Official Ambles Thread

AU66

Todd did have his limitations but the other receivers would have gotten the ball more if the got open consistently. So the responsibility of the other receivers not producing should not fall that heavily on Todd.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well plenty of players never play.  Some guys in this class will not materialize.  Some players in the 2011 class will be better and move past them.  PPL, probably never sees the light of day for example.  E. Smith will probably be a role player at best.  If Aycock doesn't make a move this year, he probably won't.  We will always have a full roster of RB's and WR's. Some will never start.  Look at Terry Grant at Bama...starts while young then fades away.  It happens.  Recruiting is an inexact science.  Plus some players get hurt and move on.  Our type of offense needs lots of skill position players anyway.  And defending the spread requires depth at linebacker and in the secondary.  

I expect Fannin and Burns to be the emotional leaders of the offense this year, to the extent that Burns plays.  I wouldnt be shocked to see Fannin play more TB and Burns play some HB this year.  Just sort of doubt that we start McCaleb or a Freshman at tailback early in the season.  

All that being said, these recruits will get to come in and compete for time and contribute. But look for most to have to wait till 2011 to play much.  McCaleb went through spring practice and had more time to learn the offense.  I expect few if any of these young skill players to see a lot of playing time next year on offense.

Todd did have his limitations but the other receivers would have gotten the ball more if the got open consistently. So the responsibility of the other receivers not producing should not fall that heavily on Todd.

exactly! Adams and Zachery were the only ones that produced at the receiver position, thus they got the passes. And Kodi might be a wildcat QB, but last I heard he was working with the receivers. Last year we had 2 reliable receivers, that was it.

exactly! Adams and Zachery were the only ones that produced at the receiver position, thus they got the passes. And Kodi might be a wildcat QB, but last I heard he was working with the receivers. Last year we had 2 reliable receivers, that was it.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I doubt Latt will be the wildcat.  GM likes having a player who can throw the ball.  It is part of what makes the wildcat most effective...  If it was going to be a freshman, look to former QB Trovon Reed.  Otherwise it will probably remain Burns or Fannin.

Darren McFadden was the wildcat...He and Latt have very similar builds and running styles....McFadd did not throw it much.

I doubt Latt will be the wildcat.  GM likes having a player who can throw the ball.  It is part of what makes the wildcat most effective...  If it was going to be a freshman, look to former QB Trovon Reed.  Otherwise it will probably remain Burns or Fannin.

It's more important that you're a good runner rather than a thrower in the wildcat. Either you gash them with runs or throw to a wide open receiver, you don't need Peyton Manning's accuracy. Ronnie Brown is the best there is at running the wildcat and he is not exactly a huge throwing threat.

Burns was ineffective in the wildcat because he's not that great of a runner.

Wildcat = Cam Newton.  Go back and watch the highlight video.  Most of the highlights are him running the ball.

We are not gonna power run with our QB like UF does with Tebow. The only reason Tebow did was because he was their power back, Wildcat QB is best if its a downhill power runner.

do we need Ambles? He's amazing but we are deep in that position.

Do we need Ambles?  Short answer no.  Long answer is that if this kid came up and said that he wanted to play for us, you have to take him.  If you watched the All-American game, he made some kids look like dummies.

Wildcat = Cam Newton...as receiver.  6 foot, 6 inches of him, out wide, going deep, skying high.  Cannot be defended.

I like the way you think Denton.

We are not that deep at WR.Ambles is a beast at WR ,Reed may jump ship,and Richardson is probably not gonna make it.If we dont get Ambles we will pay for it in the future.

Reed's not jumping ship.  He might jump sides of the ball, be our Charles Woodson, or the next collegiate, lockdown Darrelle Revis-esque corner, but he's not jumping ship.  But, yeah, bring on Ambles. 

And, yeah, also, DAycock!  He's the logical choice this side of Spring Football for the wildcat.  Wouldn't even have to change personel from previous play.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I would consider a team having only TWO reliable receivers  to be "broke". I think Trooper would agree. Do you want to be content, or do you want to be happy? I prefer happy....call me crazy.

would not have to change personel with Latt either. The wildcat does not have to throw to be succesful...look at how well ingram did in that spot for uat.

would not have to change personel with Latt either. The wildcat does not have to throw to be succesful...look at how well ingram did in that spot for uat.

Well I don't think Bama's wildcat was all that much to talk about, but the Arkansas wildcat run by Gus was pretty AUsome! I think we can replicate that.  :we:

well i would like to see your definition of what something is worth talking about since Ingram averaged over 9 yards/carry in that formation.

Archived