he will flip to Tennessee tomorrow or early next week.

So, AUBURN accepted this kid's commitment with the understanding he would be an early enrolee. Now AUBURN is telling him the deal is off? Saban did that to two guys last year and I blasted him for not honoring his word. Guess from now on I'll just have to SU because we're doing the same thing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Jonesy!! No more lost commitments I cant take it. :dead:/> i guess its all part of the process of switching to a new staff. Still I liked Wilkins. Are we targeting different types of backs now? More of the smaller, quicker backs?

Why would we be doing that? Ben Tate worked out quite well for Gus's offense. The situation with these guys slipping away (if they truly are) such as Lemond Johnson and Wilkins is starting to not be so funny. When the big, 5* types with a lot of pressure from everybody slip away, that's a little understandable. Losing guys to Tennessee, Vandy and so forth is not good.

"Did we really want them?" or "We're seeking a different direction" is a poor excuse for losing out. We need numbers, time is closing in and this is no time to be letting good prospects fade out of the picture.

It is unclear what the new staff's plans are with Wilkins. As for Lemond, he is not a priority for the new staff at this time. They are either looking for or have found other safeties they want. If LJ does not flip to Tennessee then the staff may try to sign him in February. However, it looks like he will flip to Tennessee tomorrow or early next week.

So, AUBURN accepted this kid's commitment with the understanding he would be an early enrolee. Now AUBURN is telling him the deal is off? Saban did that to two guys last year and I blasted him for not honoring his word. Guess from now on I'll just have to SU because we're doing the same thing.

Well the only thing I can say in AU's defense is that it was two different coaching staffs. Chizco left Gus with a pretty full cupboard in this recruiting class. It's up to them to keep it together or make changes. I really dont want to hear another AU coach blame his team's lack of production on the previous staff ever again. Come signing day, this is officially Gus' class As far as Im concerned he will get the credit or blame for what they do going forward so I'm ok with him making these kinds of changes even if I dont agree with them.

I have a problem with that. How do people criticize recruits for decommitting because they lost relationships (which proves they weren't "committed to Auburn") and in the next breath defend Auburn for turning its back on kids that stayed committed (on the grounds that it's a different staff)? There's a terrible double standard at play. I wish Gus would uphold our offers, whether they came from him or not.

I have a problem with that. How do people criticize recruits for decommitting because they lost relationships (which proves they weren't "committed to Auburn") and in the next breath defend Auburn for turning its back on kids that stayed committed (on the grounds that it's a different staff)? There's a terrible double standard at play. I wish Gus would uphold our offers, whether they came from him or not.

It is Malzahn's job on the line, he should be able to recruit the kids he wants and the kids should and are able to decommit if they wish.. The kid can go play for Tenn. No big whoop. It is not like he won't get to play ball and go to school at a fine University.

I have an issue with this whole "committed to Auburn" vs "committed to a coach/relationship" thing. If the only time you've ever been on campus is because you were recruited to play a sport, how can you be "committed to Auburn"? If the only people that have showed a kid they really wanted him here at this school are suddenly replaced, then why would he still feel connected? It's great when that happens (Lutz, Parkey, etc) but no one should blame these kids for opening up their recruitment. Hopefully they give the new staff a chance to earn their commitment again but the new staff should also have the option to prioritize the current commits. I think the staff should always honor those commitments but if they know a kid doesnt fit in their plans, it's their responsibility to let him and his family know where he stands.

I have an issue with this whole "committed to Auburn" vs "committed to a coach/relationship" thing. If the only time you've ever been on campus is because you were recruited to play a sport, how can you be "committed to Auburn"? If the only people that have showed a kid they really wanted him here at this school are suddenly replaced, then why would he still feel connected? It's great when that happens (Lutz, Parkey, etc) but no one should blame these kids for opening up their recruitment. Hopefully they give the new staff a chance to earn their commitment again but the new staff should also have the option to prioritize the current commits. I think the staff should always honor those commitments but if they know a kid doesnt fit in their plans, it's their responsibility to let him and his family know where he stands.

++

If coaches are honest about this possibility, I can't see many kids following through wth their commitment...knowing the odds are stacked against him. And it's not like these guys only have one offer. It's the middle of December...the guys have plenty of time to look around and rest assured if any AU recruit de-commits, his phone will be ringing off the hook. Coaches changing their minds a few days before LOI...that's another story and I hope AU would NEVER do that.

Anything new on Derrick since the coaching change?

Met Lashlee last week. He was close to Luper. We trail Michigan big right now.

Greene has to know HE IS THE BIG DAWG(pardon) Running back in the 2013 running back class for AUburn, Wilkins is cold,so reported,so i am not quite sure who we get.Kamara????...He would be a good back for Malzhan's offense. What other rb's are we looking at?

He will visit AU and the new staff with his family before deciding

WOW! That will be a pleasant surprise. I was irritated for the old staff using his OV up for the UGA game basically knowing they would be gone.

WOW! That will be a pleasant surprise. I was irritated for the old staff using his OV up for the UGA game basically knowing they would be gone.

Hope they show him the film of Ben Tate doing work in this offense.

Then show film of Tate, along with all the other current AU runningbacks in their Pro uniforms.

That is good news. We may be behind, but that will at least still give us a shot IMO.

It is good news. Does anyone know whether CGM got a chance to talk to him before the dead period?

That is good news. We may be behind, but that will at least still give us a shot IMO.

I agree. If he and his family are willing to come back and listen to our new coaching staff on their own dime, it says a lot.

It is good news. Does anyone know whether CGM got a chance to talk to him before the dead period?

Yes, on the phone and Lashlee met him in person. The visit from DG is not set in stone. It is tentative at this point.

Yes, on the phone and Lashlee met him in person The visit from DG is not set in stone. It is tentative at this point.

Well, good news and bad (sort of). I hope they do come. Thanks, E.

To even consider making a trip on his own dime to Auburn from VA is good news. Considering his relationship with Luper and the uncertainty with our program, it is a miracle he hasn't turned away from AU

Archived