Official Ambles Thread

AU66

OK, here is my 2 cents on this post.  We are loaded at WR, just because only two receivers made big plays last year doesn't mean there aren't any other WR's that can't step up.  

Adams and Zack struggled their first years, it took them time to learn and get better, I remember alot of dropped passes from both of them in 08.  I know some will put the blame on the QB's but I remember a ton of dropped balls right in their numbers.  

Most all of our receivers are young or haven't had much playing time.  Carr, Benton, Blake, PPL, Gulley, Stallworthe; all young guys that just need to learn routes and get stronger.  You almost never see a frosh WR come out and be a bigtime threat.  Add Lutz to this group and we will have a very strong receiving group.

Trovon and Goodwin will get their chance to show what they can do at WR early on, but I guarantee we will have 2-3 more guys step up along with Adams and Zack.  We will have threats all over the field this year with Cam firing that ball right to them.

I think Aycock is perfect for the wildcat.  He has the size and speed to run straight thru the D or block off DE's and Lb's, he is a monster, 5'10 and around 225 of muscle, AND was a QB in HS.

Fannin needs to be in the backfield along with Dyer and Latt, I think his talent was wasted playing the h-back.  Tate and Fannin could have been better than Brown and Carnell, I hated Fannin not getting 15+ carries.  And Fannin will be a great mentor for Dyer and Latt.

I think O'Mac would be perfect for the H-back, with his speed Gus could do alot with him.  

If Smith comes back, he could also be in the backfield or maybe the H-back, he has really good hands, he made some great catches last year and has great size and speed.

If we get our D headed in the right direction as it seems we are doing, and with a favorable schedule this year, I see us losing no more than 2 games.

Again, just my 2 cents.....

Hard to argue with those 2 cents... :laugh: Good post...and FWIW your 2 cents are now worth a dime.  :laugh:

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys you all have good points.  

The reason there was a change in DA and Zach IMO was because of one man, and it was not Chizik, Malzahn, or the play of Todd.  I think there season was due in most part to Trooper Taylor.  Look at Dez Bryant.  Trooper puts the emphasis on these WR's  to run good routes, and more importantly catch the ball.  Look at DA he did not drop a ball that hit him in the hands and more than that he caught anything close.  In '08 to get a completion first off the QB had to make a perfect throw (not often) and then the WR had to catch the ball (even less often).

I guess my point is Trooper is going to coach these WR up and get the most out of there potential.  Everytime I watched DA this year I thought about Chris Carter and how he says catch everything even in practice and I know that Trooper is coaching with the same philosophy and it showed this year and I can't wait to see what he does with this young crop of WR's.

Although its very doubtful, If trovon ever swapped over to DB for any reason i believe hed become a thorpe award winner and a 1st rounder when he was a junior. I know everybody saw him cover the much taller Prater in the AAA game..... he locked him up.

Volquest appears to be the primary source on this, but supposedly Kiffin picked up Ambles in a limo at the airport today.  Is that a secondary violation?

If Kiffin is involved there is usually a violation.I bet the SCw hostess look is hotter than the UT look,just sayin.....

Volquest appears to be the primary source on this, but supposedly Kiffin picked up Ambles in a limo at the airport today.  Is that a secondary violation?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I read where the NCAA ordered 10 cases of  "Official Notification of NCAA Secondary Rules Violations" forms, but had to reorder them once they were made aware that they were all prefilled with Kiffin and UT's information. 

Apparently it is.........

LOS ANGELES (WVLT) -- Lane Kiffin has already committed his first secondary violation at USC.

The former Tennessee coach picked up a recruit from the airport in a limo, according to Volquest.com.

Kiffin committed at least six secondary NCAA violations while at Tennessee.

I know that this really affects us too, but there needs to be some consequence for secondary violations.  Six in a year at a school is ridiculous and I can understand the difference between an accidental one and one that is just a F you to the NCAA because they don't act on them.  I honestly hope that Kiffen grabs a couple more secondaries out at USC and the NCAA just decides to lop off their football program's head.

Back to Amble's, the kid is talented but I think he likes the rockstar coach and will end up at USC with Kiffen.

I know that this really affects us too, but there needs to be some consequence for secondary violations.  Six in a year at a school is ridiculous and I can understand the difference between an accidental one and one that is just a F you to the NCAA because they don't act on them.  I honestly hope that Kiffen grabs a couple more secondaries out at USC and the NCAA just decides to lop off their football program's head.

Back to Amble's, the kid is talented but I think he likes the rockstar coach and will end up at USC with Kiffen.

Well, Kiffin speaks for himself.  I'm not sure how anyone can take him seriously. 

Reactions there may be something along the lines of "Hey what's one more violation, right?"

I mean they didn't seem to care that they brought in Kiffin who is undoubtedly going to give them more.  I'd like to think Ambles would know what kind of man Kiffin is and wouldn't fall for any of the nonsense that he mentions.

How in the hell did this man land the USC head coaching job??? OK, I know that SC is about to be handed their butts on a platter, but still. Kiffin is an idiot. No, wait. That is an insult to idiots. Oh well, you get what you pay for (yes, pun was intended here).

How in the hell did this man land the USC head coaching job??? OK, I know that SC is about to be handed their butts on a platter, but still. Kiffin is an idiot. No, wait. That is an insult to idiots. Oh well, you get what you pay for (yes, pun was intended here).

Kiffin is USCw Mike Shula.....a name all USC fans know.....and somebody to get them thru the probation years....IF anything happens out there and they are put on probation for several years like Shula he will be let go as soon as it's over......just my .02 worth but that seems to be what happened in turdville.  Shula was just a homeboy that everybody recognized.  Nobody actually thought he would do anything with that team.  Well the people in power anyway.....the mullet nation thought they had the second coming AGAIN in shula.......

OK, here is my 2 cents on this post.  We are loaded at WR, just because only two receivers made big plays last year doesn't mean there aren't any other WR's that can't step up.  

Adams and Zack struggled their first years, it took them time to learn and get better, I remember alot of dropped passes from both of them in 08.  I know some will put the blame on the QB's but I remember a ton of dropped balls right in their numbers.  

Most all of our receivers are young or haven't had much playing time.  Carr, Benton, Blake, PPL, Gulley, Stallworthe; all young guys that just need to learn routes and get stronger.  You almost never see a frosh WR come out and be a bigtime threat.  Add Lutz to this group and we will have a very strong receiving group.

Trovon and Goodwin will get their chance to show what they can do at WR early on, but I guarantee we will have 2-3 more guys step up along with Adams and Zack.  We will have threats all over the field this year with Cam firing that ball right to them.

I think Aycock is perfect for the wildcat.  He has the size and speed to run straight thru the D or block off DE's and Lb's, he is a monster, 5'10 and around 225 of muscle, AND was a QB in HS.

Fannin needs to be in the backfield along with Dyer and Latt, I think his talent was wasted playing the h-back.  Tate and Fannin could have been better than Brown and Carnell, I hated Fannin not getting 15+ carries.  And Fannin will be a great mentor for Dyer and Latt.

I think O'Mac would be perfect for the H-back, with his speed Gus could do alot with him.  

If Smith comes back, he could also be in the backfield or maybe the H-back, he has really good hands, he made some great catches last year and has great size and speed.

If we get our D headed in the right direction as it seems we are doing, and with a favorable schedule this year, I see us losing no more than 2 games.

Again, just my 2 cents.....

I agree. Remember Benton didn’t play for awhile and needed his rhythm back it might take a little bit before the light comes back on and Mario needs to hold on to the ball to get more carries.  :wareagle:

Because other quality coaches refused them - pending violation investigations.

Because other quality coaches refused them - pending violation investigations.

I think you hit the nail on the head. They were tired of getting turned down, needed a coach, and lane called wanting the job.

Kiffin = walking violation! This guy is gonna win a lot of games for USC, but he'll run that program in the ground at the same time.

You know internet rumor is, it's the worst, but I saw on another site a poster said he heard rumors the NCAA will give USCw 2 years no bowl and 2 years no t.v.. I will believe it when I see.

This is to AUTigergrad08

My Quote

The WR's of 09 were suppose to be Billings, Hawthorne, Carr, and Winter along with Benton and Blake.  Everyone thought Benton would be great his first year, but he couldn't catch a cold, nothing against him, just inexperienced at this level.  He needs to learn his routes and mechanics better and get confident, I am sure it took a hit last year.

^^^^^

See, I don't agree with this.  Benton has been sidelined similar to how Adams was sidelined his freshman year.  You can't say he "couldn't catch a cold" when he's brought in for relief or mop up duty.  If Todd threw to him every snap like he did Darvin Adams, you'd be talking about how great Benton is.  

^^^^^

Benton did drop alot of passes last year that should have been caught, esp. in mopup duty.  But I know it was due to inexperience and nerves stepping up to this level.  He will get much better and will be right there with Adams and Zack this year.  Not sure what you disagree with, his drops were right there on the field for everyone to see.

Adams and Zack were total surprises last year, great surprises, but surprises nontheless.

^^^^^

Not surprises to me.  I knew they could play.  Just like I know the other WRs we have can play.  You're buying into this whole thing that production = talent.  Not necessarily.  Production = a combo of playing time, talent, how much you're being thrown to, etc.  

^^^^^

Look, if Adams and Zack were great WR's in 08, they would have found a way to get open like great WR's know how to do.  Before this year everyone was throwing names out as what WR's would step up.  Adams and Zack came up as well as Hawthorne, Carr, Winter, PPL, Benton, Blake, and Wisner.  No one could have known how good Adams and Zack would become with them not playing that great last year.  Everyone knows they had talent as do the other guys, but to be a great receiver you have to prove it on the field.  They hadn't done it before this year.

Your production scenario could work both ways, it could show how good or how bad a player is, but that has no merit to my point, I am talking about youth and inexperience.  They could have easily got frustrated and not have worked hard after 08, many bigtime WR's have in the past (I am not going to throw out names), but Adams and Zack worked hard, studied hard, got better and showed it on the field that they are great, and I was one very happy AU fan.

Why?  They were young and inexperienced in 08, they practiced hard, learned alot and it paid off.

^^^^^

In Malzahn's system.

^^^^^

That probably did have something to do with it, but when you just drop alot of easy passes or run wrong routes, you can't blame the system, they have to man up, take the blame and get better.  That is how you obtain experience.

We have many talented WR's now, the question is who will work hard enough to become great WR's that will play alot and make big plays this year.

^^^^^

You're changing your tune now.  Which one is it?  Do we have great WRs or do we not?  Because, you seem to think we're lacking in that area but now you say we have great ones.  Which one?

^^^^^

WHAT???  we have talented WR's that can become great, to become great you have to show it on the field, read my second sentence... I was just wondering who will work hard and bring it to the field.  Every year you have WR's that end up not living up to their hype for that year.  I was hearing more good things about Hawthorne, PPL, Carr, Winter, Benton and Blake. But they didn't bring it to the field in 09.  I think a few of them will be playing alot this year except Hawthorne of course.

I think Benton, Carr and Blake will become great WR's this year along with Adams and Zack, and we will have 4-5 very good WR's instead of just 2.  Now I am not saying Reed or Goodwin won't make an immediate impact this year, they are very talented already and I know they will compete hard for playing time.

^^^^^

Honestly, this is what I've been saying even though you felt the need to disagree.  There's too much talent on the sidelines already to say we're lacking at WR.  

^^^^^

OMG, When did I disagree???  YES, we have talented players, but to be great they have to show it on the field.  Who besides Adams and Zack has shown it on the field?????  I think we have more talented WR's now than in 04-05.  I simply stated that you almost never see any fresh WR's become starters.  WR is a position that requires learning routes, mechanics, being patient and having nerves of steel when that ball is up in the air and it is you against the defender to fight for that ball.  

Again, there is a ton of talent at WR, but to be great you have to show it on the field.  Most of our WR's haven't shown it on the field except for Adams and Zack.  But I really believe we will have a few more that will show it on the field this year, I am very confident about this and we will have our weapons all over the field.

Do you have a crystal ball???  You said Benton for sure would have had Adams numbers this year if he got the same amount of passes.  Then you say we have great players for sure that haven't even stepped on the field or has got very limited time on the field with not many catches.  READ THIS AGAIN- you have to show it on the field to be great, putting up great numbers.  GOT IT NOW????

One thing we can agree upon, it's great to be an Auburn Tiger, WAR EAGLE!!!

^^^^^

Agreed.

^^^^^^

One thing we can't disagree about.... :banghead:

Ok. so just read this on auburn undercover."All-America receiver has strong interest in Auburn"."The signing of junior college quarterback Cam Newton could lead at least one more top prospect to Auburn. "So when did ambles all of a sudden have a strong intrest in auburn.anybody know anything bout this.

http://www.auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2010/1/23/ambles-has-auburn-connection

Ok. so just read this on auburn undercover."All-America receiver has strong interest in Auburn"."The signing of junior college quarterback Cam Newton could lead at least one more top prospect to Auburn. "So when did ambles all of a sudden have a strong intrest in auburn.anybody know anything bout this.

http://www.auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2010/1/23/ambles-has-auburn-connection

I believe he has all along but the coaches were "iffy" on his character so they didnt pursue him as hard as he would've wanted.

For those of you complaining about Benton's drops, Darvin Adams had quite a few drops during the first two games games on the year as well. He gained confidence and momentum as he got more opportunities. That's why I was a little disappointed in the coaches for giving Benton such little opportunity. Can't get much of a rhythm when you're randomly being put in at the end of blowouts. Same goes for Blake.

Yes, we're pretty loaded at WR. Just because the other guys didn't get many opportunities doesn't mean they don't exist.

Although its very doubtful, If trovon ever swapped over to DB for any reason i believe hed become a thorpe award winner and a 1st rounder when he was a junior. I know everybody saw him cover the much taller Prater in the AAA game..... he locked him up.

As good of a DB prospect that he could be....He's better as a WR. Dude is the next Percy Harvin.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I read where the NCAA ordered 10 cases of  "Official Notification of NCAA Secondary Rules Violations" forms, but had to reorder them once they were made aware that they were all prefilled with Kiffin and UT's information. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well, becoming a Mod didn't make you lose your sense of humor.  :thumbsup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well, becoming a Mod didn't make you lose your sense of humor.  :thumbsup:

Woah.. what did i miss? how long has Birdie been a moderator?

Archived