email Spam

I'm consistently swamped with spam email. Can someone direct me to good spam blocking software/freeware?

I haven't been bothered with spam much since I've been overseas, but here in the past 2 weeks it has gotten ridiculous.

I'm assuming your on Windows?

You might want to download Mozilla's Thunderbird email client. It has a very good junk mail filter that learns over time what you consider good and bad email and shuffles the bad off to a separate folder, thereby tidying up your inbox. You can periodically peruse the junk folder to make sure it hasn't snagged any good email then mass delete the junk.

Read about and download Thunderbird here

If Outlook Express had a decent junk mail filter, the suggestion would be unnecessary.

There are other good clients out there; Eudora for instance. But the junk mail filter in Thunderbird is more sophisticated and intuitive to use and works better than trying to hook up third party plugins to OE.

The way to shut me up about Mozilla: persuade Microsoft to quit building crap, especially on their free products like Internet Explorer and Outlook Express that most people with computers in their home use more than anything else on their machine.

Apparently, the folks at PC World agree with me:

Best Free E-Mail: Mozilla Thunderbird

As easy to use as Outlook Express (and in many ways better), Mozilla Thunderbird comes from the same folks who brought you the Mozilla browser. It has all the tools you'd expect, including the ability to handle multiple e-mail accounts from a single interface, create rules for funneling e-mail into folders, and color-code messages for easier sorting. Thunderbird even has a built-in spam filter, though you have to train it before it recognizes any junk. You'll have to do without niceties like an install program or live tech support, but I can put up with that.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114685,00.asp

Incidentally, they like Mozilla's standard browser over Firefox, but if you have Thunderbird, you don't need much of the bloat the Mozilla standard brings. Firefox is leaner and faster. But bottom line: both Mozilla products are recommended over the free Microsoft ones.

I use spam subtract. I like it very well. Has a thirty day trial. Very effective

The best solution I've found is to change e-mail addresses every so often. Of course, I haven't tried any of the other products.

Archived