Carl Stephens longtime Voice of Jordan-Hare dies

WarTiger

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/08/former_jordan-hare_announcer_c.html

'You're so right, Carl': Former Auburn host, the voice of Jordan-Hare Stadium, Carl Stephens dies

Published: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 10:24 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 10:32 PM

11379790-large.jpgShug Jordan, left, and Carl Stephens back in the day on the Auburn Football Review

AUBURN, Alabama -- Carl Stephens, a former host of the Auburn Football Review and the voice of Jordan-Hare Stadium for 27 years, died at age 77 Wednesday in a Montgomery hospital.

Stephens will be forever linked to former Auburn football coach Shug Jordan, who, when in agreement during their Sunday replay show, would say, "You're so right, Carl!" It became a catch phrase for Auburn fans.

Stephens was the announcer at Jordan-Hare before retiring in 2005. He also served as the announcer for Auburn basketball and baseball games, as well as SEC basketball and baseball tournaments.

Stephens was the sports director at WSFA-TV in Montgomery from 1963-75. He returned to WSFA in 1978 as the program and promotions manager.

Stephens is survived by his wife, Mary, son Richard, and daughter Sandra.

Jim now has some company up in that great booth in the sky.

" The correct Jordan Hare stadium time is.... "

Carl was simply the best.

Used to love to watch the Auburn Football Review on Sunday's back in the days before football was on all 3 networks and 10 cable channels carrying games almost daily. "Your so right Carl" was awesome and a true Aburn man. God Bless Carl Stephens...

His voice, much like Jim Fyffe's will forever be etched into my memory. The one that always brings a smile to my face is "Will Otis Mounds please report to the Auburn Locker Room." God Speed old friend.

His voice, much like Jim Fyffe's will forever be etched into my memory. The one that always brings a smile to my face is "Will Otis Mounds please report to the Auburn Locker Room." God Speed old friend.

Yeah, that was classic...my friends and I looked at each other in a "??? Shouldn't he already be in uniform?" manner. That was the season opener against CS-Fullerton in 1990.

RIP Mr. Stephens...some good memories attached to that voice.

Archived